Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2016, 12:31 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

King Trump
Attached Thumbnails
Canada joining with US liberal states-king-trump.jpg  

Old 12-25-2016, 02:07 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
"Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman Reince Priebus and Co-Chair Sharon Day released the following statement celebrating Christmas:

“Merry Christmas to all! Over two millennia ago, a new hope was born into the world, a Savior who would offer the promise of salvation to all mankind. Just as the three wise men did on that night, this Christmas heralds a time to celebrate the good news of a new King. We hope Americans celebrating Christmas today will enjoy a day of festivities and a renewed closeness with family and friends."

https://gop.com/rnc-message-celebrating-christmas-2016/
The RNC believe that Trump should be celebrated on Christmas Day as the new king of Christianity replacing Jesus? Next they'll want the day changed to "Trump Day".

I'm speechless.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The RNC believe that Trump should be celebrated on Christmas Day as the new king of Christianity replacing Jesus? Next they'll want the day changed to "Trump Day".

I'm speechless.
Does he have the power to put his face on the dollar?

Old 12-25-2016, 04:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
That's the best you got? Seriously? Let me demolish you.

I got my 4-year BA, then studied 3 years at a Canadian law school, got my law degree, then was admitted to the bar (after killer bar courses and exams). Then I practiced at least ten years in Canadian constitutional law. Along the way, I advised various provinces as to their constitutional challenges before the Supreme Court of Canada. I commented on their oral and written submissions, and I had them take me seriously. It was fun to watch my ideas take shape in their submissions, and to to watch how the Supreme Court paid heed, and put those submissions into law. In pretty much all federal cases, the Queen's role came into play, which is how I know it as well as I do.

Those are my qualifications for commenting on the monarchy in its role when I comment on Canada's constitution. I know Canadian constitutional law like few others here. I doubt that you know it better than me.

And why do figures on currency matter so much to you? Aren't all people pictured on US currency unable to cheer for the US Olympic Team too? Was Benjamin Franklin alive in 1896? George Washington? Abraham Lincoln? No, they were all dead by then.

Manitopiaa, if you ever again call me wrong when it comes to Canadian politics, cast my Canadian political comments into disrepute, or indicate that you have no idea how the Canadian political sytem works, then I will disregard your comments as coming from an ignorant American, and urge my fellow Canadians here to ignore them.

Have a nice day.

This.

This was my best Christmas present.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:05 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
That's the best you got? Seriously? Let me demolish you.

I got my 4-year BA, then studied 3 years at a Canadian law school, got my law degree, then was admitted to the bar (after killer bar courses and exams). Then I practiced at least ten years in Canadian constitutional law. Along the way, I advised various provinces as to their constitutional challenges before the Supreme Court of Canada. I commented on their oral and written submissions, and I had them take me seriously. It was fun to watch my ideas take shape in their submissions, and to to watch how the Supreme Court paid heed, and put those submissions into law. In pretty much all federal cases, the Queen's role came into play, which is how I know it as well as I do.

Those are my qualifications for commenting on the monarchy in its role when I comment on Canada's constitution. I know Canadian constitutional law like few others here. I doubt that you know it better than me.

And why do figures on currency matter so much to you? Aren't all people pictured on US currency unable to cheer for the US Olympic Team too? Was Benjamin Franklin alive in 1896? George Washington? Abraham Lincoln? No, they were all dead by then.

Manitopiaa, if you ever again call me wrong when it comes to Canadian politics, cast my Canadian political comments into disrepute, or indicate that you have no idea how the Canadian political sytem works, then I will disregard your comments as coming from an ignorant American, and urge my fellow Canadians here to ignore them.

Have a nice day.
Demolish me? Is this like World of Warcraft to you? Am I a Level 9 ogre who requires your combat? A debate should aim for the exchange of ideas, not "demolishing." How very juvenile of you. Even worse, you claim to be a lawyer yet seem to have a hatred of open debate. Very sad.

And for a "lawyer," you sure have a ton of time for City-Data. But I'll trust you. We all know people are perfectly honest on the Internet.

As to your point, it seems odd to idolize people on your currency who have little experience or attachment to Canada. If the U.S. decided to nominate Mother Teresa for the currency, I would be opposed, for the simple reason she has done little to advance the American people. Queen Elizabeth is in the mold of Mother Teresa. She has done very little for Canada yet many Canadians still bow down to her like good little subjects. To an American, that comes across as incredibly feckless and weak-spined. Do Canadians derive their self-worth from claiming that some far-away royal represents them? Do Canadians need a foreign Head of State to feel part of something bigger? Do Canadians have no qualms with the strong moral and ethical perversions that come from backing a monarchy that disavows Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, the LGBT and others? Do Canadians have no problems claiming to be a progressive state while having their chief symbol be an institution based on aristocratic hereditary elitism and theocracy?

I'm not here to argue Constitutional Law. I could care less what the "Law" says. I'm making a prescriptive argument. That the law should be changed is precisely my point. And bringing up your "legal" background is little more than a tautological distraction ("The Queen should be the Queen because the Law says so!").

I could care less if you disregard my commentary. I do not comment for your pleasure or validation.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:21 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
King Trump

I think you ignore the fact that a Canadian Prime Minister is actually quite more powerful in Canada than an American president in its nation....and your senate is appointed not elected.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:34 PM

By the way, on a side note, I love all this prognostication, especially from people that do not live in the US, about how terrible the next 4 years are going to be with Trump....did you not learn a thing or two recently about the danger of trying to predict the future?? Just saying....

Old 12-25-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Demolish me? Is this like World of Warcraft to you? Am I a Level 9 ogre who requires your combat? A debate should aim for the exchange of ideas, not "demolishing." How very juvenile of you. Even worse, you claim to be a lawyer yet seem to have a hatred of open debate. Very sad.

