U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2017, 07:20 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,761,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not even close to being a tie.

The linguistic diversity that comes with the English-French duality in Canada goes far beyond what you have in the U.S. with Spanish or any other language or languages.
That is not true. Outside of Quebec and a few other places, French is not heard very much. I am fluent in Spanish and there are many Hispanics throughout the US from coast to coast.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:27 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is not true. Outside of Quebec and a few other places, French is not heard very much. I am fluent in Spanish and there are many Hispanics throughout the US from coast to coast.
In this thread, I've explained with many examples why the two situations are not comparable nor on the same scale.

Which Anglophone country do you consider "most diverse"?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 4,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
You are comparing the worst of the worst in the US to the best in Canada. Woefully biased as always.
Manitopiaa, I live in Canada and find most of what you say to be irritatingly true. Canadians might be the most brainwashed group of people on the planet. I am originally from Asia and lived in the US as well so I should find Canada like a racial utopia? Oh, no, I find Canada way more racist than the U.S.. Compared to Americans Canadians have little self awareness in this regard. Here being not racist means being treating so called visible minorities like children with childish celebration days for everyone and revised history to remind us that non-whites can be Canadian too.....lol. Why do they need to keep reminding us then? Canada is nowhere near as diverse and I think anyone who has been to the U.S. can see that. What's more important is that in Canada only white people are really Canadian in practice and the visible minorities are like guests who have to be constantly reminded they are welcome. But in Canada the French and English mostly segregate themselves and in practice are foreign nations. The Canadian government talks a hell of a good game about how great Canada is but it isn't what is practiced by Canadian society. In practice Canada is a lagging provincial country.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:45 PM

7,319 posts, read 6,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh90 View Post

Manitopiaa, I live in Canada and find most of what you say to be irritatingly true. Canadians might be the most brainwashed group of people on the planet. I am originally from Asia and lived in the US as well so I should find Canada like a racial utopia? Oh, no, I find Canada way more racist than the U.S.. Compared to Americans Canadians have little self awareness in this regard. Here being not racist means being treating so called visible minorities like children with childish celebration days for everyone and revised history to remind us that non-whites can be Canadian too.....lol. Why do they need to keep reminding us then? Canada is nowhere near as diverse and I think anyone who has been to the U.S. can see that. What's more important is that in Canada only white people are really Canadian in practice and the visible minorities are like guests who have to be constantly reminded they are welcome. But in Canada the French and English mostly segregate themselves and in practice are foreign nations. The Canadian government talks a hell of a good game about how great Canada is but it isn't what is practiced by Canadian society. In practice Canada is a lagging provincial country.
mgh90, I think you are exaggerating and letting your imagination run away with you. You are an American from Cambodia with your own preconceived ideas about racism and you have lived in only one city in Canada for less than one year.

Racism was already an existing problem for you that you were all hung up and obsessed about before you even visited Canada or decided which city you should move to in Canada last year. I remember you posting and asking about racism in Canada and expressing how deeply disturbed you were about what you had allegedly heard from other people about Canada. And yet you still came to Canada to one city and after only one year in that one city now you think you are some kind of expert on racism in all of Canada and can speak for all of Canada! ????

Yeah, I don't think so and I'm calling BS on your whole story. I think if you are having a problem with racism or with your observations about what you think is racism where you are then I think the problem is you because you brought a pre-existing chip on the shoulder racist attitude with you when you arrived and now you're projecting it onto others.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:54 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,298,114 times
Quote:
As an Asian Canadian (naturalized) I don't agree. At least living in Toronto, I rarely felt I was just a "guest". I worked for the government for 8 years and never faced any discrimination from the system. If some individual discriminates me because I am not white, well, why do I care what some stupid people think anyway.

Yes, you might have a point in saying they sometime treat minorities like "children" yes it is sometimes overdone but I think it is for the good cause, because prejudices still exist and we should always remind immigrants (as well as "local canadians") that all legal residents are welcome and discrimination is not tolerated.

And I don't think Canada keeps reminding local born non-white people they are welcome... where did you get this idea? I have many non-white Canadian colleagues and they are an integral part of Canadian life. As an immigrant it is more difficult naturally but that's for cultural reasons.

I think you might be too senstive or live in a bad city/province. In downtown Toronto (not to mention Vancouver), being an Asian hardly makes you feel a minority whatsoever. We are so numerous that sometimes I felt it was in Asia.

On this forum I often criticize Toronto/Canada, but I never complained about racial discrimination because I felt I was truly welcomed in Canada. I am not saying the people are all particularly warm and friendly but the system works well and never left me feeling abandonned or discriminated. A couple days ago I was chatting with a young Chinese guy in France and after the conversation, he becomes very interested in immigrating to Canada as well.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:59 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,754,378 times
Quote:
Not to mention your airlines and airports. Outrageous fees at every corner and absurd travel costs. Never paying Air Canada another cent.
Not really a fair comparison, the U.S has more airports and airlines than any other country in the world.

They could easily just drive down and use one of our many airports and im sure they do.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,114,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
As someone here once said. Canada does not measure diversity by race. It measures diversity by culture.

So Greeks, Britons, French, Spanish, Germans, may all be white. Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, may all be Asian. Indians and Pakistanis and Bangladeshis may all be south Asian. Mexicans and Costa Ricans and Cubans may all be Hispanic. Jamaicans, Barbadians, and South Africans, may be black. American immigrants (and yes, Americans do choose to come to Canada--I was married to one) might be anything. Regardless, we welcome all, and welcome their Greek, British, Spanish, Indian, Bangladeshi, Mexican, Cuban, Jamaican, South African, and (yes) American cultures to our diversity. That's real multiculturalism, not the stuff based on race that the US is so hung up on.

In short, by the cultural measure, Canada is more diverse than the US. In Canada, "diversity" does not equal "race." In Canada, "diversity" equals "national culture."
The USA has all of these groups as well. In nearly all cases, the U.S. has way more of each of these groups! New York has more languages present than all of Canada, since you conveniently left this out in your showboating about Canadian multiculturalism.

California has more racial and national diversity than Canada. And that's just 1 of 50 states!

The U.S. is racially diverse and multicultural.

Canada is just one of the two.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,114,404 times
Quote:
Thanks for the truth. I'm under no illusions that Canada is as bad as Alabama or Mississippi. But so many of the Canadian nationalists in this thread act like ostriches and scream "lalala, Canada's perfect in every way" and get incredibly defensive about everything. Even to the point of pretending racism isn't a problem in Canada! Who are they kidding when they try to pretend their country is a racial utopia?

I'm the first to say that parts of the U.S. have deep racial tensions (especially the South). Some Canadians on this thread should cut out the cutesy "we're so perfect" shtick that rubs everyone the wrong way.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:19 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,754,378 times
Quote:
The USA has all of these groups as well. In nearly all cases, the U.S. has way more of each of these groups! New York has more languages present than all of Canada, since you conveniently left this out in your showboating about Canadian multiculturalism.

California has more racial and national diversity than Canada. And that's just 1 of 50 states!

The U.S. is racially diverse and multicultural.

Canada is just one of the two.
This is why we need to find a different country to compare Canada to. the USA is on a whole different level.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:20 PM

293 posts, read 162,768 times
Quote:
Thanks for the truth. I'm under no illusions that Canada is as bad as Alabama or Mississippi. But so many of the Canadian nationalists in this thread act like ostriches and scream "lalala, Canada's perfect in every way" and get incredibly defensive about everything. Even to the point of pretending racism isn't a problem in Canada! Who are they kidding when they try to pretend their country is a racial utopia?

I'm the first to say that parts of the U.S. have deep racial tensions (especially the South). Some Canadians on this thread should cut out the cutesy "we're so perfect" shtick that rubs everyone the wrong way.
They are not nationalists - there is not such thing as a Canadian nationalist, unfortunately. Perhaps, there were in the past. But now Canada has no national identity, fully embracing the so called "multiculturalism" and becoming a sort of tribal country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or