U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,488,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Sure it's acceptable and true to suggest it. I can give you a few examples off the top of my head, although there may be others:

Honour killings and female genital mutilation - acceptable in some countries but not acceptable in Canada.

No longer in effect but there was the Potlatch Ban from 1885 to 1951.

Carrying of many types of culturally traditional weapons.

Bigamy and polygamy.

Underage marriage.

Forced marriage.

Spousal abuse.

Drug use or possession or trading of for religious purposes is banned to all cultures in Canada except for North American Natives (and those drugs can only be of those traditionally used herbal drugs found growing naturally in nature, some examples being peyote, psilocybin, amanita muscaria, salvia divinorum, certain types of kinickinick mixtures.)

Good point. Canada does not prevent anyone from practicing cultural traditions providing that those practices do not violate law, or infringe on the autonomy of others.

Perhaps North American Natives should abide by Canadian law and stop getting stoned for religious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I agree that colonialism has taken its toll and it will take a very long time to heal but hopefully we can move in the right direction going forward.
Colonialism is certainly the new buzz word in aboriginal conversations. If the aboriginal community was colonized, why is there a need to assist these peoples with a modern lifestyle? Wouldn't colonization have achieved that?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:33 PM

10,134 posts, read 11,887,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Colonialism is certainly the new buzz word in aboriginal conversations. If the aboriginal community was colonized, why is there a need to assist these peoples with a modern lifestyle? Wouldn't colonization have achieved that?
No because the modern lifestyle and cultural assimilation was forced on them. Residential Schools are a big example among many other things.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
No because the modern lifestyle and cultural assimilation was forced on them. Residential Schools are a big example among many other things.
Residential schools happened all over the world, so it's not a Canadian problem. Residential schools in other parts of the world are not held responsible for problems experienced by descendants of people who were in residential schools. Boarding schools are still a common thing.

Can't have it both ways - living up North and expecting someone else to pay for a modern lifestyle, and claiming that the modern lifestyle caused injury. No one is forcing anyone to live way up North, and no one is forcing anyone to accept a modern lifestyle.

The "stop colonialism" chant is a century too late, but that is what today's aboriginals are chanting. I don't think I'm alone is stating that I don't understand why this is the new conversation with aboriginals.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 2,730,376 times
The importance to Canada of the Inuit in the north:

Quote:
Arctic sovereignty has yet to be officially declared and remains largely dependent on the effective occupation and the cooperation of the Inuit communities to self-identify as Canadians under rule of the Canadian government.
Arctic Discontents A Brief History of the Inuit Relocation Experiment Obiter Dicta

The article refers to the relocation in the 1950s of several Inuit families to the high arctic. There is more about this move in this article: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Arctic_relocation

Quote:
The relocation has been a source of controversy: on one hand being described as a humanitarian gesture to save the lives of starving native people and enable them to continue a subsistence lifestyle; and on the other hand, said to be a forced migration instigated by the federal government to assert its sovereignty in the Far North by the use of "human flagpoles"
Quote:
The families were left without sufficient supplies of food and caribou skins and other materials for making appropriate clothing and tents. As they had been moved about 2,000 km (1,200 mi) to a very different ecosystem, they were unfamiliar with the wildlife and had to adjust to months of 24-hour darkness during the winter, and 24-hour sunlight during the summer, something that does not occur in northern Quebec. They were told that they would be returned home after two years if they wished, but these promises were not honoured by the government.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:45 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,164,693 times
deneb, when are you moving up there to make a difference, anyway?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
deneb, when are you moving up there to make a difference, anyway?
You never know... maybe I will I have friends who live up there and I have visited 2 out of 3 territories.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Residential schools happened all over the world, so it's not a Canadian problem. Residential schools in other parts of the world are not held responsible for problems experienced by descendants of people who were in residential schools. Boarding schools are still a common thing.

Can't have it both ways - living up North and expecting someone else to pay for a modern lifestyle, and claiming that the modern lifestyle caused injury. No one is forcing anyone to live way up North, and no one is forcing anyone to accept a modern lifestyle.

The "stop colonialism" chant is a century too late, but that is what today's aboriginals are chanting. I don't think I'm alone is stating that I don't understand why this is the new conversation with aboriginals.
I am not going to hijack this thread into one about residential schools or aboriginal mistreatment. All I will say is just because elsewhere in the world that refused to acknolwedge past wrongs doesn't mean that we have to follow suit and not do the right things.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:22 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Quote:
I am not going to hijack this thread into one about residential schools or aboriginal mistreatment. All I will say is just because elsewhere in the world that refused to acknolwedge past wrongs doesn't mean that we have to follow suit and not do the right things.
I agree, but just so we're clear, the right thing(s) is not investing additional billions beyond what has been paid in compensation.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Have the schools been closed? Has the public been made aware of the problems that were in place in the 1900s? Has there been truth and reconciliation as with the WW2 Japanese prisoners?

Is there something else that needs to be done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada