U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 04:57 AM
BMI

7,266 posts, read 4,534,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Good points. I'd say that 90% of the route from QC to Saguenay along 75 is in the Shield.

Rock has already been blasted on TCH. If there was political will, it would get done.

It seems Quebec just seems to focus more on roads, at least to the important parts. I mean, it even has roads up to Hudson Bay and up to Labrador.
Having lived in both Quebec and Ontario, I think "mind set", aka political will, has a lot to do with it.
When there is a will, there is a way.

Quebec is much more, let's get it done, we'll worry about paying later, more flamboyant,
just look at the Montreal Olympic Stadium.
A hypothetical Toronto Olympic Stadium would be a kind of compromised
less grandiose effort.

The irony the more "careful" Ontario is pretty much just as heavily in debt as Quebec anyway.

And don't forget, Ontario is the giant powerhouse Province,
it has a population of about 14 million.... about 40 percent of Canada's population.
Ontario should be able to foot the bill for twinning, though Ontario has been
mismanaged for years now. Deeply in debt.

Interesting thing is that because in Canada the highways are provincial rather than federal,
you get some provinces with noticeably better road systems, more "uneven" than in the US.
Imagine the USA without the federal highway system....some states would still have
very good highways....others not so much.

In Canada it is not always the biggest, richest provinces with the best highways.
New Brunswick for example, punches above it's weight, for a small province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 AM

10,827 posts, read 9,471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Having lived in both Quebec and Ontario, I think "mind set", aka political will, has a lot to do with it.
When there is a will, there is a way.

Quebec is much more, let's get it done, we'll worry about paying later, more flamboyant,
just look at the Montreal Olympic Stadium.
A hypothetical Toronto Olympic Stadium would be a kind of compromised
less grandiose effort.

The irony the more "careful" Ontario is pretty much just as heavily in debt as Quebec anyway.

And don't forget, Ontario is the giant powerhouse Province,
it has a population of about 14 million.... about 40 percent of Canada's population.
Ontario should be able to foot the bill for twinning, though Ontario has been
mismanaged for years now. Deeply in debt.

Interesting thing is that because in Canada the highways are provincial rather than federal,
you get some provinces with noticeably better road systems, more "uneven" than in the US.
Imagine the USA without the federal highway system....some states would still have
very good highways....others not so much.

In Canada it is not always the biggest, richest provinces with the best highways.
New Brunswick for example, punches above it's weight, for a small province.
I am curious, are Canadians more or less content with staying within their city and not traveling much?
Here in the US, every summer we have a multi week vacation that is usually a road trip. For us, we have driven to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Canyons, New Orleans, California, Florida, DC, NYC, Boston... Part of that is the interstate highway system is so useful. Always twinned, always controlled access, rest stop every 30 miles or so, gas stations at predictable intervals. I really think it's the envy of the world.

It seems that maybe Canadians don't really travel that much within their own country? I mean, do any Toronto folks take a trip out west to see Banff National Park for instance? Do they take trips to the Jazz Fest in Montreal (I take trips to New Orleans for Jazz Fest). Do they take trips to Quebec City to see its history and culture? Do they take trips out to Vancouver to see its natural beauty?

Now I also take trips outside the US, but there are a lot of great things to see in the US. If I lived in Canada I would want to see as much of it as possible as well...

Old 02-11-2017, 10:38 AM
BMI

Quote:
I am curious, are Canadians more or less content with staying within their city and not traveling much?
Here in the US, every summer we have a multi week vacation that is usually a road trip. For us, we have driven to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Carlsbad Canyons, New Orleans, California, Florida, DC, NYC, Boston... Part of that is the interstate highway system is so useful. Always twinned, always controlled access, rest stop every 30 miles or so, gas stations at predictable intervals. I really think it's the envy of the world.

It seems that maybe Canadians don't really travel that much within their own country? I mean, do any Toronto folks take a trip out west to see Banff National Park for instance? Do they take trips to the Jazz Fest in Montreal (I take trips to New Orleans for Jazz Fest). Do they take trips to Quebec City to see its history and culture? Do they take trips out to Vancouver to see its natural beauty?

Now I also take trips outside the US, but there are a lot of great things to see in the US. If I lived in Canada I would want to see as much of it as possible as well...
I would say much less than in the US.

Canada seems even more spread out, infrastructure not as good, climate difficult to travel for
half the year too.

So, I don't think Canadians take nearly as many long distance road trips, oh yeah,
almost forgot gas is more expensive too.
Sadly, Canadians are more likely to take long road trips in the USA.
I say sadly, because more Canadians ought to explore their own country.

From southern Ontario, heading to the Canaan west is a chore by car, because the Great Lakes are
kinda "in the way"....have to drive pretty far north, through very rugged climate country, just to get past
Lake Superior. Easier for me to drive to the Colorado Rockies than the Canadian Rockies.

I have driven in 46 US states and all the western Canadian provinces but I am always
surprised how few Canadians have traveled within Canada.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM

10,146 posts, read 11,923,787 times
Quote:

I can't speak for other Canadians but I have seen most of this country by road. I have driven to and through all 10 provinces and 2 out of the 3 territories. There are so many great things to see in this country. I do wonder if there are any national surveys of how many Canadians have been to other provinces and territories and how many and which ones they are. Other than potential cost, are there other barriers or reasons why Canadians arent that interested in seeing more of Canada? Certain perceptions maybe?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I can't speak for other Canadians but I have seen most of this country by road. I have driven to and through all 10 provinces and 2 out of the 3 territories. There are so many great things to see in this country. I do wonder if there are any national surveys of how many Canadians have been to other provinces and territories and how many and which ones they are. Other than potential cost, are there other barriers or reasons why Canadians arent that interested in seeing more of Canada? Certain perceptions maybe?
Except for the poor or the lower middle class, almost anyone can afford at least a week vacation per year.

When I was in Disneyland in Orlando you wouldn't believe how many Canadian tourists I saw. Now this was at spring break in March when the weather is horrible in Canada but perfect in Florida, but I always seem to be able to find Canadians in the US. However, on this forum, very few people have admitted to traveling extensively in Canada.

For those from Western Canada, I rarely find someone that has traveled further East than Quebec. Hardly any of them have traveled to Atlantic Canada like New Brunswick or Nova Scotia.

For those Canadians from Atlantic Canada, many have traveled to Alberta and other points west for jobs, so it seems maybe Atlantic Canadians are more "open" to traveling.

For those from Ontario, I sense a kind of smugness, that only Ontario, and to a lesser extent Quebec count. The fact that some posters would rather travel through the Midwest US than through northern Ontario and would rather visit the US Rockies than the Canadian Rockies shows a bias.

However, I am able to say that I may be wrong, if someone can prove it to me. But the fact that TCH is not twinned in northern Ontario says all I think needs to be said... Like they say, actions speak louder than words.

Old 02-11-2017, 03:56 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times
I've been all over Canada. With one exception I've only done Western Canada by car. The other times by plane.

But the reality where I live there are lots of cool places to visit in the States that are more easily accessible from where I live than most anywhere in Canada except for southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

Population distribution and transportation networks are often oriented north-south as opposed to east-west.

I can visit the entire BosNyWash corridor in less time than it takes to get to eastern Quebec and the westernmost part of New Brunswick.

Almost all of the midwest US is closer to me than the border with the first western province, Manitoba.

And even Miami is easier to get to from here than Winnipeg.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:47 PM

12,714 posts, read 8,796,725 times
Quote:

Time. The best way to see Canada is in sections. It takes 57 hours of solid driving time, to drive from Vancouver to Halifax. LA to NYC is 40 hours, still a heck of a drive but you also have several choices on which way to go back to LA. Driving back to Vancouver from Halifax would be backtracking, mostly, if the goal was to stay only in Canada.

So people fly to different parts, and then perhaps drive and explore that part of Canada.

Many people do come to Banff etc but a common trip would be. Fly to Calgary. Rent a car, see Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise etc, drive through BC choosing one of two routes, stopping in wine country, and meandering to down to Vancouver. Then head to Vancouver Island and see Victoria, Tofino etc.

Some then would drive back to Calgary to drop the car off...depending on how high the drop off charges are.

Also cost is huge factor. It's sometimes MORE expensive to fly from Vancouver to Halifax, than it is to Europe.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:14 PM
BMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been all over Canada. With one exception I've only done Western Canada by car. The other times by plane.

But the reality where I live there are lots of cool places to visit in the States that are more easily accessible from where I live than most anywhere in Canada except for southern Ontario and southern Quebec.

Population distribution and transportation networks are often oriented north-south as opposed to east-west.

I can visit the entire BosNyWash corridor in less time than it takes to get to eastern Quebec and the westernmost part of New Brunswick.

Almost all of the midwest US is closer to me than the border with the first western province, Manitoba.

Very good points.

What cBach might not realize is the huge distances involved.
Let's say I want to visit the Canadian Rockies from Toronto....
Driving distance Toronto to just Winnipeg is 2229 km (1385 miles)
Then another 1326 km (824 miles) Winnipeg to Calgary....
That adds up to a grand total of 3555 km (2209 miles)

Let's say I want to visit the Colorado Rockies from Toronto....
Driving distance is 2425 km or 1507 miles.
Over 1000 km closer.
And by the way, I much prefer the Canadian Rockies, the Colorado Rockies
aren't nearly as rugged and majestic imo.

Same thing heading to Atlantic Canada....
Toronto to Halifax driving distance is 1796 km or 1116 miles

Toronto to Orlando, Florida driving distance is 2060 km or 1280 miles.
Just a bit farther away ....the Florida state line is even less distance
from Toronto than driving to Halifax.

Halifax has it's charms....but it's no Orlando...or Tampa

I have driven from my house to Washington, DC a couple of times,
I leave my house at 7am and I'm at my hotel room just outside DC
in Frederick, Maryland by 3:30 pm.

Leaving my house at 7am....I'd be struggling to get past Sault Ste. Marie heading to Wawa,
nowhere near Thunder Bay, never mind Winnipeg.

NE USA/New England/the Midwest are much closer to me than most of Canada except for
southern Quebec.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Well, I live in Austin, TX and Mexico City is closer to me than Washington DC or even Los Angeles, so using your logic I'd be better off just driving to points of interest in Mexico than say driving to NYC, which is even further...

I have gone down into Mexico but the border is a PIA and also I like to see my home country more.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM

21,963 posts, read 27,429,742 times
Quote:

Sorry, I've mostly done the West by plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada