Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 12:41 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Only if you combine private with public debt which in Canada is still reasonably low....private debt is very high.
well we know why private debt is high and that is largely because of the cost of R.E.. Is it a wise bet - we'll see...

Old 12-20-2016, 12:45 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The message has been brought to you by.......
I rarely approve of anything that person says and I know it was his intention, as always, to make Canada look bad. BUT...... this time I agree with him and think he's done Canada a favour. He's actually made a good case FOR Canada's behalf and provided back up reasons for Canada's refusals to what the OP was proposing. He's provided more glaring reasons for why Canada would be wise to not accept proposals from any of the states to become members of Canada, and other reasons for why those states should not consider requesting to become members of Canada if they were to secede from USA. I agree with him that if those states want to secede they're better off to strike out on their own. They could form their own new, independent sovereign nation, and should not need to request to become members of any other already established country.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I rarely approve of anything that person says and I know it was his intention, as always, to make Canada look bad. BUT...... this time I agree with him and think he's done Canada a favour. He's actually made a good case FOR Canada's behalf and provided back up reasons for Canada's refusals to what the OP was proposing. He's provided more glaring reasons for why Canada would be wise to not accept proposals from any of the states to become members of Canada, and other reasons for why those states should not consider requesting to become members of Canada if they were to secede from USA. I agree with him that if those states want to secede they're better off to strike out on their own. They could form their own new, independent sovereign nation, and should not need to request to become members of any other already established country.

Well I think we all know that this is just probably not going to happen us merging with any U.S States.. This talk always occurs when there is an election down there and we inevitably get sucked into it. This time is a bit different as they've really gone ahead and elected - wtf?

All said, Canada is fine developing on its own without the need of a merger with any foreign state.. As it grows in prominence I actually think a lot of the 'brands' he's spewing off will simple become a by-product of a nation that is growing in prominence. It is my hope that as we do, we will also maintain our values and sensibilities which I think are rooted strongly. I'd take them over a laundry list of tech innovation companies any day though it wouldn't hurt to have a healthy dose of both. Of course, our friend will always dismiss Canadian accomplishments simply because they are smaller, which is to be expected given our size.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:05 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

Well I think we all know that it is just not going to happen .....

All said, Canada is fine developing on its own ......
That is the whole crux of the matter. It ain't never gonna happen anyway, no matter how many times somebody proposes it for whatever cockamamie reasons they have, and Canada is best off doing its own thing on its own.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
That is the whole crux of the matter. It ain't never gonna happen anyway, no matter how many times somebody proposes it for whatever cockamamie reasons they have, and Canada is best off doing its own thing on its own.

Oh I totally agree... We've done well on our own and I think we're building something really quite extraordinary.. Maybe not entirely for things that require a 'TM' but some of the more long lasting and important things that a long lasting and stable nation requires. We have our issues but we always seem to work them out due to said values/sensibilities. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves what makes us pretty great actually and sometimes that is to see what goes on elsewhere and to say, no that is not the way we are and no, that is not the way we want to be. Sometimes its not always crystal clear but it should be.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:06 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Given recent US performance in science, math and reading skills, Canada would do well to avoid taking responsibility for millions of US people ... unless there is another shortage of people in the trades and stronger guest worker laws.

PISA: Singapore teens top global education ranking - CNN.com
Attached Thumbnails
Canada joining with US liberal states-canada-scores.jpg  

Old 12-20-2016, 09:25 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Given recent US performance in science, math and reading skills, Canada would do well to avoid taking responsibility for millions of US people ... unless there is another shortage of people in the trades and stronger guest worker laws.

Which fits in perfectly with my post about spelling. Why make a map to pitch an idea to try and convince Canada that joining them is a good idea, when they can't even check the spelling of Saskatchewan?

Old 12-20-2016, 09:29 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
well we know why private debt is high and that is largely because of the cost of R.E.. Is it a wise bet - we'll see...
It is real estate, since mortgage debt is calculated into personal debt. Look at the countries with the highest personal debt. It's places like Norway and Switzerland...places with higher standard of living than the US.

Can anyone explain this beyond real estate?

Oh, and WELCOME BACK!

Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It is real estate, since mortgage debt is calculated into personal debt. Look at the countries with the highest personal debt. It's places like Norway and Switzerland...places with higher standard of living than the US.

Can anyone explain this beyond real estate?

Oh, and WELCOME BACK!

Not all high standard of living countries have a high household debt....for example Germany, Austria or Italy among OECD countries

https://data.oecd.org/hha/household-debt.htm

Not everything is good under the Norwegian midnight sun

Dispelling The Norwegian Housing Myth | Zero Hedge

Sweden sky high household debt of the early 1990s was resolved with....a housing crash that was second only to the subprime crisis of the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_banking_rescue

......and I do not think I need to mention what happened in Japan.....

R.E. debt often hides personal consumption debt (refinancing)

.....in the meantime B.C. turns the crank on another round of insanity

B.C. is desperate to keep its housing bubble aloft. It won

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-20-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

Canada would be getting the blue states and when those states compete as a separate nation, they typically score at or above Canada.

One example from this most recent PISA test.

12/20/16 BESE Meeting: PISA Results for Massachusetts - Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education

For the record I think this is downright stupid. It would be of no benefit to either side. As much as those liberal states like the ***** and moan about trump, they are successful because they fully exploit the American economic system. Trumps policies that favour the wealthy will benefit where the wealth is concentrated and that would be many of those blue states. The red states that receive more than they put out will be in for a huge surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada