U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-01-2017, 08:14 PM
 
18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Reputation: 13378

Advertisements

History being the operative word; we're making more of it every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multic...lism_in_Canada

Why is Canada the most tolerant country in the world? Luck - The Globe and Mail

"But for the most part, Inuvik is a (very) small and (very) northern version of Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver: a place where people of different cultures live together peacefully. This fall, 120 children from all backgrounds will learn and play together in the new day-care centre. There are 100 Muslims in Inuvik, with their own mosque. (Where else in the world can you step out of an airport in a High Arctic town and hear two taxi drivers chatting in Arabic?) If aboriginal and non-aboriginal can get along in Inuvik, then why not everywhere else?"

 
Old 01-01-2017, 08:26 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,492,045 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You stated that Canada has a history of tolerance and multiculturalism. The point is that your statement is not born by the facts. Canada is not the Southern United States, sure. But this attempt to market Canada as a racial paradise is a bit odd given the articles I've cited.
Counter-examples that include the murder of hitch-hikers by a USA citizen on a Northern highway show a preference to believe propaganda (which tends to focus on aboriginal victims), rather than an interest in understanding the facts of the case.

Canada has a history of tolerance and multiculturalism. This did not happen overnight, so obviously it is possible to cite events that led to this tolerance.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 472,244 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Ethnic Diversity: US has people from more nationalities present in the U.S.
Ethnicity and nationality are different concepts.

However, since you've mentioned "nationalities" – let's compare each nation's foreign-born population. Provide the data.

Let's also compare immigrant intake per capita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Diversity Dispersion: Canada's "diverse" groups are all urban with the sole exception of the First Nations. In the U.S., Hispanics, Blacks and Native Americans all have large presences in rural areas
Quantify "large presence" so we can compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
White Diversity: US Whites are far more diverse than those of Canada who are nearly all from the British Isles and France.
Please quantify "nearly all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
In the U.S., there is no one dominant group with Germans, Scottish, Irish, English, Italians and French having big roles (+Spanish in New Mexico, Dutch in Michigan, Finnish in Minnesota, etc).
How many White Americans are currently first or second-generation?

How many can speak their language of origin(s)?

How many still practice the culture(s) of their origin(s)?

White Americans have become so disconnected from their European origins that many identify as "White" alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You stated that Canada has a history of tolerance and multiculturalism. The point is that your statement is not born by the facts.
I thought multiculturalism is protected by Canada's Constitution. Am I incorrect?

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 01-01-2017 at 09:09 PM..
 
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 PM
 
1,147 posts, read 472,244 times
Reputation: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Ethnic Diversity: US has people from more nationalities present in the U.S.
Ethnicity and nationality are different concepts.

However, since you've mentioned "nationalities" – let's compare each nation's foreign-born population and net migration rate. Provide the data because I'm curious about the validity of your claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Diversity Dispersion: Canada's "diverse" groups are all urban with the sole exception of the First Nations. In the U.S., Hispanics, Blacks and Native Americans all have large presences in rural areas
Quantify "large presence" so we can compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
White Diversity: US Whites are far more diverse than those of Canada who are nearly all from the British Isles and France.
Please quantify "nearly all".

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
In the U.S., there is no one dominant group with Germans, Scottish, Irish, English, Italians and French having big roles (+Spanish in New Mexico, Dutch in Michigan, Finnish in Minnesota, etc).
How many White Americans are currently first or second-generation?

How many can speak their language of origin(s)?

How many still practice the culture(s) of their origin(s)?

White Americans have become so disconnected from their European origins that many identify as "White" alone.
 
Old 01-01-2017, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,960 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Lingustic diversity: Canada has French. USA has Spanish. Tie

.
Not even close to being a tie.

The linguistic diversity that comes with the English-French duality in Canada goes far beyond what you have in the U.S. with Spanish or any other language or languages.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
It's not brought up in Canada because Canada has half the racial diversity of the US.
As someone here once said. Canada does not measure diversity by race. It measures diversity by culture.

