Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 09:04 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times

Advertisements

Asking why upper Canada hasn't been developed is like asking why all parts of the Amazon hasn't been developed.

Canada doesn't have the population (or maybe I should say a population of people who would even want to live up there) or the money to develop it. We are already in huge debt and taxed to death. It is hard enough to govern what is already developed.

Man has screwed up so much of this natural world. Why would we want to go up there, build cities or factories, or filthy oil refineries, or fisheries making more of our fish stock dwindle, make more pollution, push what animals live up there to extinction because of encroachment on their land, and take our only pristine land away?

I think the person who wrote the article is an idiot who lives in a bubble, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 02:01 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
And that ^ about sums it up in a nutshell.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:06 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
And that ^ about sums it up in a nutshell.
Only the first half. The "screwing up nature" part is pure BS. If he loves nature that much, he should not be living in a city typing these words on a computer using modern technology.

also, Canadians are not "Taxed to death". Among developed countries, tax burden in Canada is average.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Only the first half. The "screwing up nature" part is pure BS. If he loves nature that much, he should not be living in a city typing these words on a computer using modern technology.

also, Canadians are not "Taxed to death". Among developed countries, tax burden in Canada is average.
First of all, I am a she, not a he, thanks.

Screwing up nature is BS? I love nature. Sure I live in a city surrounded by a LOT of natural areas. Should I be living in a TeePee rubbing sticks together to start a fire? Your comment is stretching it.

When we go camping, we try our best not to leave a footprint. When I see that fools have left garbage even in remote areas, it is sickening. We seem to have to pick up other people's garbage each trip into the bush.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:22 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Interesting thread, it's easy to see who has never lived in a northern area, particularly around native populations (no, Ft Mac does not count, a town comprised of high income white people and foreign service workers). A large proportion of these native populations deal with fundamental changes to behaviour from FAS (brain wiring off at birth). We're not just talking about suburban Edmonton alcoholic, but people who have sustained lifelong brain damage/alcohol addiction and social conditioning towards alcohol (along with other mental health issues). You've also got educated whites who move for the income supplement and access to professional jobs. It's very complicated and the reality is that a solution doesn't exist.

I recently attended a reconciliation seminar and the speaker said they hope to reverse this in 80 generations. It seems a realistic assessment. Throwing money at it isn't a solution. She said it will have to come from themselves as they heal from colonialism.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:33 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Interesting thread, it's easy to see who has never lived in a northern area, particularly around native populations (no, Ft Mac does not count, a town comprised of high income white people and foreign service workers). A large proportion of these native populations deal with fundamental changes to behaviour from FAS (brain wiring off at birth). We're not just talking about suburban Edmonton alcoholic, but people who have sustained lifelong brain damage/alcohol addiction and social conditioning towards alcohol (along with other mental health issues). You've also got educated whites who move for the income supplement and access to professional jobs. It's very complicated and the reality is that a solution doesn't exist.

I recently attended a reconciliation seminar and the speaker said they hope to reverse this in 80 generations. It seems a realistic assessment. Throwing money at it isn't a solution. She said it will have to come from themselves as they heal from colonialism.
I know this is not what the aboriginal community wants to hear, but it's time to stop blaming 'colonialism' and life experience that happened to previous generations in another century.

Change has to come from within, and it has to happen today, not in 80 generations. I'm first generation Canadian and I am my own person. I have retained some customs that I was raised with, but my children are completely Canadian retaining none of my parents customs. That's three generations to make a complete change, not 80. I do not blame my parents for teaching me their language first, and English second, even though it made me a weirdo around other children for a year while I learned English. Regardless of who my parents were, or how they suffered during WW2, I do not wear their scars. That's my choice, and it should be the choice of every new generation.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:29 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,952,336 times
What's happening in the aboriginal community that youth see gloom rather than opportunity. What is their parent's generation doing that so interferes with a normal, happy, healthy upbringing with what ever cultural practices they want?

Canadian education was rejected but money was accepted to develop education internally and within the aboriginal community. That education seems to be missing the 'wellness' concept.

It seems that today's aboriginal youth are well educated in how to make it clear that they are owed something because something bad happened in the last century to their ancestors. I really want to say 'newsflash!', but that would be inappropriate. Europeans suffered during WW1 and WW2, and during many wars prior to those two. They pick up, and move on. Other countries were colonized with agriculture, education, city planning, and economics. Indonesia, Cuba, and South Africa are a few examples. I would say that Cuba has been most successful in retaining a rich culture from diverse ethnicities. There is no lingering reflective blame, and societies are better for it. Indonesia and South Africa have struggled more with oppression. Canada does not oppress any one based on religion, ethnicity, or nationality.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I know this is not what the aboriginal community wants to hear, but it's time to stop blaming 'colonialism' and life experience that happened to previous generations in another century.

Change has to come from within, and it has to happen today, not in 80 generations. I'm first generation Canadian and I am my own person. I have retained some customs that I was raised with, but my children are completely Canadian retaining none of my parents customs. That's three generations to make a complete change, not 80. I do not blame my parents for teaching me their language first, and English second, even though it made me a weirdo around other children for a year while I learned English. Regardless of who my parents were, or how they suffered during WW2, I do not wear their scars. That's my choice, and it should be the choice of every new generation.
I am also a 1st generation Canadian (my mother came as a refugee) but our experience is completely different than the experience of what northern Aboriginals are more often born into. Completely different, almost polar opposites. We came from parents who worked hard at lower wages because of the light at the end of the tunnel. There is no light for many northern Aboriginals. Suicide rates are sky high, depression is the norm, food scarcity is real. I live in North myself.

"It needs to happen now". It won't. And that is something they themselves recognize. White Canadians cannot bandage this for them. They know that. But again, that's colonialism - telling them what's best for them instead of accepting a long-term healing process (standard in Aboriginal culture). It reminds me of methadone or a gastric bypass - just fix it! Now!

I work in a large organization with strong Aboriginal ties. I'm wondering how many here have sat down and just talked to an Aboriginal Canadian about this? Cared to hear their side? Ask them what they need? Or again, are you just telling them what's best? Aboriginal populations outside Canada aren't healing from this either. Or do you read articles and just assume what life is like for them?

Last edited by aliss2; 01-07-2017 at 08:02 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 12:42 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I am also a 1st generation Canadian (my mother came as a refugee) but our experience is completely different than the experience of what northern Aboriginals are more often born into. Completely different, almost polar opposites. We came from parents who worked hard at lower wages because of the light at the end of the tunnel. There is no light for many northern Aboriginals. Suicide rates are sky high, depression is the norm, food scarcity is real. I live in North myself.

"It needs to happen now". It won't. And that is something they themselves recognize. White Canadians cannot bandage this for them. They know that. But again, that's colonialism - telling them what's best for them instead of accepting a long-term healing process (standard in Aboriginal culture). It reminds me of methadone or a gastric bypass - just fix it! Now!

I work in a large organization with strong Aboriginal ties. I'm wondering how many here have sat down and just talked to an Aboriginal Canadian about this? Cared to hear their side? Ask them what they need? Or again, are you just telling them what's best? Aboriginal populations outside Canada aren't healing from this either. Or do you read articles and just assume what life is like for them?
I work with Aboriginal Canadians too and totally agree with this.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,973,958 times
Northern Canada is about 6 times as massive as Alaska
But Alaska has ~750k people compared to ~150k people in the three Canadian territories
Maybe there will be better uses if the US possess these territories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada