Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 05:34 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,899,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Canada would be getting the blue states and when those states compete as a separate nation, they typically score at or above Canada.

One example from this most recent PISA test.

12/20/16 BESE Meeting: PISA Results for Massachusetts - Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education

For the record I think this is downright stupid. It would be of no benefit to either side. As much as those liberal states like the ***** and moan about trump, they are successful because they fully exploit the American economic system. Trumps policies that favour the wealthy will benefit where the wealth is concentrated and that would be many of those blue states. The red states that receive more than they put out will be in for a huge surprise.
It seems like a bit of monkey business with the numbers. How Massachusetts compares to top states and provinces in other parts of the world is a completely different question than how do national education systems compare to each other. Claiming that one state outperforms the top country in the world is meaningless, but I'm sure that people in Massachusetts know that ... since they understand math, reading, and science so well. One has to wonder why anyone from Massachusetts would seek to mislead.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Finally some sanity......definitely yes, even San Francisco would be considered way too corporate friendly to your typical Vancouver progressive.

...and before someone saying that wealthy areas, in general, voted for Trump......average income of Trump voters is higher than Hillary voters.

Furthermore, it is hilarious to consider Canada as a left leaning country "en bloc"......I ask the OP if he/she ever visited Alberta.

And all these PISA whatever ranking have to be squared with the content of this post...
Suggesting that Bombardier is insignificant is to suggest that no one in the world values snowmobiles.

Everyone has access to the internet, and everyone can do a simple search of "important stuff made in Canada" to learn that Canada has made huge contributions to many fields.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Does anyone have state by state data? The liberal states are usually high ranking in education scores and attainment.
Comparing states to states and provinces would be an entirely different study.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:58 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It is real estate, since mortgage debt is calculated into personal debt. Look at the countries with the highest personal debt. It's places like Norway and Switzerland...places with higher standard of living than the US.

Can anyone explain this beyond real estate?

Oh, and WELCOME BACK!
Well mortgage debt isn't bad debt if you can carry it.. It would be interesting to see what private debt levels of Canadians are when mortgage debt is not part of the equation. In any event, I readily admit I can't afford a million dollar house. A townhouse or condo yeah but I like the flexibility of being able to just leave my place and that's it. Besides we own a house, in Venezuela.

Thanks for the welcome back Nat... Are you getting into snowball fights and making angels

Old 12-20-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Canada would be getting the blue states and when those states compete as a separate nation, they typically score at or above Canada.

One example from this most recent PISA test.

12/20/16 BESE Meeting: PISA Results for Massachusetts - Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education

For the record I think this is downright stupid. It would be of no benefit to either side. As much as those liberal states like the ***** and moan about trump, they are successful because they fully exploit the American economic system. Trumps policies that favour the wealthy will benefit where the wealth is concentrated and that would be many of those blue states. The red states that receive more than they put out will be in for a huge surprise.
Yeah but you can't just cherry pick 'blue' states against Canada either because there are underperforming Provinces in Canada that would bring top performers down. In any event, I think you are right that the core supporters of Trump are in for a rude awakening when they realize that his policies are not exactly as friendly towards them as the Democrats. The night of hard drinking and celebration will come to an end and we all knows what happens the morning after.. In this case January 21, 2017.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:05 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,243,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Whoa! Who mentioned virtue? Where are you going with that one?

The point of the link was not the mention of Greece. Seizing on that aspect alone seems fatuous.

I'm sure to whomever is borrowing to buy a car, washer dryer combo or pay tuition, reserve currency status is the very foremost thing on their minds......yeppers..........big, big, yuuuuge difference.

...it makes a lot of difference in a financial crisis....and there is a lot of evidence around...

Old 12-20-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well mortgage debt isn't bad debt if you can carry it..

...if you indeed.....and we had quite few cases in the western world of financial crisis triggered by excessive RE borrowing...

Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Suggesting that Bombardier is insignificant is to suggest that no one in the world values snowmobiles.
If you read the original message, not written by me, nobody said it is "insignificant"...but they are in trouble....

Old 12-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
...if you indeed.....and we had quite few cases in the western world of financial crisis triggered by excessive RE borrowing...
Yes and after a crisis you recover. Its painful but you move on and become stronger. Many times you can learn from it. I have no long term major concerns about the prosperity of Canada/Canadians. There are always ups and downs, which country doesn't have those.. We're a pretty resourceful and adaptive bunch.

As for Bombardier, I think the C Series will ultimately do well for them in terms of the Aviation component. It defied quite a bit of extraordinary odds including major undercutting to Customers by Airbus and Boeing in an attempt to put the nail in the coffin of the program. By the looks of it, that failed and the Aviation industry is all the better to have diverse range of offerings for Airlines to choose from, including probably the best narrow bodied aircraft on the market made by Bombardier.

Its amazing though that when people think of Canadian corporations Bombardier or Blackberry are often the most cited. These are far from being the most valuable/profitable companies in Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 12-20-2016 at 06:37 PM..

Old 12-20-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
If you read the original message, not written by me, nobody said it is "insignificant"...but they are in trouble....
Bombardier is always in trouble and is always bailed out. However, like blackberry, there are significant contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada