Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 05:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A little premature don't you think?

So far the only ones claiming they'd leave are those among the wealthy...hardly losers if using the traditional GOP yardstick. Smarter perhaps.
Actually I saw this recently in the Toronto Star regarding applications to U of T going up 70 percent since Trumps election. McGill and other CAD universities are also seeing an uptick.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rumps-win.html

That said, calling people losers simply because they hold different political viewpoints is totally immature. It seems to be the way of things these days though and they have the perfect leader to spew calling other people losers - pretty sad!

Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually I saw this recently in the Toronto Star regarding applications to U of T going up 70 percent since Trumps election. McGill and other CAD universities are also seeing an uptick.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...rumps-win.html

That said, calling people losers simply because they hold different political viewpoints is totally immature. It seems to be the way of things these days though and they have the perfect leader to spew calling other people losers - pretty sad!
When I was a high school senior during my Christmas break, I spent 10 days in Canada and fell in love with what I saw. By that point, I had already applied to the schools in PA I wanted to go to and was accepted, but did ponder applying to a few Canadian schools after my trip there. I ended up not doing that of course, but do regret it a little. It could have been a great learning experience.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
When I was a high school senior during my Christmas break, I spent 10 days in Canada and fell in love with what I saw. By that point, I had already applied to the schools in PA I wanted to go to and was accepted, but did ponder applying to a few Canadian schools after my trip there. I ended up not doing that of course, but do regret it a little. It could have been a great learning experience.
Well I find things usually happen for a reason so the fact you actually acquired a Post-Secondary education is an accomplishment

Old 01-13-2017, 10:06 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I applied to a few Canadian universities my senior year of high school. I was in Canada the summer before my senior year and even attended am open house. That was in Toronto: York University. Ultimately, I stayed stateside. It was the right decision. Going to Canada would have been too complicated. Plus, getting a student visa is not comparable to a permanent residence and doesn't really assist in obtaining one either.

I do regret not doing study abroad, though.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:39 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
A little premature don't you think?

So far the only ones claiming they'd leave are those among the wealthy...hardly losers if using the traditional GOP yardstick. Smarter perhaps.

The fact is practically nobody of these wealthy libs actually move to Canada, they know very well how good they have it here, yes they are smarter indeed...

By the way, even in American lingo (including GOPers parlance) the term "loser" is not necessarily associated with financial wealth or lack of thereof....granted I'm not passing judgment of people, just clarifying that the term can be applied to people of wealth as well.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-13-2017 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...By the way, even in American lingo (including GOPers parlance) the term "loser" is not necessarily associated with financial wealth or lack of thereof....granted I'm not passing judgment of people just clarifying that the term can be applied to people of wealth as well.
You are absolutely correct.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:51 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You are absolutely correct.
Current events sure bear that out.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:38 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
A fascinating read from Vice on how the USA could take over Canada: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/w...ampaign=global

Canada would still be an economic albatross around the neck of the U.S. (particularly with the housing bubble, oil woes and personal debt), so the U.S. has little incentive. But it's an interesting article nonetheless. If the U.S. decides to take over the Caribbean, however, I'll be 100% on board!

Old 01-14-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
A fascinating read from Vice on how the USA could take over Canada: https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/w...ampaign=global

Canada would still be an economic albatross around the neck of the U.S. (particularly with the housing bubble, oil woes and personal debt), so the U.S. has little incentive. But it's an interesting article nonetheless. If the U.S. decides to take over the Caribbean, however, I'll be 100% on board!
You find this a fascinating read? Its quite pathetic actually and can hardly be taken seriously (other than reiterating what we all know the U.S has a bigger military - wow shocking!)

I read this and the main paragraph that made me laugh about how pathetic it is was this this however

Quote:
Toronto likely would be left alone and, because it's Toronto, the citizens probably wouldn't notice anything was out of the regular until they received their American drivers license. They would also probably be awfully upset they were left out.
Additionally, there was nothing in this nonsense about Canada being an economic 'albatross' as you put it. That is your own commentary so don't link your opinion with the authors already rather pathetic article.

No Canadian is under the illusion that the U.S could not overwhelm Canada militarily. What the article doesn't touch upon is the global impact such a move would have. We've already discussed this before. Canada is a respected and prominent democracy, any invasion of it by the U.S would create ripples with other democracies and other nations across the world period. It would create global instability. Hmmm who is next type of thing. It would simply be a disaster for all involved including the U.S

If anything, the albatross for the U.S would be the global instability such an invasion would bring, along with a populace largely not wanting to adhere to its new master - especially an aggressive one! The article states that the U.S would not want to alienate the populace by nuking our cities lol - but invading us isn't alienating. Also, if nukes were used, even against military installations the rest of the nuclear armed world would just sit back with a brew and say - ah well its just Canada... Suuuuure lol... Another reason of many that the article is pretty pathetic and short sighted. This article was designed to get a twisted 16 year old off who pleasures himself by watching military capability videos/guns/explosions etc.

As for the U.S taking over the Caribbean militarily and you being all in - I think that speaks more to your mentality here than anything.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-14-2017 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 06:18 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,148 times
How many wars does America win nowadays? Lol.

Having a big military doesn't mean you can steamroll anyone. Canadians are actually smart. They'd probably be able to defend themselves from insufficient America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada