Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 06:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm down here among them and witnessing more uncertainty than I've ever seen before. The normal self-assured demeanor is a thing of the past among so many now it's shocking in scope.

Even a lot of those who are pleased with the election outcome are displaying the doubts of those who may have chosen the wrong road to cross the outback. Their eyes are glued to the needle of the fuel gauge now while listening for any hiccup the engine might make.

My group of immediate friends being of advanced age is insulated somewhat from the total meltdown fears but they worry for their off-spring's future in what seems a universal belief it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

More than a little disquieting to watch this unfolding up close and personal.
Excellent, and I think very accurate post.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
How many times we heard that America is finished?? Guess what, it never happened....actually it always ended up being stronger.

Canada has its own share of problems and they are pretty big....

I think you are seeing what you want to believe you are seeing....the only "uncertainty" I seen is some people still shell shocked by how the media got this election wrong....everything is as normal as ever and I live in a deep blue state (at leadt a deep blue part of the state).
I think you're right that Americans dramatically underestimate the seriousness of Canada's very real issues.

I couldn't disagree more about the uncertainty. Virtually everyone I know is living in a state of stunned disbelief and fear with what the US might become. Every new horrific person Trump appoints makes the situation worse as the hope that he'd become less extreme after the election fades.

America is certainly not finished, and it will probably end up being stronger militarily anyway. But all indications are it will be a terrible place to live (compared to Canada, anyway) for all but the most fortunate quintiles.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:51 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You know Americans are getting desperate when.....
Regardless of their political orientation. I doubt that many Americans on either side of the nation's current polarization are "getting desperate"; that description could only be applied to the less-seasoned "snowflakes" drawn to the Clinton campaign, and a number of fringe groups focused on various single issues -- many of which can't be characterized as right- or leftist.

I voted, but for neither Trump, or Clinton, and while I consider Trump nothing better than the lesser of two evils, It's my hope that once the final phase of the electoral "spasm" passes. we can return to business as "usual"(?) -- and devote more of our attention to fine-tuning a system that has worked well for most of the past two-and-a-half centuries. The American Experiment is not in immediate danger, and the results of the past election cycle serve as proof. The Founding Fathers intended the Capitol, rather than the White House, to be the true center of American participatory democracy.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:54 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I couldn't disagree more about the uncertainty. Virtually everyone I know is living in a state of stunned disbelief and fear with what the US might become. Every new horrific person Trump appoints makes the situation worse as the hope that he'd become less extreme after the election fades.

America is certainly not finished, and it will probably end up being stronger militarily anyway. But all indications are it will be a terrible place to live (compared to Canada, anyway) for all but the most fortunate quintiles.

I could not disagree more on this....the only folks "in disbelief" are the people that swallowed the "other side narrative hook, line and sinker. (disclaimer I did not vote for either candidate).

Despite not voting for them, up to this election I thought, indeed, of the average Democrat as a bit more rational and less prone to hyperbole than the voters on the other side, I did give them that at least...sadly I changed my mind since Nov. 8.

Terrible place to live?? In the real world, at least the one I live in, there are quite a lot of Canadians that would give up their first born for an American Green Card (I lived in both countries) and not the other way around, the US remains a magnet for foreign immigrants much more than Canada will ever be.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-18-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
I live in suburban MD and everyone is fine despite them all being democrats. They were pretty surprised on November 9th but then people moved on. Our economy is booming, people all over want to move here, kids playing soccer, new office buildings, metro construction, lots of Holiday decorations are coming up, things are looking good.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
In the real world, at least the one I live in, there are quite a lot of Canadians that would give up their first born for an American Green Card (I lived in both countries), the US remains a magnet for foreign immigrants much more than Canada will ever be.
I'm not sure if your "real world" has any statistical significance (you offer no evidence), and I have no evidence either, but I'd bet $100,000 that on a percentage of total population basis, far more Americans would like to go to Canada now than vice versa.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I live in suburban MD and everyone is fine despite them all being democrats. They were pretty surprised on November 9th but then people moved on. Our economy is booming, people all over want to move here, kids playing soccer, new office buildings, metro construction, lots of Holiday decorations are coming up, things are looking good.
I agree, for the elite, things are looking good. For the bottom 80%, not so much.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
How many times we heard that America is finished?? Guess what, it never happened....actually it always ended up being stronger.

Canada has its own share of problems and they are pretty big....

I think you are seeing what you want to believe you are seeing....the only "uncertainty" I seen is some people still shell shocked by how the media got this election wrong....everything is as normal as ever and I live in a deep blue state (at leadt a deep blue part of the state).
Aw c'mon now. It would take an especially nasty individual to desire seeing their friends worrying over anything. I'll just put that one down to you not liking what you read.

I cannot speak from personal experience during those crisis's faced by the U.S. prior to my lifetime but can certainly speak to some of them during my 70 years and never have I ever heard it hypothesized America being "finished", never.

Don't attribute words to me that were not used. No one is suggesting "America is finished". "Uncertainty" is the word I used and that is in the context of a way of life about to undergo a change.

Certainly Canada has some big problems. Would it be your contention Canadians are as worried for their future as Americans currently are?

Could it be that it is you wanting to read things into other's opinions YOU desire?

Old 12-18-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
I'm not sure if your "real world" has any statistical significance (you offer no evidence),
The people that I know in both places, this is my real world.

Quote:
but I'd bet $100,000 that on a percentage of total population basis, far more Americans would like to go to Canada now than vice versa.
I'm ready to take that bet and up the ante 10 times...not even a context, way far more Canadians (percentage of the population) want to go to the US and not the other way around...some Americans (sadly) barely know that Canada even exist.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aw c'mon now. It would take an especially nasty individual to desire seeing their friends worrying over anything. I'll just put that one down to you not liking what you read.

I cannot speak from personal experience during those crisis's faced by the U.S. prior to my lifetime but can certainly speak to some of them during my 70 years and never have I ever heard it hypothesized America being "finished", never.

Don't attribute words to me that were not used. No one is suggesting "America is finished". "Uncertainty" is the word I used and that is in the context of a way of life about to undergo a change.

Certainly Canada has some big problems. Would it be your contention Canadians are as worried for their future as Americans currently are?

Could it be that it is you wanting to read things into other's opinions YOU desire?

What "uncertainty" people that you know fear?? What is going to happen??....real world: Economy is booming, job market is getting tight, business formation is roaring back, American innovation seem unstoppable, stock market keep making new high......yes a lot of "uncertainty" around....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-18-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada