U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 02:55 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...like the surfers in San Fran?

San Francisco is not Southern California is it?? ....

Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
S/he doesn't want to hear any of that pro-Canada stuff.

Being "pro" does not mean being unrealistic....that is the problem I have with many Canadians.....the country is very beautiful but you guys are not happy just with that...you want to believe it is some sort of unique holy place in the world, a paradise on earth...it is not....cannot just be happy that it is very beautiful?? Why you always need to compete?? That, to me, sound like a huge sense of insecurity.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I know California well. There really is NOTHING on the coast that would be considered remote or pristine by Canadian standards.
Ahahahahah....ever been in Humboldt county Nat??

Again...it is always the hyperbole that gets in the way talking to you.....and, by the way, being remote is not a quality per se......sure Canada has places more remote to reach than the California coast...does not mean it cannot be as pristine....

Old 12-19-2016, 03:03 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Being "pro" does not mean being unrealistic....that is the problem I have with many Canadians.....the country is very beautiful but you guys are not happy just with that...you want to believe it is some sort of unique holy place in the world, a paradise on earth...it is not....cannot just be happy that it is very beautiful?? Why you always need to compete?? That, to me, sound like a huge sense of insecurity.
What do you care so much what Canadians think? You seem to think about Canada more than Canadians do, you are in the Canadian section trying to contradict Canadians all the time.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What do you care so much what Canadians think? You seem to think about Canada more than Canadians do, you are in the Canadian section trying to contradict Canadians all the time.
I do not "contradict"...I temper enthusiasm...by the way, I'm Canadian too...

Old 12-19-2016, 03:09 PM

18,280 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Quote:
......and with your reply you described exactly what the typical, average Canadian knows about the US...Disneyland, Las Vegas, shopping across the border if he/she lives close enough and one trip a year to Hawaii.....and if he/she is lucky and a good planner, being able to afford as a senior a small condo in a retirement community in Arizona or Florida to escape winter....

Just about the same when it comes to knowing Europe or other places....the major cities and few museums for the lucky ones that can travel outside of North America.
So it's your contention that multiple thousands of wintering Canadians are only there to see Mickey?

Is it also your contention that those thousands and thousands of multiple month Canadian visitors to the U.S. learn nothing whatsoever about the country while there for months at a time?

I suppose you've realized by now that argument's relevance would equate to Americans being even more ignorant about Canada than you would have originally agreed to given their lack of numbers in comparison to other foreign visitors to Canada.

Perhaps a gentle reminder of per-capita passport ownership for both countries over many decades would be apropos at this juncture?

Lucky enough? Subtlety is not your strong suit.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
So it's your contention that multiple thousands of wintering Canadians are only there to see Mickey?

Is it also your contention that those thousands and thousands of multiple month Canadian visitors to the U.S. learn nothing whatsoever about the country while there for months at a time?

I suppose you've realized by now that argument's relevance would equate to Americans being even more ignorant about Canada than you would have originally agreed to given their lack of numbers in comparison to other foreign visitors to Canada.

Perhaps a gentle reminder of per-capita passport ownership for both countries over many decades would be apropos at this juncture?

Lucky enough? Subtlety is not your strong suit.

Average American more ignorant about Canada than average Canadian about America?? Absolutely, no contest here, many Americans barely know that Canada exists, Canada simply has nothing to offer that America doesn't for their average travelling/vacation needs....however there is a lot of ignorance about America from Canadians as well, rest assured......hopefully when you made the "all we have is theme parks" joke your were....joking indeed then I replied back with another stereotype joke.

Yes indeed there are many Canadians that all they know about the US is LA, Vegas, Hawaii, Florida and Disneyland...

Heck, this entire thread is based in an overly simplistic view (if not outright incorrect) of the so called "liberal states" of the west coast...I bet the author does not know that besides the thin slivers of coastal areas, these so called "liberal states" can be fairly conservative. ..I bet that even in these liberal areas their attitude towards business would be considered too corporation friendly by many in BC, for example.

The passport ownership stats?? Sure more Canadians have passports than Americans, however do not necessarily read too much into it....first of all let's consider that probably having more per-capita immigrants does help (if you look at a year intake vs. total population) and these people, travel internationally to see their families....second, again, in order to enjoy a simple tropical vacation a Canadian does need a passport.....for an American is not necessary...

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-19-2016 at 03:35 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 03:31 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Average American more ignorant about Canada than average Canadian about America?? Absolutely, no contest here, many Americans barely know that Canada exists, Canada simply has nothing to offer that America doesn't for their average travelling/vacation needs....however there is a lot of ignorance about America from Canadians, rest assured......hopefully when you made the "theme park" joke your were....joking indeed then I replied back with another joke.

Yes indeed there are many Canadians that all they know about the US is LA, Vegas, Hawaii, Florida and Disneyland...

The passport ownership stats?? Sure more Canadians have passports than Americans, however do not necessarily read too much into it....first of all let's consider that probably having more per-capita immigrants does help (if you look at a year intake vs. total population) and these people, travel internationally to see their families....second, again, in order to enjoy a simple tropical vacation a Canadian does need a passport.....for an American is not necessary...
Before the US changed the rules and Canadians needed a passport to enter the US, Canadians still per capita held more passports than Americans. Much more.

To say it's simply because we have more immigrants is silly. Canadians have, do and perhaps always will travel more than the average American.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:32 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
He's a "failed" Canadian and is bitter.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
He's a "failed" Canadian and is bitter.

Sure failed Nat...as I told you before, I wish many would be "failed" as I am.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or