U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 PM

2,567 posts, read 1,336,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Do you think Canada/Canadians would like such a plan?
Whoever made this map knows nothing about the good people in New Hampshire or Maine. They'd have nothing to do with Canadian gun grabbing and libertarian New Hampshire would scoff at Canadian style wealth redistribution.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:36 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh. I though the thread was about expanding one's country, and annexing some beachfront. My bad. And yes, Vancouver Is. is very nice. But I love California's redwoods and crashing surf. However, the traffic congestion is affecting the quality of life, and the water supply is very iffy. So you're right; why take on other another region's problems, just for a day at the beach? Very practical and wise.
You missed the part on how expanding Canada means the end of Canada. Expansion in this case means domination.

As for trees and beaches with crashing surf...

Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,072,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hey, good for you. You've just unwittingly described Canada's main attribute as a tourist attraction. It's still predominantly a pristine wilderness destination instead of a theme park for the simple minded.

......and with your reply you described exactly what the typical, average Canadian knows about the US...Disneyland, Las Vegas, shopping across the border if he/she lives close enough and one trip a year to Hawaii.....and if he/she is lucky and a good planner, being able to afford as a senior a small condo in a retirement community in Arizona or Florida to escape winter....

Just about the same when it comes to knowing Europe or other places....the major cities and few museums for the lucky ones that can travel outside of North America.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 PM

78,726 posts, read 70,579,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Ever been to Port of Tofino? Crashing surf, basking sea lions, beautiful mature forest setting you have to go through to get to it AND a nude section.

The giving up of something is, I'm sure, offered in the context of traditional Canadian cultural mores being overwhelmed by sheer volume of numbers.
Yes, I have been to Tofino (I was an interpreter for the Russian fishing fleet off the coast), and the west coast of the Is. came to mind when I mentioned "crashing surf". My favorite area, what presents a serious rival to CA scenery, IMO, are the fjords up the inside passage coast of the BC mainland. Someday, I'd like to sail all the way through there up to Alaska.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I have been to Tofino (I was an interpreter for the Russian fishing fleet off the coast), and the west coast of the Is. came to mind when I mentioned "crashing surf". My favorite area, what presents a serious rival to CA scenery, IMO, are the fjords up the inside passage coast of the BC mainland. Someday, I'd like to sail all the way through there up to Alaska.

Tofino is basically all they have in Canada when it come to a relatively easy to reach beach on the open ocean in the west coast.....that's why is overhyped so much....I remember people in Vancouver telling me "...you NEVER been to Tofino?? Reaaaaallllyyy??" like it was some sort of land of unicorn.
I remember how thick were the wet suits of the surfers I met there....in August....

Old 12-19-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Canadians may travel from all over the country to spend summers in Vancouver Island and B.C....fixed for you....

People from "all over the world" may visit B.C. and usually not as the main objective of the trip...
I really wonder what planet you live on sometimes.

International visitor are abundant in BC and on Vancouver Island.

People who visit BC do indeed make it the main part of their trip. Not all, many dip a bit into Alberta to finish off seeing the Rockies.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
......and with your reply you described exactly what the typical, average Canadian knows about the US...Disneyland, Las Vegas, shopping across the border if he/she lives close enough and one trip a year to Hawaii.....and if he/she is lucky and a good planner, being able to afford as a senior a small condo in a retirement community in Arizona or Florida to escape winter....

Just about the same when it comes to knowing Europe or other places....the major cities and few museums for the lucky ones that can travel outside of North America.
I know California well. There really is NOTHING on the coast that would be considered remote or pristine by Canadian standards.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Tofino is basically all they have in Canada when it come to a relatively easy to reach beach on the open ocean in the west coast.....that's why is overhyped so much....I remember people in Vancouver telling me "...you NEVER been to Tofino?? Reaaaaallllyyy??" like it was some sort of land of unicorn.
I remember how thick were the wet suits of the surfers I met there....in August....
...like the surfers in San Fran?

Old 12-19-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

People who visit BC do indeed make it the main part of their trip. Not all, many dip a bit into Alberta to finish off seeing the Rockies.

I wonder the same thing about you....

Visitors.....indeed....not "spending summer", very different....and people with no specific family or friend connections in BC, often visit B.C. as part of a package (especially first timers in North America) when visiting Canada or combined Canada + US.

It is always the hyperbole that gets you Nat....

Old 12-19-2016, 02:54 PM

18,274 posts, read 10,377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

S/he doesn't want to hear any of that pro-Canada stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or