And for a "lawyer," you sure have a ton of time for City-Data. But I'll trust you. We all know people are perfectly honest on the Internet.

As to your point, it seems odd to idolize people on your currency who have little experience or attachment to Canada. If the U.S. decided to nominate Mother Teresa for the currency, I would be opposed, for the simple reason she has done little to advance the American people. Queen Elizabeth is in the mold of Mother Teresa. She has done very little for Canada yet many Canadians still bow down to her like good little subjects. To an American, that comes across as incredibly feckless and weak-spined. Do Canadians derive their self-worth from claiming that some far-away royal represents them? Do Canadians need a foreign Head of State to feel part of something bigger? Do Canadians have no qualms with the strong moral and ethical perversions that come from backing a monarchy that disavows Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, the LGBT and others? Do Canadians have no problems claiming to be a progressive state while having their chief symbol be an institution based on aristocratic hereditary elitism and theocracy?

I'm not here to argue Constitutional Law. I could care less what the "Law" says. I'm making a prescriptive argument. That the law should be changed is precisely my point. And bringing up your "legal" background is little more than a tautological distraction ("The Queen should be the Queen because the Law says so!").

I could care less if you disregard my commentary. I do not comment for your pleasure or validation.
Canada has her Queen, and the USA has his King.
Now we're equal!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
But voting for DJT is not very very very Regressive lol... I'd take QEII as our largely figurehead/remote yet stable HOS for another 64 years than wish the Il Duce on us for 4 years..

And as a sister, how are you going to feel about what happens to the LGBTQ community after Il Duce starts lining the U.S Supreme Court with nominees that Mike Pence whispers in his ear? What next Manitopiaaa, are you going to start promulgating us with how progressive Jeff Sessions will be as Attorney General and how much of a human rights champion he is? That the new Cabinet of the US government is going to be a leader in climate change lol..

The Queen turned 90 and here’s all the LGBT laws she signed · PinkNews

vs

Mike Pence: What He's Said on LGBT Issues Over the Years
aaaand this
Two peas in a racist pod: Jeff Sessions’ alarming history of opposing civil rights - Salon.com

Maybe you should stop the U.S rules in all things kool aid drinking exercise.. If you haven't figured it out yet, you should do so quickly because you have an impossible task ahead of you if you think that is possible. You have a rocky 4 years ahead of you that may put forth wheels in motion for decades of social regression in your country, and you're lecturing us on QEII as our HOS? What next, a discussion on the opportunity costs in Canada of having tundra and arctic as opposed to more arable land or maybe a stirring debate on the plight of seals in Canada? I'd say that is someone firmly in denial latching onto minutia to avoid dealing with a new harsh reality in her own backyard.
Actually, the point of this thread is to ask whether the liberal states should join with Canada. I pointed out that Canada is much, much, much poorer than the Blue States ($65k GDP PC vs. $43k in Canada) so the value derived from a merger would be deleterious to Blue States. That is the crux of my argument and all Canadians here seem to be blindly oblivious to that argument because nobody's responded to it.

It's much easier for the Canadians here to scream "DONALD TRUMP!!" as if that automatically renders every American argument moot.

The U.S. is actually the only Western nation where the Left has won the popular vote in 6 of the past 7 elections. That is a fact. That Trump won in 2016 due to our Electoral College does not dismiss the fact that the American people have not given the GOP a mandate since 2004. 1992, 1996, 2000, 2008, 2012 and 2016 were all Dem wins. Considering Trump has a 41% approval rating and 37% favorability rating during his honeymoon, he'll likely lose the PV in 2020 as well (whether he wins the Rust Belt will determine whether he stays in power).

So you trying to cast America as some far-right hellhole is odd. But this is nothing new for many Canadians, who seem to have orgasms when anything bad befalls the U.S.

Here you go. Please tell me how this is a fascist dictatorship in the making:

60% of Americans do not approve of Trump's cabinet, a historical record:

58% think unfavorably of him, meaning he starts on thin ice in terms of a political mandate:

His base will be dead in 25 years and the young are 73% opposed to him:

A majority, by a 23-point margin, disapprove of how he's handling ties to the alt-right white nationalists:

60% say protecting the environment is worth the cost:

63% say immigrants strengthen the country:

Even young Republicans are on board:

53% say poverty is outside one's control:

54% want a left-wing healthcare system:

61% support same-sex marriage:

60% support marijuana legalization:

79% support abortion:

And Mike Pence is the first VP to start his honeymoon with net negative favorability ratings:

I know you hate the U.S.A. Fusion, but please point out where you see creeping fascism in public support. Trump won because he won the Labor left running on a platform of ending NAFTA, protectionism and tariffs. He won by letting up on social issues and running on a populist left platform. His stances today are those of Upper Midwest Conservadems (Apathetic on social issues, protectionist on economic issues). If he starts to govern like a right-winger, he'll lose his support to the Left, who in 2020 will have purged the last vestiges of the Clintonite Third Way Centrism.

The trends in the U.S.A. are obvious. That Trump won in 2016 against a hated establishment Dem after 8 years of a Dem presidency with no personality does not make those trends any less valid.

But please, you and your little cabal in this thread can continue to circle-jerk about how horrible the U.S.A. is. Americans do not derive our self-worth from claiming we are better than Canadians. We derive our self-worth on the incredible innovation we've helped build (including the computer you're using to condescendingly malign the U.S.) If Canadians derive their "identity" from hating the U.S., that says more about Canadians than it says about the U.S.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post

I'm speechless.
I think that is a gross misreading of that message...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada