U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you personally want to happen to the monarchy in Canada when Queen Elizabeth II dies?
We keep it 25 56.82%
We get rid of it 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:03 AM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I've said it before, since 1982, Canada has been operating as a defacto parliamentary republic. Our constitution is ours to uphold. All of the duties that are carried out by the GG could be duplicated by a Canadian-born elected head of state.

And since our Governor General now has all the powers necessary, The most important reason to make it an elected office is to remove the ability of a sitting Prime Minister to "advise" (to pick for him/herself) to The Queen who to choose (rubber stamp) as our surrogate head of state.

We have a system where the head of government chooses who will be "surrogate" head of state, a position with duties that in other parliamentary republics has been replaced with an elected office.

It will only be a matter of time.
You seriously believe the Queen through Canadas Governor General will eventually dictate policy to our duly elected Prime Minister.As said before the Queen and the British monarchy are a relic of a bygone history and have no power over Canada.The queens passing will affect no aspect of Canadas government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 05:22 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,457,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You seriously believe the Queen through Canadas Governor General will eventually dictate policy to our duly elected Prime Minister.
I said nothing like that. I said the PM chooses our "effective" head of state, the GG. It's like a employee hiring his boss.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:52 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I said nothing like that. I said the PM chooses our "effective" head of state, the GG. It's like a employee hiring his boss.
The head of the state is not the boss. The PM is.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:06 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,633,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
No, that is not the reason - I don't care about that. It has to do more with his views on globalism and global warming, etc. with which I don't agree - even though I am sure all the Royal family has similar views .. I think he is more pedantic and outspoken about them than the Queen, or so far, his son. He also seems so very cold to me compared to both the Queen and his sons. His demeanor seems more haughty than regal to me. Personal opinion only though. But, I do have to say that I am his contemporary (and British born) and when I was a young girl, as many did in those days I am sure, I dreamed of someday meeting and marrying him. He just doesn't appeal to me now. I would rather see William be King. That said though, I also hope the Queen lives many years yet.
My father once met Charlie, simply said he was a very nice guy, unfortunately my father is no longer with us so I couldn't now ask him to expand his view!

Old 01-05-2017, 09:12 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Why would you need a head of state separate from the the prime minister PLUS 10 provincial reps of the head of state?
Because if you didn't separate the head of state from the head of government, you'd have an American-style President. Our constitution requires the offices to be separate, at both the provincial and federal levels. And so, we have the monarchy, represented at the federal level by the GG, and at the provincial level by the LGs.

(Your question also touches on a separation-of-powers matter: provincial LGs cannot assent to laws that are ultra vires the province, and vice versa as regards the GG; so both the GG and the LGs are necessary; see Constitution, ss. 91-95, and caselaw.)

Getting rid of the monarchy is one of the most difficult things to change in the constitution. While most changes would follow the 7/50 formula, getting rid of the monarchy requires all ten provinces plus Parliament to agree to get rid of it. See Charter, ss. 38-49. Besides, after the experiences of Meech Lake and Charlottetown, I'd guess that most Canadians would be reluctant to have yet another constitutional conference. Especially one to address an issue that would basically require rewriting the constitution from scratch.

Why? Because the constitution sets out how we are governed and the monarchy is a big part of that, so a rewrite would be necessary. And as a colleague and fellow constitutional scholar pointed out in a message, "The question is not, 'Should we get rid of the Queen?' The question really should be, 'Okay, if we get rid of the Queen, what do we replace her with?'" He went on to say that that question was what scuppered the Australian referendum on getting rid of the monarchy in 1999--while the majority of Australians didn't feel that the monarchy was serving any real purpose, they had conflicting ideas on what to replace it with. So, the majority voted to keep it. Better the devil you know, and all that.

I think that we should set aside the question of, "Should we get rid of the monarchy?" If some want to go that route, they would do well to come up a reasonable alternative that they can present to all Canadians first. If they succeed in selling their idea to Canadians, only then should it be time to revisit the first question.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,633,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think people will construe whatever the future British King says about climate change as representing Canada. In reality, very few in the world actually link th British Monarchy with Canada.
Its funny you say this because whoever comes next isn't the future British king anymore than the future Canadian king, whether in the UK, Canada, Australia or anywhere else the Queen is currently Queen she actually has no real power, she seems to me to be like a grandmother you never get to see, of course any nation that has the Queen as the Queen can 'ditch' her at any time, personally I am not particularly royalist however the royal family seem to fascinate not just us that share them but people from the world over, its kind of nice in a way and it is something albeit small that keeps Canadians, Australians and Britons etc a tiny little bit of a 'family' and surely that is a nice thing isn't it?

Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM

13,650 posts, read 8,569,484 times
If I may interject, this American likes the idea of having a queen (or king) and hopes the tradition continues on.

I have come to view The Queen as I would a mother in any other large family in that she is the glue that sort of holds things together and establishes the standard for behavior if nothing else.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its funny you say this because whoever comes next isn't the future British king anymore than the future Canadian king, whether in the UK, Canada, Australia or anywhere else the Queen is currently Queen she actually has no real power, she seems to me to be like a grandmother you never get to see, of course any nation that has the Queen as the Queen can 'ditch' her at any time, personally I am not particularly royalist however the royal family seem to fascinate not just us that share them but people from the world over, its kind of nice in a way and it is something albeit small that keeps Canadians, Australians and Britons etc a tiny little bit of a 'family' and surely that is a nice thing isn't it?
I completely agree.

And I think Canadians will not feel the same toward the next king as they do to the current Queen. But the system is not broken, does more good than harm (actually no harm at all), so I don't think there will be any incentive to abolish the monarchy.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
I would propose that we establish (either by force or parliamentary action) a Canadian national as the next Queen.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM

7,226 posts, read 6,575,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I would propose that we establish (either by force or parliamentary action) a Canadian national as the next Queen.
We? By force? Who is this "we" that a Californian speaks of? Surely you aren't suggesting that America has any say in the matter?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or