Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:31 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

He died a few days ago.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smMP0UJZd_Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
My dad would.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:28 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
My dad would have remembered, but he is no longer with us.

I think you'll find that to be common: Gordie Tapp was more recognizable to our parents or grandparents. I remember that he hosted a music channel on Air Canada's inflight entertainment in the early 1980s, which is my only memory of him. Even so, I had to ask my dad who he was, and why he was hosting, instead of better-known contemporary radio hosts.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I remember him well. I'd bet Brusan does too.

Tapp was a hoot. Good man. I guess none of you youngsters ever saw the comedy show Hee Haw when you were growing up? Probably before your time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Tapp

Quote:
Gordon Robert "Gordie" Tapp, CM, O.Ont (June 4, 1922 – December 18, 2016), born in London, Ontario,[1] was a Canadian entertainer, best known as a radio and television presenter, comedian and a CBS broadcaster. He was introduced to U.S. PresidentGerald Ford as the world's funniest storyteller.[2]

Tapp studied at the Lorne Greene Academy of Radio Arts. He was the host for Main Street Jamboree, a radio program broadcast from Hamilton during the 1950s. Tapp later emceed the CBC television show Country Hoedown as well as The Performers, a series of shows featuring 'up and coming' young Canadian talent, which was recorded in major Canadian cities, like Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Vancouver. He went on to perform and write for the CBS television show Hee Haw. His famous roles were Cousin Clem, Samuel B. Sternwheeler, Mr. Gordon the storekeeper, and Lavern Nagger, the forever put-upon husband of Ida Lee Nagger (Roni Stoneman).

Tapp was inducted into the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame in 1990.[1] He was awarded the Order of Canada in 1998 for his work in helping raise funds for organizations such as the Canadian Muscular Dystrophy campaign and Easter Seals.[3]
In 1999, he was awarded the Order of Ontario — the highest honour in the province of Ontario.
In his later life, Tapp was the commercial spokesperson for the Ultramatic adjustable bed.[4]
Tapp died in Burlington, Ontario on December 18, 2016 at the age of 94.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:36 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Tapp was a hoot. Good man. I guess none of you youngsters ever saw the comedy show Hee Haw when you were growing up? Probably before your time.
No, I remember when Hee Haw was on. It just wasn't on in our house.

As I recall, another Canadian noted for his Hee Haw work was Don Harron, aka Charlie Farquharson. Again, I never watched him on that show, though I know the "Charlie Farquharson" character from his books, and clips occasionally shown on TV. We got to know Mr. Harron better when he spoke at our high school in about 1974 or 1975--I still recall that he started off with, "Most of you know me for this [launching into Charlie's voice]: 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' But there's more to me than that." He went on to deliver a fascinating speech.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:05 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
No, I remember when Hee Haw was on. It just wasn't on in our house.

As I recall, another Canadian noted for his Hee Haw work was Don Harron, aka Charlie Farquharson. Again, I never watched him on that show, though I know the "Charlie Farquharson" character from his books, and clips occasionally shown on TV. We got to know Mr. Harron better when he spoke at our high school in about 1974 or 1975--I still recall that he started off with, "Most of you know me for this [launching into Charlie's voice]: 'Hee! Hee! Hee!' But there's more to me than that." He went on to deliver a fascinating speech.
That's pretty much it for me too, minus the high school visit.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:38 AM

The serious side of Gordie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWd6SYBRIrA

Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM

Gordie on Hee Haw.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pNG_Mh8XvR8

Old 12-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Gordie on "The Tommy Hunter Show".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XS4DHI-2dNw

Who'd a thought Canadians liked country music?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Tapp

Oh yeah! I got this one.

First exposure was dad listening to Mainstreet Jamboree on the big consul radio and later Country Hoedown on CBC TV. Any regularly scheduled program with Gordie or Wayne and Shuster featured was a must hear/watch in our house.

I didn't know he was an alumni of the Lorne Greene Academy.

Only later did he regain popularity on Hee Haw.

Anybody remember a CBC show called "The Performers" that ran in the early 70's?

https://news.google.com/newspapers?i...g=3359,2515351
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada