Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2016, 10:48 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,557,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I acknowledged that Canada was ahead of the U.S. on gay rights about 10 posts back. What are you arguing about exactly?

Social issues are, by Constitutional formulation, a "States Rights" issue. That's why social policy takes place at the State level where you get everything from anti-gay laws in North Carolina to pro-gay laws in California. The only reason gay marriage was even made legal nationwide is because banning it was ruled unconstitutional as it infringed on rights protected by the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

This section of the Constitution struck down gay marriage bans:
I always thought that "persuit of happiness" clause right up there w/llife and liberty covered being allowed to marry whom you want, BE who you want--as long as you aren't hurting anyone else
Classic example--pedophiles are NOT free to persue that inclination because doing so damages others and infringes on THEIR rights...

Old 12-27-2016, 01:02 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Manitopiaaa isn't your typical liberal in the U.S.. Most of them are far more concerned about what is going on down there and have great concerns about the next four years. They are also much more Canada friendly than he is. They wouldn't be talking with gusto about the U.S invading Canada at all! Either Manitopiaaa is a very odd 'liberal' outlier or more than likely this discussion is purely for entertainment purposes through his lens because something about Canada really peeves him off.
I can see how being banned from entering the country would tend to peeve off toxic pseudo-intellectuals with superiority complexes and over-inflated egos. So one way to vent their spite and revenge is to go trolling on internet to yank chains and ring bells with their vulgarities, degrading put downs, bluster and chest thumping threats of invasion of the country that banned them.

I'd be happy if people like that were banned from the forums they haunt too. However, they do illustrate a prime example of the kind of toxic people that Canada and most other polite countries wouldn't welcome into their countries.

Old 12-27-2016, 01:50 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I can see how being banned from entering the country would tend to peeve off toxic pseudo-intellectuals with superiority complexes and over-inflated egos. So one way to vent their spite and revenge is to go trolling on internet to yank chains and ring bells with their vulgarities, degrading put downs, bluster and chest thumping threats of invasion of the country that banned them.

I'd be happy if people like that were banned from the forums they haunt too. However, they do illustrate a prime example of the kind of toxic people that Canada and most other polite countries wouldn't welcome into their countries.

Banned from entering the country? Is there something I don't know about our biggest fan

Do tell! I was away for awhile so what did I miss....

Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 AM

783 posts, read 572,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Where did you get the idea that Canada is seeking those states?
Have you completely missed the point of this thread?

No one is saying that Canada is actually 'seeking' those states, but the hypothetical that was posed in the OP is about those states becoming part of Canada. And the map shows the entirety of those states AS PART of Canada. So I was pointing out that the map in the OP would be incorrect. All of that land does not belong to those states in the first place.

Get it now?

Old 12-28-2016, 03:52 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
The US does not need to invade Canada militarily in order to dominate and control it. This is a point many are missing on here.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US does not need to invade Canada militarily in order to dominate and control it. This is a point many are missing on here.
That is rather cryptic AJ lol...

I think you know that we as Canadians are probably generally aware that the U.S is the dominant country on our Continent. Do you really think we need reminded about that? There are however varying degrees of control and domination. A full scale military invasion that gets Manitopiaaa all hot and not so bothered, is a bit different than the other methods of control and domination that you are cryptically referring to.

In the face of that control and domination (i'm having to infer what you mean of course), there are things we can do and have done to maintain our own identity, values and laws. The same argument of course could be made about countries other than Canada being controlled and dominated as well. We've probably seen some of them move to create a buffer to that in Latin America by embracing Russia and China in an effort to release some of that grip. Of course, you're dancing with other hegemonies in order to do that.

Speaking of Russia and control/domination. Some may say that that is exactly what happened with its hacking during the U.S Elections as one of many examples. I suppose the 'best' forms of control and domination are so subtle however that one wouldn't even know it!

Last edited by fusion2; 12-28-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,581,113 times
Give canada 25 states. Make it fair...

Old 12-28-2016, 05:33 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
That is rather cryptic AJ lol...

I think you know that we as Canadians are probably generally aware that the U.S is the dominant country on our Continent. Do you really think we need reminded about that? There are however varying degrees of control and domination. A full scale military invasion that gets Manitopiaaa all hot and not so bothered, is a bit different than the other methods of control and domination that you are cryptically referring to.

In the face of that control and domination (i'm having to infer what you mean of course), there are things we can do and have done to maintain our own identity, values and laws. The same argument of course could be made about countries other than Canada being controlled and dominated as well. We've probably seen some of them move to create a buffer to that in Latin America by embracing Russia and China in an effort to release some of that grip.

Speaking of Russia and control/domination. Some may say that that is exactly what happened with its hacking during the U.S Elections as one of many examples. I suppose the 'best' forms of control and domination are so subtle however that one wouldn't even know it!
The US already has almost all of what it needs and wants from Canada without any bloodshed: acces to our market for their products, to our land for defence purposes, to our resources, etc.

No need to annex us or invade us. Not worth the hassle.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US already has almost all of what it needs and wants from Canada without any bloodshed: acces to our market for their products, to our land for defence purposes, to our resources, etc.

No need to annex us or invade us. Not worth the hassle.
Well access to our market for their products - sure and we don't have access to theirs for our products/services? Access to our resources well sure, I don't think we have any issues with that. A good deal of our food supply comes from them and they have been a pretty good partner in that regard. I'm also ok with NORAD it just makes sense. Notice all of the above and most Canadians would probably be OK with that arrangement. A military invasion not so much and there are reasons behind that.

So yeah there is a measure of 'control and dominance' but I think to varying degrees a lot of countries need to rely on the 'partnership' of others. I do agree with you however that it wouldn't be worth not only the 'hassle' to the U.S, but also the enormous global instability an invasion would cause when one democratic country would invade another without its consent and yes, there are indeed sticky parts to that ie NATO and other countries thinking - wtf if they did that to Canada a pretty prominent democracy, are we next. It would be a total disaster for all involved.

In light of that, regarding the U.S/Canada relationship as simply control and dominance is a bit simplistic.

Old 12-28-2016, 05:54 AM

Speaking of control and dominance i'm about to totally give FIDO the boot for a multitude of deserved reasons. PLEASE Verizon, T-Mobile etc come up here and dominate our market. Our currently crop of telecom companies are all about ripping off the Canadian consumer and dominating and controlling us. That shake up would be more than welcomed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada