U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-25-2016, 09:13 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,485,057 times
Reputation: 4657

Advertisements

Wouldn't that be wonderful if Canada's head of the military and Prime Minister both had ancestry in the Middle East!
The next step might be appointing someone with Middle Eastern heritage to the head of the RCMP, and as Governor Generals, and voila - a transplanted culture (soft-invasion).

Would the USA feel threatened by Canada if that happened?

 
Old 12-25-2016, 09:33 PM
 
213 posts, read 160,861 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
They want the U.S.A. to burn. Many Canadians in this forum are frothing anti-Americans who loathe the fact that the U.S. is the strongest power on Earth. They hate that Canada is in the shadows of the USA, and want nothing but to put the U.S. in its place.

For over 50 years, the bridge between the Francophone Quebecois and the Anglo Americans has been an incessant and irrational hatred of Americans. Canadians derive their identity from "not being American", so they need to constantly criticize the U.S. to affirm their common identity (which they lack outside of hating America.)

But don't take my word for it, the U.S. State Department says so itself: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...a-08OTTAWA1258







The U.S. government even has file folders on the Canadian inferiority complex. It's very sad that the Canadian people don't devote their talents to anything but obsessive invectives against Americans.
Wow, delusional much?


I think you'll find that these days most Canadians don't think too much about the US, except "There but for the grace of god go I."
 
Old 12-25-2016, 09:38 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,187,838 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
Wow, delusional much?


I think you'll find that these days most Canadians don't think too much about the US, except "There but for the grace of god go I."
I can say in 38 years in several parts of the U.S. I never met a person with opinions such as this "manitopiaa" person ....
 
Old 12-25-2016, 09:50 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,071,152 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That's not true. There was a female Prime Minister at one point.
She never got elected though.....
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,057 posts, read 848,845 times
Reputation: 1315
It won't happen, but if California wanted to go on their own, they agreed to take on their share of the federal debt and buy back the federally-owned land in the state, and there was massive public support for it, I say let them go; same for New England and Hawaii. If CA+HI+WA+OR and New England then petition Canada for admission as provinces, Canada is free to do as they see fit...providing the provinces-to-be can convince two-thirds of the provinces, the House of Commons, and the Senate to let them in.

Federal elections would be interesting just off of seat distributions alone. For example, the Province of New York would have more seats than Ontario. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Actually, the point of this thread is to ask whether the liberal states should join with Canada. I pointed out that Canada is much, much, much poorer than the Blue States ($65k GDP PC vs. $43k in Canada) so the value derived from a merger would be deleterious to Blue States. That is the crux of my argument and all Canadians here seem to be blindly oblivious to that argument because nobody's responded to it.

It's much easier for the Canadians here to scream "DONALD TRUMP!!" as if that automatically renders every American argument moot.

The U.S. is actually the only Western nation where the Left has won the popular vote in 6 of the past 7 elections. That is a fact. That Trump won in 2016 due to our Electoral College does not dismiss the fact that the American people have not given the GOP a mandate since 2004. 1992, 1996, 2000, 2008, 2012 and 2016 were all Dem wins. Considering Trump has a 41% approval rating and 37% favorability rating during his honeymoon, he'll likely lose the PV in 2020 as well (whether he wins the Rust Belt will determine whether he stays in power).

So you trying to cast America as some far-right hellhole is odd. But this is nothing new for many Canadians, who seem to have orgasms when anything bad befalls the U.S.
Maybe not Trump, but the GOP does have a mandate, like it or not. While we complain about Trump, people might not have noticed that the GOP has full control of just under two-thirds of state legislatures, control of 31 governorships, control of the Senate, control of the House, and under the rules of our Constitution, control of the White House. From a legislative perspective, all the opposition party has is the Senate filibuster, 18 governors, and the hope that their base will get off their butts and vote at all levels in every election. Say what you will about the GOP, but they vote in every last election, even the ones that you don't think they'd care enough to vote in.

- skbl17

Last edited by skbl17; 12-25-2016 at 10:20 PM..
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:13 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,485,057 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
She never got elected though.....
Nevertheless, Ms Kim Campbell was Prime Minister of Canada, and therefore there is a history of a female Prime Minister in Canada, yet the US cannot manage this. Claiming racial parity in the US is important, therefore the remark about electing a president with a different skin colour is significant in the USA. Equality is important in Canada, and the accomplishment of women being viewed as persons and as Prime Minister is significant, more important than skin colour.

It is a global challenge today to achieve a world where females are persons and to receive equal opportunity and compensation to men. It has been a USA challenge for decades to view people with different coloured skin as persons and equal.
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That's not true. There was a female Prime Minister at one point.

