Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 04:16 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
However, in western media, the Jews are always singled out as a different group of people, as if it were a race or ethnicity. I don't know why. It is nothing but a religion people can choose to to have or abandon.
Not exactly. It's both a religion AND a race/ethnicity, in a way. Children born to Jewish mothers are considered to be Jews. They don't have to believe or do anything special--they are Jews, because they were born that way. In fact, many Jews are actually agnostics or atheists.

Of course people can also convert to Judaism as well, but I understand it's quite the process.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:40 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Only if Alberta can join with the U.S.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
BBM (bold by me)

What are you talking about?

Are you making comments about someone who comments on this online forum?
Why do you do that?
What do you hope to achieve?

Do you have something to say, or is it your intent to sway others by targeting one?

Are you unable to say something without making it personal?
Where is this interrogation coming from? I also can't believe you would begin to even defend someone who constantly brings a dump truck full of crap into the CAD forums and slings it at our country every chance he gets yet you are nit picking my posts? Are you for real... Please... give your head a shake

Old 01-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Thank you Lieneke. I appreciate your even-handedness. I have never insulted fusion and have never attacked anyone else on this forum. It's quite odd, therefore, that people like Fusion and Zoisite and BruSan accuse of me of being rude and vulgar, yet they are the ones throwing insults in every post. It's one thing to criticize my opinions, but ad hominem attacks do little to advance one's argument. I'm glad you are calling some out on their double standards.
Awe poor baby! I must apologize for not recognizing your balanced and objective commentary about Canada in these forums..... Good to know Lieneke has got your back for the times the rest of us are being unfair. Meryl Streep got it all wrong about us eh... pfffft..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Not to mention your airlines and airports. Outrageous fees at every corner and absurd travel costs. Never paying Air Canada another cent.
Most of the large airports in Canada (YYZ, YVR, YYC, YUL etc) don't get any federal funding and actually have to pay rent to the Federal government. They have, since 1996 been responsible for financing everything themselves and they've done a pretty good job with it. Flying domestically is pretty darned expensive in Canada but a part of it is simply vast distance with a relatively small population for its size. On the other hand, flying Internationally out of airports like YYZ can be a bargain. For example, I just got back from CDG today and my RT airfare Canadian on AC was 620 CAD. That is not an egregious airfare at all.

In April my partner and I are going to Thailand on China Eastern and the RT airfare was 736 CAD for each - I've never seen an airfare out of YYZ to Thailand so cheap. We also jumped on a 500 CAD return airfare at the end of June on TAP (new Carrier in Toronto) so there are absolutely great deals to be had flying internationally inclusive of all fees/taxes/surcharges etc.

I don't go out of my way to fly on any Carrier. Generally if they are cheaper and the routing works for me i'll take it including American Carriers. My ACA flight from CDG today was pretty good actually, but a big part of it is that they were using a new 787-9 aircraft. This has a big impact on the quality of a flight. If you're going across the pond on a 25-30 year old 767-300 regardless of Carrier, it probably won't be as pleasant.

If you choose never to fly on Air Canada again that is certainly your prerogative but AC is always breaking records in terms of how many U.S pax are connecting in Canadian airports flying to International destinations, so its unlikely your personal decision will counter that overall trend.

Last edited by fusion2; 01-11-2017 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:06 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Only if Alberta can join with the U.S.
Hot take. Very original.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:18 PM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awe poor baby! I must apologize for not recognizing your balanced and objective commentary about Canada in these forums..... Good to know Lieneke has got your back for the times the rest of us are being unfair. Meryl Streep got it all wrong about us eh... pfffft..

Most of the large airports in Canada (YYZ, YVR, YYC, YUL etc) don't get any federal funding and actually have to pay rent to the Federal government. They have, since 1996 been responsible for financing everything themselves and they've done a pretty good job with it. Flying domestically is pretty darned expensive in Canada but a part of it is simply vast distance with a relatively small population for its size. On the other hand, flying Internationally out of airports like YYZ can be a bargain. For example, I just got back from CDG today and my RT airfare Canadian on AC was 620 CAD. That is not an egregious airfare at all.

In April my partner and I are going to Thailand on China Eastern and the RT airfare was 736 CAD for each - I've never seen an airfare out of YYZ to Thailand so cheap. We also jumped on a 500 CAD return airfare at the end of June on TAP (new Carrier in Toronto) so there are absolutely great deals to be had flying internationally inclusive of all fees/taxes/surcharges etc.

I don't go out of my way to fly on any Carrier. Generally if they are cheaper and the routing works for me i'll take it including American Carriers. My ACA flight from CDG today was pretty good actually, but a big part of it is that they were using a new 787-9 aircraft. This has a big impact on the quality of a flight. If you're going across the pond on a 25-30 year old 767-300 regardless of Carrier, it probably won't be as pleasant.

If you choose never to fly on Air Canada again that is certainly your prerogative but AC is always breaking records in terms of how many U.S pax are connecting in Canadian airports flying to International destinations, so its unlikely your personal decision will counter that overall trend.
Yes, it is cheaper to fly to another side of the globe, than to hop to Quebec City or Halifax (from Toronto). No wonder people don't travel much inside Canada. Cheap airfare can bring a lot of tourists to many places and revive local economies, but it looks no one really cares about it in Canada. Canadian domestic air travel is a lost case, unfortunately.

fusion2, enjoy Songkran in April!

Old 01-12-2017, 04:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
They're getting ready for an influx of disgruntled Libs. I give it a couple of months and Canada will building its own wall. ... and make us pay for it.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
They're getting ready for an influx of disgruntled Libs. I give it a couple of months and Canada will building its own wall. ... and make us pay for it.
I hope the liberal losers move to Canada and stay there. I will be glad to get rid of them.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I hope the liberal losers move to Canada and stay there. I will be glad to get rid of them.
A little premature don't you think?

So far the only ones claiming they'd leave are those among the wealthy...hardly losers if using the traditional GOP yardstick. Smarter perhaps.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post

fusion2, enjoy Songkran in April!
Thanks! That is why we were surprised how cheap the fare was and grabbed it knowing that Songkran festivities happen in April. It should be a lot of fun. We'll also be checking out Chiang Mai this time around so really looking forward to this trip! Of course flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is super cheap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada