Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 10:55 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Here in France, I pay 9.99 euros a months (15.99 after the first 6 months) for the following

unlimited talking and texting in France
5 GB of data
unlimited talking to fixed phones to the EU, Canada, China, the US etc.

1 Euro = 1.41 CAD. And the french price is the FULL price, no additional taxes and all that sh8t.

For TV, I pay 29.99 Euros for all the dozens of channels (including HD), including home internet.
The issue, and I know the issues since I worked for a Telecommunications company, is that in Canada serving the second largest country in the world, with a small paying population is just more expensive to operate. It's simple math.

Also the incumbent companies must by law give access to their networks for the smaller mobility companies at set reduced costs.

Unlimited talking and texting in France, meaning an area 1/3 the size of Quebec, doesn't equate to unlimited talking and texting within Canada. The cost of infrastructure again.

Now unlimited talking to the EU, Canada etc to landlines is great, but who under a certain age has a landline? If I'm calling a business's landline, it's usually toll free anyways. In the very rare circumstance that I would have to call a business overseas ( never have had to ) I would email them, and ask to Skype or FaceTime with them.
Even friends. I Skyped with them while they were in London.

Unlimited talking to fixed phones ( landlines ). Why the difference? My plan has unlimited talking and texting to all phones in Canada.

Another thing to take into consideration, albeit smallish, is your TV license fees in Europe. In France is it still 125 Euros per year? So your 30 Euros is actually 40 Euros.

In the end, there is no doubt Canadians pay more, but again who needs cable? Mobility plans in Canada do lack cheap data, but that may change.

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-28-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The issue, and I know the issues since I worked for a Telecommunications company, is that in Canada serving the second largest country in the world, with a small paying population is just more expensive to operate. It's simple math.

Also the incumbent companies must by law give access to their networks for the smaller mobility companies at set reduced costs.

Unlimited talking and texting in France, meaning an area 1/3 the size of Quebec, doesn't equate to unlimited talking and texting within Canada. The cost of infrastructure again.
So far makes sense. Large land comes at a hefty price. You can't even have decent train service because people live so far apart. The Canadian train will look laughable in France and the cost of domestic flight amazing people outside Canada.

Quote:
Now unlimited talking to the EU, Canada etc to landlines is great, but who under a certain age has a landline? If I'm calling a business's landline, it's usually toll free anyways. In the very rare circumstance that I would have to call a business overseas ( never have had to ) I would email them, and ask to Skype or FaceTime with them.
Even friends. I Skyped with them while they were in London.

Unlimited talking to fixed phones ( landlines ). Why the difference? My plan has unlimited talking and texting to all phones in Canada.

Another thing to take into consideration, albeit smallish, is your TV license fees in Europe. In France is it still 125 Euros per year? So your 30 Euros is actually 40 Euros.

In the end, there is no doubt Canadians pay more, but again who needs cable? Mobility plans in Canada do lack cheap data, but that may change.
Now you are doing this again - if there is something Canada/Vancouver doesn't have, then you MUST find reasons to say it is useless.

Who has a landline? Many do. I call my mother on her landline all the time. Skype call is NOT free and Facetime? You think every single person has an Iphone? Plus what about when you are outside and have no wifi? You are going to use your precious 1G of data to do it? Plenty of scenarios this option can be valuable.

Your unlimited talking in CANADA - that's like 36 million people in total. And you act as if there is great service to boast about. I doubt in any other country where you can make unlimited calls to fewer than that few people. Belgium?

My TV is second hand here, so I don't need to pay that tax.

And who needs cable? Well, if nobody needs cable, then how did those Cable companies in Canada do business? Or the customers are all retarded? Plus, even if you don't NEED it, the fact you have it for essentially for free, isn't it a great thing? Without it, how the hell can you watch Games of Thrones live? People say they don't need cable because it is expensive and not worth the price (70-100$ in Canada?), but if you let them to have the premium channels for $10 a months, most of them including yourself will want it.

You just can't admit for once about anything not so great about Canada or Vancouver, can you? Even the 10 inch snow you had two weeks ago is probably the most beautiful snow you ever saw in your life, but when it is 12 degree in Vancouver and snowing/freazing elsewhere, you will gloat again like a 12 year old little girl.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
So far makes sense. Large land comes at a hefty price. You can't even have decent train service because people live so far apart. The Canadian train will look laughable in France and the cost of domestic flight amazing people outside Canada.

Now you are doing this again - if there is something Canada/Vancouver doesn't have, then you MUST find reasons to say it is useless.

Who has a landline? Many do. I call my mother on her landline all the time. Skype call is NOT free and Facetime? You think every single person has an Iphone? Plus what about when you are outside and have no wifi? You are going to use your precious 1G of data to do it? Plenty of scenarios this option can be valuable.

Your unlimited talking in CANADA - that's like 36 million people in total. And you act as if there is great service to boast about. I doubt in any other country where you can make unlimited calls to fewer than that few people. Belgium?

My TV is second hand here, so I don't need to pay that tax.

And who needs cable? Well, if nobody needs cable, then how did those Cable companies in Canada do business? Or the customers are all retarded? Plus, even if you don't NEED it, the fact you have it for essentially for free, isn't it a great thing? Without it, how the hell can you watch Games of Thrones live? People say they don't need cable because it is expensive and not worth the price (70-100$ in Canada?), but if you let them to have the premium channels for $10 a months, most of them including yourself will want it.

You just can't admit for once about anything not so great about Canada or Vancouver, can you? Even the 10 inch snow you had two weeks ago is probably the most beautiful snow you ever saw in your life, but when it is 12 degree in Vancouver and snowing/freazing elsewhere, you will gloat again like a 12 year old little girl.
I never said a landline was useless, although millions do without one. I said fewer and fewer people opt for one. In another 10 years, or earlier, they will be as rare as phone booths. That doesn't mean the infrastructure over fibre and copper will disappear, it's just for RESIDENTIAL usage, landlines are 19th century technology that is slowly being replaced. I witnessed the start of this while I was working. Younger people were no longer opting for a landline. This also doesn't mean that the physical line, if old copper is useless. That's how DSL works.

Skype video calling IS free. To clarify, I never said I used it to call phone numbers. The term "Skyped " generally means video calling.
FaceTime is the same as Skype except you are limited to other Mac users. You can also use GMAIL to make free phone calls as well.

You don't need cable to watch the myriad of programming available through the internet via service and VPN's.
Cable customer are losing customers at a steady rate. 160,000 cable subscribers in Canada cancelled their service in 2015. They are losing more customers than they gain, and this is the new trend.

TV subscribers dwindling, but prices rise, CRTC data shows - Business - CBC News

Games of Thrones live. LOL Really? Well first off it's not live. Secondly there are many ways to watch shows soon after they air. I'm not that desperate in my " TV " viewing. However IMPORTANT events are usually found live on the internet. I watched the US debates for instance, on Bloomberg's channel.

Of course if cable were 10 bucks a month people wouldn't be so hasty to get rid of it. I on the other hand didn't get rid of cable because of cost. I got rid of it because there is nothing but crap and reality shows.

Somehow I don't think the operating costs of running a cable company could be covered with subscribers paying so little. It's not like Netflix, which doesn't have to maintain the physical aspect of providng the service. Switches, cable/fibre that is physically located in every home or apartment.

Your really went off the deep end with " You just can't admit for once about anything not so great about Canada or Vancouver, can you? Even the 10 inch snow you had two weeks ago is probably the most beautiful snow you ever saw in your life, but when it is 12 degree in Vancouver and snowing/freazing elsewhere, you will gloat again like a 12 year old little girl. "

No. This is about informing people when they compare apples and oranges and don't understand the differences...and your Canada bashing. You seem to want to blame a country for being so big with such a small population. You can't seem to wrap your head around the facts.

!0 inches of snow? That's 25.4 Centimetres. Hmmm. Must of missed that. We have 3.4 ( 1.34 inches ) in the last two weeks, and 9 Centimetres ( 3.5 inches )total,in the last 3 months.

Vancouver Historical Snowfall

As for me gloating when it's freezing elsewhere. Well, I'd be exhausted if as a Vancouverite I did that, since it's is usually colder elsewhere in Canada.

The ONLY time I tease people, is when they are in or from Toronto. It's an age old, Vancouver/Toronto thing, but you obviously don't get that. Once again you've assumed to know a place better than you do.

EDIT: As for your TV licensing fee. You may be exempt, but not for the reason you state. How accurate is this information?

https://www.french-property.com/news...cence_payment/

I know the French love bureaucracy, but keeping track of TV sets that are second hand seems an insane task, especially since the tax is per household not TV, it just doesn't make sense. Did you just make that up? Or are the French having one over on you?

Last edited by Natnasci; 12-28-2016 at 03:36 PM..

Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

10 inches of snow? That's 25.4 Centimetres. Hmmm. Must of missed that. We have 3.4 ( 1.34 inches ) in the last two weeks, and 9 Centimetres ( 3.5 inches )total,in the last 3 months.
Throughout the lower mainland I think downtown Vancouver at sea level got the very least amount of snow of everyone. That 10 inches did occur at north shore's higher elevations and of course several towns further east out in the Fraser Valley. We totalled about 7 inches here between my place and Mission before it started raining sleet again. It's melting and running off far too slowly for my liking, there sure is a lot of nasty ankle deep slush everywhere now. Yuk!

Old 12-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Throughout the lower mainland I think downtown Vancouver at sea level got the very least amount of snow of everyone. That 10 inches did occur at north shore's higher elevations and of course several towns further east out in the Fraser Valley. We totalled about 7 inches here between my place and Mission before it started raining sleet again. It's melting and running off far too slowly for my liking, there sure is a lot of nasty ankle deep slush everywhere now. Yuk!

No doubt, but Botti knows I live in Vancouver, not the North Shore or in the burbs, and his statement was about Vancouver, not the Lower Mainland.

Regardless, he's being a bit of a twit today LOL

Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

As for me gloating when it's freezing elsewhere. Well, I'd be exhausted if as a Vancouverite I did that, since it's is usually colder elsewhere in Canada.

The ONLY time I tease people, is when they are in or from Toronto. It's an age old, Vancouver/Toronto thing, but you obviously don't get that. Once again you've assumed to know a place better than you do.

From the perspective of a person that grew up in a beautiful Mediterranean environment, someone from Vancouver making fun of winter in Toronto it's like someone with lice making fun of someone else because he got crabs...either way it sucks!!

Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
From the perspective of a person that grew up in a beautiful Mediterranean environment, someone from Vancouver making fun of winter in Toronto it's like someone with lice making fun of someone else because he got crabs...either way it sucks!!
It's all relative and a very old joke within Canada. It has nothing to do with the rest of the world.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,954,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Manitopiaaa isn't your typical liberal in the U.S..

Most of them are far more concerned about what is going on down there and have great concerns about the next four years. They are also much more Canada friendly than he is. They wouldn't be talking with gusto about the U.S invading Canada at all! Either Manitopiaaa is a very odd 'liberal' outlier or more than likely this discussion is purely for entertainment purposes through his lens because something about Canada really peeves him off.

BBM (bold by me)

What are you talking about?

Are you making comments about someone who comments on this online forum?
Why do you do that?
What do you hope to achieve?

Do you have something to say, or is it your intent to sway others by targeting one?

Are you unable to say something without making it personal?

Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The US does not need to invade Canada militarily in order to dominate and control it. This is a point many are missing on here.

Of course not. They both know what it means to cooperate.

Is Trump and only child? Just wondering, because cooperation does appear to be one of his weak suits.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Give canada 25 states. Make it fair...
The USA is a smaller country than Canada and cannot afford to lose land if it wants to remain a superpower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada