U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 04:09 PM

7,223 posts, read 6,572,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
But:

1) you'd be leaving the part of America that is sinking fast behind,
2) Canada could use a lot of the innovation places like New York and California bring, and
3) Canada doesn't want to have to deal with an America that has sunk.
You are suggesting abandonment and theft from a friend in distress.

You are an American living in Canada, but you are still thinking like an American, not like a Canadian, even after being in Canada for 5 years. If even you can't stop thinking like an American after 5 years in Canada, and you want to change Canada now, then what makes you think that 70 million Americans who joined Canada would stop thinking like Americans and would not want to change Canada to American ways? If you can't shake off what has been bred in the bone in you, why do you think 70 million other Americans can easily shake it off?

You are not thinking right. And to suggest that you "understand Canada's schadenfreude" about America demonstrates even more that you are thinking like an American who does not understand Canada. There is NO schadenfreude for you to understand and it is a cruel thing for you to suggest there is. Canada is very concerned and sympathetic about America's problems, it is not gloating and taking satisfaction from them.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:18 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

You are an American living in Canada, but you are still thinking like an American, not like a Canadian, even after being in Canada for 5 years. If even you can't stop thinking like an American after 5 years in Canada, and you want to change Canada now, then what makes you think that 70 million Americans who joined Canada would stop thinking like Americans and would not want to change Canada to American ways? If you can't shake off what has been bred in the bone in you, why do you think 70 million other Americans can easily shake it off?

You are not thinking right. And to suggest that you "understand Canada's schadenfreude" about America demonstrates even more that you are thinking like an American who does not understand Canada. There is NO schadenfreude for you to understand and it is a cruel thing for you to suggest there is. Canada is very concerned and sympathetic about America's problems, it is not gloating and taking satisfaction from them.

Exactly. I've had some pretty intense conversations with my American friends who are deeply upset. I take NO pleasure in their pain.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:27 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly. I've had some pretty intense conversations with my American friends who are deeply upset. I take NO pleasure in their pain.
I'm down here among them and witnessing more uncertainty than I've ever seen before. The normal self-assured demeanor is a thing of the past among so many now it's shocking in scope.

Even a lot of those who are pleased with the election outcome are displaying the doubts of those who may have chosen the wrong road to cross the outback. Their eyes are glued to the needle of the fuel gauge now while listening for any hiccup the engine might make.

My group of immediate friends being of advanced age is insulated somewhat from the total meltdown fears but they worry for their off-spring's future in what seems a universal belief it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

More than a little disquieting to watch this unfolding up close and personal.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:33 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,071,152 times
How many times we heard that America is finished?? Guess what, it never happened....actually it always ended up being stronger.

Canada has its own share of problems and they are pretty big....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm down here among them and witnessing more uncertainty than I've ever seen before. The normal self-assured demeanor is a thing of the past among so many now it's shocking in scope.

Even a lot of those who are pleased with the election outcome are displaying the doubts of those who may have chosen the wrong road to cross the outback. Their eyes are glued to the needle of the fuel gauge now while listening for any hiccup the engine might make.

My group of immediate friends being of advanced age is insulated somewhat from the total meltdown fears but they worry for their off-spring's future in what seems a universal belief it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

More than a little disquieting to watch this unfolding up close and personal.
I think you are seeing what you want to believe you are seeing....the only "uncertainty" I seen is some people still shell shocked by how the media got this election wrong....everything is as normal as ever and I live in a deep blue state (at leadt a deep blue part of the state).

Old 12-18-2016, 06:08 PM

701 posts, read 896,010 times
Quote:
American " liberals" are not exactly the same as Canadian " liberals "...a term that doesn't have the same connotations as it does in the US, where you divide people into either right or left more easily.

For example, a Canadian conservative can easily believe in strict gun control laws, abortion rights and equal marriage and still be considered a conservative.

It's a much more complicated fit.
Well, in the US, "Liberal"/"Conservative" is not really the nomenclature that applies anymore. More like "sane" and "insane", or "belives facts"/"makes up own facts".

The sane/facts-based people would recognize Canada's by and large rational way of doing things as something they'd wholeheartedly support (and be grateful to be a part of).

Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,364,041 times
Didn't even include Minneapolis?

Old 12-18-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Interesting points. I'm not sure what "thinking like an American" means, or "thinking like a Canadian". I'd be interested to know specifically what you're referring to there. I find Canada far more heterogeneous that most Americans would expect.

Although I strongly disagree with your view that Canada is viewing America like a "friend in distress". While most Canadians seem pretty aware of the importance of a good relationship with such a gargantuan neighbor economy, I have met precious few Canadians who see America as any kind of "friend". I hope I'm just missing it.

Last edited by qwerbilzak; 12-18-2016 at 06:24 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would prefer to keep the two countries separate as it would create too much chaos to merge even the blue states with Canada. It would be much more practical to have an EU/Trans Tasman type arrangement. That way those Americans from the blue states that really wanted to adopt a Canadian way of life could fairly easily choose to do so provided they abide by our laws. Same goes for Canadians who want to move south.
Makes sense. Though as much as the US could benefit from the sanity of Canada's laws, Canada could benefit from the US job market and entrepreneurial spirit and financing which is much more tamped down in Canada.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:16 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Well, in the US, "Liberal"/"Conservative" is not really the nomenclature that applies anymore. More like "sane" and "insane", or "belives facts"/"makes up own facts".

The sane/facts-based people would recognize Canada's by and large rational way of doing things as something they'd wholeheartedly support (and be grateful to be a part of).
I agree. I'm not saying there aren't overlaps of beliefs between US liberals, and Canadians, just that the mindsets and way of doing things might not align as much.

I just think it's best for liberal Americans who see Canada as an alternative to just immigrate. Americans make great immigrants to Canada...I have a few friends who have done so.

It makes sense that if people like Canada and her ways, just keep Canada, Canada and not Canada with an LA and a NYC etc.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well that's very good to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or