So Greeks, Britons, French, Spanish, Germans, may all be white. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, may all be Asian. Indians and Pakistanis and Bangladeshis may all be south Asian. Mexicans and Costa Ricans and Cubans may all be Hispanic. Jamaicans, Barbadians, and South Africans, may be black. American immigrants (and yes, Americans do choose to come to Canada--I was married to one) might be anything. Regardless, we welcome all, and welcome their Greek, British, Spanish, Indian, Bangladeshi, Mexican, Cuban, Jamaican, South African, and (yes) American cultures to our diversity. That's real multiculturalism, not the stuff based on race that the US is so hung up on.

In short, by the cultural measure, Canada is more diverse than the US. In Canada, "diversity" does not equal "race." In Canada, "diversity" equals "national culture."
 
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not even close to being a tie.

The linguistic diversity that comes with the English-French duality in Canada goes far beyond what you have in the U.S. with Spanish or any other language or languages.
True.

I'll add that Canada has legislated the two official languages: English and French. By law, each can be used at any place run by the federal government: customs office, Service Canada centres, national parks, and so on, no matter where in Canada one is. Want service from the gatekeepers in French in Banff National Park in Alberta? You can get it. Want service in English from Customs officers at Pierre Trudeau Airport in Montreal, Quebec? You can get it.

The US has legislated no official language. Maybe it should, since people speaking Spanish seems to be a sticking point in conversations in the P&OC forum. Make the ability to speak Spanish (and English) a federal law, as we have for French-speakers. Will complaints ensue? Yes. But just as we've encountered here in Canada, they will die down, as time goes by.

French was not, and is not being rammed down our throats, as was threatened by certain Chicken Littles. Neither will Spanish be rammed down Americans' throats, should such a law be passed.

Looking forward to seeing American cereal boxes, if it happens.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 09:20 AM
 
18,315 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Reputation: 13378
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
True.

I'll add that Canada has legislated the two official languages: English and French. By law, each can be used at any place run by the federal government: customs office, Service Canada centres, national parks, and so on, no matter where in Canada one is. Want service from the gatekeepers in French in Banff National Park in Alberta? You can get it. Want service in English from Customs officers at Pierre Trudeau Airport in Montreal, Quebec? You can get it.

The US has legislated no official language. Maybe it should, since people speaking Spanish seems to be a sticking point in conversations in the P&OC forum. Make the ability to speak Spanish (and English) a federal law, as we have for French-speakers. Will complaints ensue? Yes. But just as we've encountered here in Canada, they will die down, as time goes by.

French was not, and is not being rammed down our throats, as was threatened by certain Chicken Littles. Neither will Spanish be rammed down Americans' throats, should such a law be passed.

Looking forward to seeing American cereal boxes, if it happens.
Chevy; You cannot pick up a product off ANY shelf of ANY retailer down here in Florida or Southwestern States without the presence of two languages on the labelling. It's been that way for decades now. Not uncommon to hear grumbling from the natives here when the shelves are stocked with the "wrong" language facing outwards.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,960 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Chevy; You cannot pick up a product off ANY shelf of ANY retailer down here in Florida or Southwestern States without the presence of two languages on the labelling. It's been that way for decades now. Not uncommon to hear grumbling from the natives here when the shelves are stocked with the "wrong" language facing outwards.
Yes, that's quite true. And national chains like Walmart and McDonald's often have signage in English and Spanish. And you get a language choice "press 2 for Spanish" in a lot of places as well.

It's not necessarily comprehensive, but it's definitely noticeable.
 
Old 01-02-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You are comparing the worst of the worst in the US to the best in Canada. Woefully biased as always.
No, I'm competing what SHOULD be the best in the US, to what should be and is the best in Canada.

NYC airports and LAX are major entry points and the first introduction to the US that many people have.
LAX has a new terminal, underwhelming by most accounts, but at least it's trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top