U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-26-2016, 02:43 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,496,960 times
Reputation: 4657

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ya'll willing to learn Spanish?
Not at all. If Californians wants to join Canada, they'll first have to pass the TOEFL.

 
Old 12-26-2016, 03:01 PM
 
213 posts, read 161,507 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you really believe that 62 million Americans voted for Trump because they are stupid, then I pity you.

You're absolutely correct.


Several tens of millions of people voted for him because they're racists.
 
Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,707 posts, read 8,789,429 times
Reputation: 7319
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Both countries have done a lot to advance social progress. I think the times you have advanced social progress are the times you have elected really quite powerful and progressive social leaders. Problem is its like a pendulum - swings far one way and than so far the other. You go from Clinton to GWB Barack Obama to WTF lol...

As for Canada not electing a leader of colour. I think a part of it is that we've only been a nation with a decent crop of vis mins for about 70 years. The U.S had a lot more blacks as a representation of the population throughout its history than Canada has had. Both countries have a ways to go but I don't think there is any denying that its quite disheartening that you would go from the nations first African American President to this this ok fine i'll say it President Donald John Trump the 45 President of the United States with a Cabinet that would make 1950's white America largely smile both in whiteness and in social outlook.

Part of what I like about Canada is even our right doesn't swing right far right on the social progress pendulum. Stephen Harper pissed me off with some things but nothing fundamentally offensive or regressive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rona Ambrose at a Drag Show at Woody's here in Toronto - she's pretty damned cool and a good person actually.
On social advancement for LGBTQ. Canada is more progressive. Only 19 states have protections statewide protecting people from being fired for being gay.

https://www.fastcompany.com/3057357/...for-being-lgbt

Many states don't allow gay couples to adopt. Here in BC, gay couples could adopt since 1996, before equal marriage was law.

Many States Still Prohibit Gay Adoption

So even though equal marriage is legal in both countries, the US is far more regressive in overall rights.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-26-2016 at 04:35 PM..
 
Old 12-26-2016, 04:50 PM
 
6,625 posts, read 4,130,852 times
Reputation: 17019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
You're absolutely correct.


Several tens of millions of people voted for him because they're racists.
Oh yeah, that's right. But you forgot the misogynists and homophobes.
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,078,581 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Moonstone View Post
You're absolutely correct.


Several tens of millions of people voted for him because they're racists.

Talking about making stupid comments...look in the mirror....
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:20 PM
 
2,218 posts, read 1,132,585 times
Reputation: 583
It's more like the other way around with the US annexing parts of Canada!
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Land Of Smiles
293 posts, read 162,697 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
By your logic Hillary Clinton isnt a corrupt criminal but that didnt stop the vast majority of Trump voters labeling her as such..
Yes, Hillary isn't a corrupt criminal before it is proven, and Trump is not a sexual predator, similarly.

It is strange that you are so negative of Trump, but at the same time justify your argument comparing it to the behaviour of Trump supporters ("a basket of deplorables").
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Land Of Smiles
293 posts, read 162,697 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
It's more like the other way around with the US annexing parts of Canada!
Yes, that looks more probable. Canada has no core identity (words of Mr Trudeau), and I believe a strong identity is necessary to be able to expand.
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:45 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,496,960 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
It's more like the other way around with the US annexing parts of Canada!
The US was unable to annex Cuba, so there's no chance that Canada can be annexed.
 
Old 12-26-2016, 05:46 PM
 
30,200 posts, read 47,428,287 times
Reputation: 16126
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If you really believe that 62 million Americans voted for Trump because they are stupid, then I pity you.
I pity all Americans with him as President---
He is basically a very weak person---
Only the weak are so defensive and always looking to tell everyone how strong they are...always looking for a fight to prove how tough they are...always bragging about how they came out on top...
Hey, if you are really #1 YOU don't have to brag on yourself...it is pretty evident facts speak for themselves...

Obama was not a perfect President and I was disappointed in his inability to really stand up to the GOP bullies---he was almost too smart because he tried to find the perfect solution to please everyone, definitely too "nice", and also inexperienced in Congressional politics...
Trump is not smart/intellectual/disciplined, and he too is inexperienced in Congressional politics---
His main exposure to politicians is bribing them to gain special dispensations for projects...
If he uses that same approach, I think we are in big trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top