U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 11:23 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,496,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Obviously the percentage of people supporting secession from Canada is nowhere close to Quebec but Alberta separatism movement is real and actually experienced a small surge lately....

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/t...ew-separatists
That's not exactly supportive of an Alberta separatist movement.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
One of the best easy to understand and funny video about the dilemma we face...global warming is very real but we do not really have a solution if we want to maintain our standard of living....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlbiQj_49o
I think this needs a broad audience. People simply don't understand how much of their existence relies on fossil fuel.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:09 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,078,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That's not exactly supportive of an Alberta separatist movement.
I'm not saying it's supportive but, simply, separatism in Alberta does exists.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:16 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
I don't see how it is possible for the planet to wean itself off fossil fuel. As I posted upthread, fossil fuels are the material used in everyday products. "Crude oil is a source of raw material (feedstock) for making plastics ...". What material will replace plastics?

How much oil is used to make plastic? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

"Until the end of the 19th century, the majority of clothing and other textiles originated from products of living nature like fibers from cotton or wool from animals.17 This trend has drastically shifted and synthetic fibers, which are derived from fossil fuel, currently account for the majority of global fiber production. In 2014, synthetic fibers like polyester, nylon and vinyl accounted for 67.5 percent of global textile production.18 The prominent use of synthetic fibers has created more affordable clothing for the masses, while improving their durability.

From water bottles to medicine bottles, food containers, grocery sacks, medical tubing, toys, insulation and a myriad of other consumer products, everything “plastic” originates from petroleum or natural gas. "

http://www.kindermorgan.com/content/...ssil_Fuels.pdf
It would be a gradual process but it doesn't mean we can't change our behaviour to slow down the impact and ultimately thwart it. The alternative is to do nothing and deny. There are huge things nations and individuals can do to make a difference and the last thing we need is leadership that simply wants to sweep this all under the rug for political and short term purposes.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/env...al-warming.htm

So when I say wean ourselves off fossil fuels, i'm not talking about a clean break. I'm talking about adjusting behaviours on an individual and national level to reduce the impact to the point that we are slowing down and ultimately halting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Just because we use plastic for a bunch of things right now doesn't mean we can't go back to using other materials instead although whether it's worth it is a different question.

Water bottles? use tap water
Food containers? can just reuse glass containers - same with medicine bottles
Grocery bags? can use tougher forms of paper bags or textiles
Toys? most kids have way more toys than they know what to do with and their need for toys to be happy is not that much imo. But they can still be made of other materials like textiles (ex dolls), wood, metal or rubber
Clothing? Having to wear cotton clothes? Oh the horror... I have cotton clothes that I've worn on a regular basis for 10 years and they're still in pretty good shape.

*There are a few cases where using something other than plastic would be highly impractical but I would say that's a pretty small % of plastic consumption

The main challenge would definitely be to shift away from using fossil fuels for energy, which is still by far the biggest use of fossil fuels.
Great post!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-22-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-22-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying it's supportive but, simply, separatism in Alberta does exists.
I would need to see something from a reputable website to believe that.

That odd webpage you linked suggests that Alberta separatism started when Trudeau was elected. That seems rather silly since the NDP decision is far more damaging to the province than a Liberal federal government.

There is no separatist movement in Alberta.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
It would be a gradual process but it doesn't mean we can't change our behaviour to slow down the impact and ultimately thwart it. The alternative is to do nothing and deny. There are huge things nations and individuals can do to make a difference and the last thing we need is leadership that simply wants to sweep this all under the rug for political and short term purposes.

What would it take to reverse global warming? | HowStuffWorks

So when I say wean ourselves off fossil fuels, i'm not talking about a clean break. I'm talking about adjusting behaviours on an individual and national level to reduce the impact to the point that we are slowing down and ultimately halting it.

Great post!
Start by asking everyone to give up all plastics, cars, tires for their cars, tires for their bicycles, and medical products.

How does that help anyone?

Old 12-22-2016, 05:23 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,168,036 times
Quote:
Start by asking everyone to give up all plastics, cars, tires for their cars, tires for their bicycles, and medical products.

How does that help anyone?
Actually I think if you read Memph's post and also the link I provided it goes into detail about that. As I said, it isn't a clean break - its reduction on an individual and national level. Targeted goals can make a difference. A good example on an individual level is choice of vehicle you drive. Its not saying thou should not drive and must give up his car - its saying buy a less polluting vehicle. It'll do the same job as your super sized gas guzzling SUV.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,935,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Parce que I don't think que c'est accurate.
Lol..I mean MDR

Old 12-22-2016, 06:03 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,760,094 times
Quote:
There is no separatist movement in Alberta.
Well, nothing serious, and I'm not sure it even counts as a movement. There are grumblings about what Ottawa plans to do (or does), but those grumblings are a far cry from being separatist. Certainly, there is no coherent and organized movement such as we saw in Quebec in the 1990s.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 PM

18,346 posts, read 10,414,903 times
Those of an age that can remember the Crownest pass rates or more simply "crow rates" for shipments of wheat and the later Lougheed "Let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark" motivated by Trudeau's failed PetroCanada experiment can readily attest to ill feelings and to a large extent; their legitimacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or