Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you personally want to happen to the monarchy in Canada when Queen Elizabeth II dies?
We keep it 25 56.82%
We get rid of it 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 03:16 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

The author of this article estimates the cost to Canada of having the royal family at about $50 million per year, excluding hosting costs: Pricing Our Monarchy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 03:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
The author of this article estimates the cost to Canada of having the royal family at about $50 million per year, excluding hosting costs: Pricing Our Monarchy
the price of a small latte from Tim Horton's PER YEAR, so costly!

Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That seems like a bargain compared to what it would cost to elect/house/deal with a local head of state/President.

In my heart, after Elizabeth passes, I'd like to see Charles abdicate, and just move on to William.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
That seems like a bargain compared to what it would cost to elect/house/deal with a local head of state/President.

In my heart, after Elizabeth passes, I'd like to see Charles abdicate, and just move on to William.
A feeling shared, in my opinion, by the majority of us.

Also a "feeling" the Queen is fully aware of and is sticking to her post until William and Kate develop additional maturity.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Why does Charles becoming King matter? I thought the premise behind a constitutional monarchy was as an idea that was greater than any one individual. I get that William seems more likeable than Charles but I don't see how it really matters much who reigns.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Why would you need a head of state separate from the the prime minister PLUS 10 provincial reps of the head of state?

This is how the ceremonial role of a Lieutenant-Governor is described:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieu...eremonial_role

Old 01-04-2017, 11:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Why does Charles becoming King matter? I thought the premise behind a constitutional monarchy was as an idea that was greater than any one individual. I get that William seems more likeable than Charles but I don't see how it really matters much who reigns.
It only matters in the context of the public at large "acceptability of personality". In the end it would make very little to no difference in the governing of Canada.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,942 times
I've said it before, since 1982, Canada has been operating as a defacto parliamentary republic. Our constitution is ours to uphold. All of the duties that are carried out by the GG could be duplicated by a Canadian-born elected head of state.

And since our Governor General now has all the powers necessary, The most important reason to make it an elected office is to remove the ability of a sitting Prime Minister to "advise" (to pick for him/herself) to The Queen who to choose (rubber stamp) as our surrogate head of state.

We have a system where the head of government chooses who will be "surrogate" head of state, a position with duties that in other parliamentary republics has been replaced with an elected office.

It will only be a matter of time.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:17 PM

380 posts, read 430,529 times
When the queen dies, I would be willing to revisit the concept of Canada and the monarchy, but not before.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I've said it before, since 1982, Canada has been operating as a defacto parliamentary republic. Our constitution is ours to uphold. All of the duties that are carried out by the GG could be duplicated by a Canadian-born elected head of state.

And since our Governor General now has all the powers necessary, The most important reason to make it an elected office is to remove the ability of a sitting Prime Minister to "advise" (to pick for him/herself) to The Queen who to choose (rubber stamp) as our surrogate head of state.

We have a system where the head of government chooses who will be "surrogate" head of state, a position with duties that in other parliamentary republics has been replaced with an elected office.

It will only be a matter of time.
yeah, no wonder monarchs in countries like the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Belgium always feel free to pick their government heads regardless of election results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada