U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 11:40 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
His inauguration will be upstaged by the Women's (+LGBTQIA, Racial Justice Groups, Enviromental Protection, Labor) March in Washington on the 21st, which I will be attending.

The good thing is that Trump has a horrible 37% approval rating, so he starts off as popular as Bush in 2006 (when the Republicans lost the Congress). He could very well be the American Francois Hollande, who ushers in the Progressive Revolution. Were Steve Bullock or Roy Cooper to run in 2020, I can see the GOP collapsing. Unfortunately, they might have the Supreme Court by then.
When Trump is thought to be against LGBT community is a myth to me, can you explain it? I just don't remember in any circumstances he expressed any anti-gay ideas.

Environment? I am not sure either. Is Obama protecting the environment? The guardian just disclosed that the Obama administration spent $34 billion on dirty fuel elsewhere. He certainly branded himself as someone who cares about the environment, and most Americans seem to buy it. What will Trump do, we have to wait before coming to conclusions.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-change-legacy

Trump may campaigned as a republican, but we all know he has little in common with the GOP. He is hardly interested in topics that the GOP always are obsessed with, such as abortion, guns, Jesus etc., and he is anti-free market, pro-protectionism.

Trump is as a republican as Hilary Clinton is a liberal.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
When Trump is thought to be against LGBT community is a myth to me, can you explain it? I just don't remember in any circumstances he expressed any anti-gay ideas. .
The biggest problem is who are going to be his Supreme Court appointments and what impact will those have on social progress. Its not so much even about redacting prior rulings as much as the opportunity costs of having more conservative members moving forward. I have several Gay friends in the U.S and this is their biggest concern. It isn't so much that Trump goes on an anti gay verbal salvo on twitter.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM

Moderator cut: quoted post has been deleted despises Canada for its low GDP per capita for some reason, or it is because people here praise Canada too much.

Honestly I don't think Canada is such a peace loving country either. Under Harper it was quite bad. And when I read many Canadian newspapers, they tend to be very judgmental as well about foreign countries, so are a lot of Canadians. If Canada were as powerful as the US, I can't say it would be so peace loving.

A real peace loving country will not get involved in any of the wars in the Middle East or anywhere else (except for humanitarian support but taking no sides), because we all know, or should know our involvement is all about self interest and has nothing, absolutely nothing to do right or wrong, no matter how much we want to convince ourselves and the world that it is, and that it will always end up WORSE.

Last edited by toosie; 01-15-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 11:51 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,392,857 times
Liberal Canadians will do the same as Liberal Americans. We will just sit back and watch in simple amazement as the Trumpets turn the very concept of government into a total CF due to internal inconsistence and incompetence.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:56 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Moderator cut: .despises Canada for its low GDP per capita for some reason, or it is because people here praise Canada too much.

Honestly I don't think Canada is such a peace loving country either. Under Harper it was quite bad. And when I read many Canadian newspapers, they tend to be very judgmental as well about foreign countries, so are a lot of Canadians. If Canada were as powerful as the US, I can't say it would be so peace loving.

A real peace loving country will not get involved in any of the wars in the Middle East or anywhere else (except for humanitarian support but taking no sides), because we all know, or should know our involvement is all about self interest and has nothing, absolutely nothing to do right or wrong, no matter how much we want to convince ourselves and the world that it is, and that it will always end up WORSE.
Ummm did you read his comments about invading the Caribbean. Small detail you overlooked? Its indefensible and disturbing. Period!

As for people defending or praising Canada too much I think its more a reaction to a constant stream in our forums of dimwits launching unnecessary salvos against it. People naturally defend.

I'm not going to say Canada has moral superiority either. If it did it wouldn't be selling 15 billion dollars worth of light armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia. That said there is a scale and on that scale for a country of Canada's stature, its not morally inferior but no - we aren't run by a steady stream of Gandhi's either.

As for our expeditions to the Middle East - we went along with the U.S on those. You have to tow the line to a certain degree as you know.... If the U.S didn't take the lead on these wars do you really think Canada would have even if it could have - I don't really think so. The U.S has a greater responsibility in this regard than we do. That is why the unpredictability of Trumps F.P is alarming.. The world order isn't perfect by any stretch but if you think it couldn't get a whole lot worse think again.

That said, I think your GDP post was great.

Last edited by toosie; 01-15-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-15-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The biggest problem is who are going to be his Supreme Court appointments and what impact will those have on social progress. Its not so much even about redacting prior rulings as much as the opportunity costs of having more conservative members moving forward. I have several Gay friends in the U.S and this is their biggest concern. It isn't so much that Trump goes on an anti gay verbal salvo on twitter.
You know I am 100% supporting gay rights, but what you said is not a justifiable reason.

"Conservative members", whatever that means, have their right to exist in the US (because otherwise they wouldn't be supreme court judges). The job of those judges is to interpret the US federal constitution, not to be "conservative" or "liberal". SO it is not the job or responsibility for those judges to protect or promote gay right movements, irrespective of how they feel. That's how the system works as far as I know. Hypothetically a liberal minded judge should still vote against LGBT rights if it is his understanding of the US constitution (and vice versa), because his personal preference should not matter. And it is wrong to think "it will be great all those judges are "liberals", as that basically means anyone who doesn't agree with me should not be a judge.

It is any US president's right to appoint judges of the supreme court, so Trump can appoint whoever he feels appropriate, just like Obama. And it is wrong for the LGBT community to pressure singers such as Jennifer Holliday not to perform during the inauguration against her will, just because they didn't like the president elect, and THINK he might appoint a judge that MIGHT work against their rights.

Being intolerant of opinions that one thinks is not tolerant is still intolerance. And I think that's the mistake the democrats, Hollywood and the newspapers are all doing.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ummm did you read his comments about invading the Caribbean. Small detail you overlooked? Its indefensible and disturbing. Period!

As for people defending or praising Canada too much I think its more a reaction to a constant stream in our forums of dimwits launching unnecessary salvos against it. People naturally defend.

I'm not going to say Canada has moral superiority either. If it did it wouldn't be selling 15 billion dollars worth of light armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia. That said there is a scale and on that scale for a country of Canada's stature, its not morally inferior but no - we aren't run by a steady stream of Gandhi's either.

As for our expeditions to the Middle East - we went along with the U.S on those. You have to tow the line to a certain degree as you know.... If the U.S didn't take the lead on these wars do you really think Canada would have even if it could have - I don't really think so. The U.S has a greater responsibility in this regard than we do. That is why the unpredictability of Trumps F.P is alarming.. The world order isn't perfect by any stretch but if you think it couldn't get a whole lot worse think again.

That said, I think your GDP post was great.
OK, I didn't see the Caribbean posts. I might have missed something offensive.

RE middle east, no, you can't say "oh, the US is the leader, we just played along so don't blame me". That's a lack of moral. Being an ally doesn't mean you listen to the leader in any situation. A respected country should stand by its own principle. If Canada thinks it is wrong, refuse to play along, or better, criticize the US openly and loudly. We don't seem to have any hesitation when it comes to Russia.

The sad thing is Canada chooses side, and refuses to be objective when it comes to such matters. We supported the US when we shouldn't have, and at least have the courage to admit it, and stop doing so. Of course there is national interest involved, but you always have to choose interest and principle, just like we are in life.

And also, if we keep selling weapons to the Saudi King, at least have the decency to stop criticizing human right abuses in Iraq, Syria or wherever, because we don't get to do that.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:36 PM

5,957 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Doesn't every Western democracy support the Saudis in some way?

Old 01-15-2017, 05:17 PM

25,336 posts, read 41,448,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Do you think Canada/Canadians would like such a plan?

I don't know.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or