Canada is only 150 years old, founded on European immigrants, and there just isn't a long history of people from other parts of the world. I'm confident that as Canada ages, and the population changes, there will be a Prime Minister with ancestry in the Middle East. Be patient.
Who was not elected and led the Conservatives to a 154 seat loss in 1993 (down to 2 seats total). Please re-read what I posted: The Canadian people have never elected as PM someone who isn't a straight white male.

So the U.S. has had an African-American President but we're still "impaired" by our "slave history." Yet Canada has never elected someone who's not a white straight male but we're supposed to believe Canada is a land of progressive values and forward-thinking citizens? Hypocrisy much?

And Hillary Clinton last month became the first woman to win the most votes in a U.S. Presidential Election. When will super-tolerant and progressive Canada do the same?
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:39 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,071,152 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Nevertheless, Ms Kim Campbell was Prime Minister of Canada, and therefore there is a history of a female Prime Minister in Canada, yet the US cannot manage this. Claiming racial parity in the US is important, therefore the remark about electing a president with a different skin colour is significant in the USA. Equality is important in Canada, and the accomplishment of women being viewed as persons and as Prime Minister is significant, more important than skin colour.

It is a global challenge today to achieve a world where females are persons and to receive equal opportunity and compensation to men. It has been a USA challenge for decades to view people with different coloured skin as persons and equal.

I think that on social progress the US is actually not much behind Canada but, actually, often it has been on the forefront. Same sex marriage was legalized in Mass pretty much immediately after Ontario, we legalized light drug use before Canada (in some states), first non white head of government (do not kid yourself, it would be important for Canada too).
We have more minorities and women in position of power (public office and corporations). Skilled immigrants in the US tend to be more successful compared to their counterparts in Canada.
Do not forget Geraldine Ferraro which was a vice president candidate already in 1984.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-25-2016 at 10:55 PM..
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:41 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
It won't happen, but if California wanted to go on their own, they agreed to take on their share of the federal debt and buy back the federally-owned land in the state, and there was massive public support for it, I say let them go; same for New England and Hawaii. If CA+HI+WA+OR and New England then petition Canada for admission as provinces, Canada is free to do as they see fit...providing the provinces-to-be can convince two-thirds of the provinces, the House of Commons, and the Senate to let them in.

Federal elections would be interesting just off of seat distributions alone. For example, the Province of New York would have more seats than Ontario. Hmmm...



Maybe not Trump, but the GOP does have a mandate, like it or not. While we complain about Trump, people might not have noticed that the GOP has full control of just under two-thirds of state legislatures, control of 31 governorships, control of the Senate, control of the House, and under the rules of our Constitution, control of the White House. From a legislative perspective, all the opposition party has is the Senate filibuster, 18 governors, and the hope that their base will get off their butts and vote at all levels in every election. Say what you will about the GOP, but they vote in every last election, even the ones that you don't think they'd care enough to vote in.

- skbl17
The GOP wins because of gerrymandering, voter suppression, Russian intervention and bending the rules by using Boards of Election to cutback voting hours in cities and purging voter rolls (see North Carolina). Their federal power is no more legitimate to me than that of Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe.

The day the GOP dies is the day I can die in peace. And their disregard for our national security by allowing Russians access to national secrets (just to spite Democrats) is borderline treasonous imo. Thank God in 25 years, their base will be mostly dead of old age and the Progressive Majority can begin fixing this country from the ground up. Conservatism and Reaganite Economics has been a cancer on this country for too long.
 
Old 12-25-2016, 10:47 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,107,211 times
Reputation: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Nevertheless, Ms Kim Campbell was Prime Minister of Canada, and therefore there is a history of a female Prime Minister in Canada, yet the US cannot manage this. Claiming racial parity in the US is important, therefore the remark about electing a president with a different skin colour is significant in the USA. Equality is important in Canada, and the accomplishment of women being viewed as persons and as Prime Minister is significant, more important than skin colour.

It is a global challenge today to achieve a world where females are persons and to receive equal opportunity and compensation to men. It has been a USA challenge for decades to view people with different coloured skin as persons and equal.
Kim Campbell was chosen in smoked-filled back rooms, not elected. She had no mandate and was a scapegoat. She then led her party to disastrous losses in 1993. Calling her short-lived PM a 'breakthrough' for women is laughable.

Quote:
It has been a USA challenge for decades to view people with different coloured skin as persons and equal.
Are you going to play the "but in Canada we're perfect card."? Who is the lady who's going to be on your money? Viola Desmond? And what is she famous for again?

Canada has a history of racial discrimination as well. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top