Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:36 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Who says northerners don't want to contribute to society? I am sure many do but they lack the means or opportunities. Even if they wanted to leave and go south for more opportunities, many can't even afford the plane ticket.
Sorry ...disagree most wholeheartedly on this one as the demographic we're talking about without saying the name is certainly NOT interested in any way shape or form in being "contributors".

Had experience with them dating back to the early 60's and all they are concerned about is spending their days with no thought to the future whatsoever and certainly no regard for gaining the respect of the rest of Canada other than demanding it by default of their heritage. Their entire existence is predicated upon lurching from one crisis to the next with the expectation that when it gets really bad, some more cash will come flying in.

When multi generations are brought up believing they are "owed", why would you think they would shive-a-git what "white eyes" expect of them?

The worst thing "we" did was make of them a dependent society by eluding them to believe we owed them their entire sustenance and they were subservient to us for their welfare.

We ruined them. There is no going back and undoing a century of harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 01:45 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sorry ...disagree most wholeheartedly on this one as the demographic we're talking about without saying the name is certainly NOT interested in any way shape or form in being "contributors".

Had experience with them dating back to the early 60's and all they are concerned about is spending their days with no thought to the future whatsoever and certainly no regard for gaining the respect of the rest of Canada other than demanding it by default of their heritage. Their entire existence is predicated upon lurching from one crisis to the next with the expectation that when it gets really bad, some more cash will come flying in.

When multi generations are brought up believing they are "owed", why would you think they would shive-a-git what "white eyes" expect of them?

The worst thing "we" did was make of them a dependent society by eluding them to believe we owed them their entire sustenance and they were subservient to us for their welfare.

We ruined them. There is no going back and undoing a century of harm.
I agree that colonialism has taken its toll and it will take a very long time to heal but hopefully we can move in the right direction going forward.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:51 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Fair enough but if there is only 118,000 people living in the north, is it realistically going to cost billions to give them a standard of living that is not third-world like? That is only like 0.3% of the whole population of Canada. People should have a right to proper shelter, affordable food and clothing no matter where they live. These are the necessities of life. I am not talking about giving them huge luxuries only that the northerners don't live in squalor.
Population of Nunavut is under 35,000. I wouldn't include most of the NT or Yukon, as they have roads and infrastructure in place to get easier access.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nunavut

2011 31,906

I guarantee the retailers servicing those communities are not making big money. They are selling everything as affordably as possible once costs are considered. It is not my or anyone's duty to subsidize a lifestyle. They already get significant tax concessions to help with affordability. Define squalor? People aren't entitled to a taxpayer supplied home.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:10 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Who says northerners don't want to contribute to society? I am sure many do but they lack the means or opportunities. Even if they wanted to leave and go south for more opportunities, many can't even afford the plane ticket.
then I am all for buying them a ticket. It is much cheaper than to support their destructive lifestyle generations after generations.

As someone mentioned, there are only 32000 people in Nunavut. Doesn't cost that much to fly them all at all. So much better than all the massive subsidies to provide this and that in the middle of nowherem year after year, and the media still keeps criticising the government for neglecting them.

I may sound heartless, but those people are hopeless living in those miserable places. The region won't become self sufficient even in 50 years. It is better to bite the bullet and give their offspring a chance. Just fly them all to Vancouver already.

Honestly I don't even know how people survive in Thunder day. LOL.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:24 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default Agree.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
then I am all for buying them a ticket. It is much cheaper than to support their destructive lifestyle generations after generations.

As someone mentioned, there are only 32000 people in Nunavut. Doesn't cost that much to fly them all at all. So much better than all the massive subsidies to provide this and that in the middle of nowherem year after year, and the media still keeps criticising the government for neglecting them.

I may sound heartless, but those people are hopeless living in those miserable places. The region won't become self sufficient even in 50 years. It is better to bite the bullet and give their offspring a chance. Just fly them all to Vancouver already.

Honestly I don't even know how people survive in Thunder Bay. LOL.
Agree. If people want to stay out in the middle of no where they can, but then why complain about it when they could always try to relocate? People do it all over the world every day.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:44 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Honestly I don't even know how people survive in Thunder day. LOL.
OK so you want to evacuate the north and leave it empty. Got it.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want to see the north evacuated. That's too drastic. It's important for there to be people there to monitor and watch over it. The thing is, everyone and every living thing who lives in the far north regions now is going to be forced to make changes and adaptations quite soon anyway, and that includes all the long term non-native immigrant residents in the north too. The climate is changing in the arctic regions faster and more dramatically than any other regions in the world. It's already effected the arctic environment in ways that are forcing the indigenous folks and wildlife to change many of their traditional and modern lifestyles and survival patterns. And they have no choice in the matter. You can't argue with mother nature. The coming of further environmental changes is going to open up all kinds of new possibilities and demands for all the inhabitants of the arctic.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Having 32000 people without basic infrastructure on a massive land is not so different from being empty anyway.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
It is nice to be idealistic and to imagine that everyone in the far north has the same 'freedom' you might have in the south - and therefore the same solutions will apply - but in many cases I just don't think those of you who are proposing what I am sure seem like logical solutions to you have a real clue here about some of the conditions many natives are living under in the very far eastern Arctic for instance.

<respectfully snipped for space>

This is not just about the cost of cheese in Gjoa Haven. There are no simple or one size fits all solutions! I am no bleeding heart - I expect people to pave their own way and to make their own futures - but I am pretty appalled that you (presumably southerners all) can't even imagine a life that might be any different from your own and that might need different solutions to help the people survive and prosper .. in their own way. Is this what the schools are teaching you these days?
It seems that you have focused on aboriginal people, whereas I have not. Race doesn't matter to me. Race is not an excuse for anything. If people want to live in the middle of no where, they should be prepared for all aspects of that lifestyle. If they can't cope, they should make different choices. It is no one else's fault or responsibility if they can't manage.

Fort McMurray is an example of a city the thrives in Northern Canada. How is this different from other areas where people want to live? What prevents people in other locations from building a thriving economy?

Old 01-06-2017, 11:13 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
I know that life is not fair but we should try to make it fairer for everyone. That is where you and I differ. You seem like the type of person who thinks everyone should be for themselves and if you are born into a bad situation then its your fault and too bad for you. Not everyone can help themselves and "pull themselves up by the bootstraps" as there are a lot of factors at play. You can have your opinion and I will have mine.
It is not acceptable for adults to blame their parents for their choices, or to claim that they have suffered because of something experienced by a parent or other ancestor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada