U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 10:25 PM

78,936 posts, read 70,745,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Those Democratic states above have 96,716,379 people. They would contribute nearly 3/4ths of this "new country's" GDP, would have more than 4/5ths of the Global 2000 companies, would have 9/10ths of the best universities, the best weather (forests, palm trees, beaches, mountains, deserts), higher GDP per capita and lower household debt (and no housing bubble on the horizon). What do they get by joining Canada, a country with high debt, bad weather, high cost of living, and a housing bubble on the horizon?

Not to mention they'd have to adopt the Queen as their Head of State, a woman whose sole claim to power is being gifted extreme wealth. Americans value meritocracy not aristocratic heredity. We value picking oneself up by the bootstraps, not worshipping a family of inbred royals with overbites.

Canada's a definite upgrade over Mississippi and Alabama. But joining with Canada is still an economic downgrade over those Blue States going it alone.
Canada has high debt? High compared to whose?

RE: the underlined---Monarch, schmonarch. We're desperate, people! The Trainwreck-Elect was confirmed today by the Electoral College! It's written in stone, now; the last hope for a correction is shot. And he just appointed a nutjob extremist as Ambassador to Israel, a guy who wants Israel to take over even MORE territory, and move its capital to Jerusalem. If you think the Near East is a mess now, just wait until the new US administration!

Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,076,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

...higher than American level of debt at the high of the bubble....enough said.....

Old 12-19-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:

Canada's a definite upgrade over Mississippi and Alabama. .
Up to a point....your average middle class American can live in nice parts of Alabama with great weather and a fraction of the cost of living of Canada (mainly real estate).

Old 12-19-2016, 11:32 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
There is no need. That's precisely my point. Thank you. Taking in Canada would be an economic albatross for the Blue States. Canada doesn't produce things people want to buy. Canada doesn't have a single well-known multinational that's not a bank. Blackberry was the big thing for a while but failed. Bombardier is failing as well. So what does Canada bring to the table?

What is the Canadian equivalent of Apple, Google, Facebook, Netflix, Verizon, Visa, Oracle, Microsoft, Disney, Gilead Sciences, Tesla Motors, IBM, Pepsi, America Express, Costco, Amazon, Starbucks, Hewlett-Packard, etc etc? There is none.

Again, Canada's better than Mississippi or Alabama. But it's not better than going in alone. Canada has a nominal GDP per capita (according to the IMF) of $43,413. California is at $61,924. Washington is at $62,213. Massachusetts is at $69,705. Connecticut is at $72,331. New York is at $72,965.

Canada's GDP per capita of $43,413 is closer to Alabama's $42,663 and even lower than Oklahoma's $46,298 than it is to the Blue States.
The message has been brought to you by.......

Btw What is the median income in the U.S vs Canada? Per capita can skew things favouring the few vs the many....

Last edited by fusion2; 12-20-2016 at 12:43 AM..

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 PM

54 posts, read 44,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
nice parts of Alabama
Define what "nice" means though. I lived in Birmingham (which at the time was the biggest city in Alabama)and it was unbearable. The Christian Taliban and the oppressive W.A.S.P. conservative atmosphere made places like Saskatoon look like paradise.

Sure, it looked pretty at the time. But it stops feeling pretty when you realize that, at any point in time, you might end up finding a burning cross in your front yard.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:39 PM

12,703 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Well I've been waiting for someone to notice, but so far nothing. The map maker of this new Canada, can't spell one of our provinces.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:53 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,156,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

RE: the underlined---Monarch, schmonarch. We're desperate, people! The Trainwreck-Elect was confirmed today by the Electoral College! It's written in stone, now; the last hope for a correction is shot. And he just appointed a nutjob extremist as Ambassador to Israel, a guy who wants Israel to take over even MORE territory, and move its capital to Jerusalem. If you think the Near East is a mess now, just wait until the new US administration!
Household debt levels are high in Canada but on a national level I think our debt is the lowest in the G7... Not that boasting about having the lowest high debt levels Is something to be proud of but just throwing it out there, that for Canada its not as high as our fellow G7 colleagues.

It'll certainly be an interesting 4 years for you guys to say the least... Good luck with all that.. You got yourselves in a rut with this one and its gonna have an impact on more than the U.S. I for one am happy to sort of draw a line in the sand with the U.S and say i'm happy be boring, stable and not rocking the boat too much Canada. There is something to be said about being the boring, stable not rocking the boat too much type....

Old 12-20-2016, 12:02 AM

1,147 posts, read 472,444 times
Canada is a much more civilised country. The U.S. has more to learn from Canada than vice versa, and I say this as someone who isn't from North America.

The U.S. is a better option for climate variety, corporations and the entertainment industry. Otherwise, almost every other Western society is better than the United States. America hasn't been the "it" place since the 90s.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzazz33 View Post
Define what "nice" means though. I lived in Birmingham (which at the time was the biggest city in Alabama)and it was unbearable. The Christian Taliban and the oppressive W.A.S.P. conservative atmosphere made places like Saskatoon look like paradise.

Sure, it looked pretty at the time. But it stops feeling pretty when you realize that, at any point in time, you might end up finding a burning cross in your front yard.

I did not get any of these vibes when I visited.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Household debt levels are high in Canada but on a national level I think our debt is the lowest in the G7... Not that boasting about having the lowest high debt levels Is something to be proud of but just throwing it out there, that for Canada its not as high as our fellow G7 colleagues.

Only if you combine private with public debt which in Canada is still reasonably low....private debt is very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or