U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2017, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Not to mention your airlines and airports. Outrageous fees at every corner and absurd travel costs. Never paying Air Canada another cent.
Most US airports are trying to play catch up with the rest of the world. I'd put Pearson and Vancouver's airport agains ANY in the us.

Vancouver is rated the best in North America. Outrageous fees? The airport improvement fees are small and they help make those airports better. Look up how we in Canada fund and run our airports compared to your model.

People in NYC are ashamed of the two airports. La Guardia looks like a bus station. Honolulu is another embarrassment. The few good airports you have still don't compare to what is available in other countries.

Even your vice-president said as much.

 
Old 01-01-2017, 04:11 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,492,045 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most US airports are trying to play catch up with the rest of the world. I'd put Pearson and Vancouver's airport agains ANY in the us.

Vancouver is rated the best in North America. Outrageous fees? The airport improvement fees are small and they help make those airports better. Look up how we in Canada fund and run our airports compared to your model.

People in NYC are ashamed of the two airports. La Guardia looks like a bus station. Honolulu is another embarrassment. The few good airports you have still don't compare to what is available in other countries.

Even your vice-president said as much.
The Atlanta airport is impressive.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The Atlanta airport is impressive.
Well I did say there were some nice airports. His hollow point was to simply rag on Canadian airports in general because of fees. My point is those fees serve a purpose, and to point out how the two countries run and fund their airports differently. The very fact some of their major airports are in much needed care is nothing for them to be proud of.

Both countries can look towards Asia and Europe for even better airports.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 05:46 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,492,045 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well I did say there were some nice airports. His hollow point was to simply rag on Canadian airports in general because of fees. My point is those fees serve a purpose, and to point out how the two countries run and fund their airports differently. The very fact some of their major airports are in much needed care is nothing for them to be proud of.

Both countries can look towards Asia and Europe for even better airports.
If memory serves, Canadian airlines followed USA airlines with charging for a second stored bag.
It's my experience that most passengers opt to take their baggage onboard to avoid extra fees, and then the airline announces that there's not enough room for the baggage so the baggage is stored in the cargo area for free.

Worst airline is United Airlines.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She died a long time ago.
And your statement was that, "Canada has a history of respect for multiculturalism - moreso than the USA."

Where is that history?
Viola Desmond was 1946, about the same time as the U.S. Civil Rights movement began to rise.

And lest we forget, the last Canadian Indian residential school closed in 1996. Or is 1996 a long time ago?

As much as the Canadian nationalists like to argue that Canada is a racial paradise, reality says otherwise:
Highway of Tears murders
Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst
New archive highlights years of racism faced by Chinese Canadians
Indigenous military members endure 'systemic' racism, report claims
 
Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Most US airports are trying to play catch up with the rest of the world. I'd put Pearson and Vancouver's airport agains ANY in the us.

Vancouver is rated the best in North America. Outrageous fees? The airport improvement fees are small and they help make those airports better. Look up how we in Canada fund and run our airports compared to your model.

People in NYC are ashamed of the two airports. La Guardia looks like a bus station. Honolulu is another embarrassment. The few good airports you have still don't compare to what is available in other countries.

Even your vice-president said as much.
You are comparing the worst of the worst in the US to the best in Canada. Woefully biased as always.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Is this a problem for you? I've never heard the subject brought up here in Canada which i would assume relegates this information to "Who cares" status here in Canada.
I'm a racial minority. But nice try trying to label me a racist

It's not brought up in Canada because Canada has half the racial diversity of the US.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
If memory serves, Canadian airlines followed USA airlines with charging for a second stored bag.
It's my experience that most passengers opt to take their baggage onboard to avoid extra fees, and then the airline announces that there's not enough room for the baggage so the baggage is stored in the cargo area for free.

Worst airline is United Airlines.
Yes, United Airlines and Air Canada are the worst I've experienced in North America by far.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,492,045 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
And your statement was that, "Canada has a history of respect for multiculturalism - moreso than the USA."

Where is that history?
Viola Desmond was 1946, about the same time as the U.S. Civil Rights movement began to rise.

And lest we forget, the last Canadian Indian residential school closed in 1996. Or is 1996 a long time ago?

As much as the Canadian nationalists like to argue that Canada is a racial paradise, reality says otherwise:
Highway of Tears murders
Welcome to Winnipeg: Where Canada’s racism problem is at its worst
New archive highlights years of racism faced by Chinese Canadians
Indigenous military members endure 'systemic' racism, report claims
What exactly is the point?
Do you want to say that the USA does not have an ongoing problem with racial tension?
Do you hope to pull Canada down to the level of the USA and imply that Canada suffers the same problems?

p.s.: I hope you realize that the Highway of Tears murders has nothing to do with race, and that the one guilty party, so far, is a deceased nomadic construction worker from the USA.

Last edited by Lieneke; 01-01-2017 at 07:34 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2017, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,111,285 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What exactly is the point?
Do you want to say that the USA does not have an ongoing problem with racial tension?
Do you hope to pull Canada down to the level of the USA and imply that Canada suffers the same problems?

p.s.: I hope you realize that the Highway of Tears murders has nothing to do with race, and that the one guilty party, so far, is a deceased nomadic construction worker from the USA.
You stated that Canada has a history of tolerance and multiculturalism. The point is that your statement is not born by the facts. Canada is not the Southern United States, sure. But this attempt to market Canada as a racial paradise is a bit odd given the articles I've cited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top