Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 04:17 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Northern Canada is about 6 times as massive as Alaska
But Alaska has ~750k people compared to ~150k people in the three Canadian territories
Maybe there will be better uses if the US possess these territories.
Believe it or not, Alaska has huge advantages climatically over Canada's north.

Generally North America's climate gets milder for any given latitude the farther west you are.

In eastern North America there are tundra climates at or near sea level as south as 53N

Areas of SE Alaska have milder winters than large areas of the the lower 48!

In other words, much more "liveable" than the extremely harsh climate of Canada's north.

Excluding Fairbanks, much of northern Alaska is sparsely populated, similar to Canada's north.

USA got one heck of a deal from Russia ....that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I am also a 1st generation Canadian (my mother came as a refugee) but our experience is completely different than the experience of what northern Aboriginals are more often born into. Completely different, almost polar opposites. We came from parents who worked hard at lower wages because of the light at the end of the tunnel. There is no light for many northern Aboriginals. Suicide rates are sky high, depression is the norm, food scarcity is real. I live in North myself.

"It needs to happen now". It won't. And that is something they themselves recognize. White Canadians cannot bandage this for them. They know that. But again, that's colonialism - telling them what's best for them instead of accepting a long-term healing process (standard in Aboriginal culture). It reminds me of methadone or a gastric bypass - just fix it! Now!

I work in a large organization with strong Aboriginal ties. I'm wondering how many here have sat down and just talked to an Aboriginal Canadian about this? Cared to hear their side? Ask them what they need? Or again, are you just telling them what's best? Aboriginal populations outside Canada aren't healing from this either. Or do you read articles and just assume what life is like for them?
These are excellent points.

It's awfully simplistic to say "we've stopped discriminating and oppressing, so everything is now perfectly fine!"

Old 01-08-2017, 05:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Just saw this analysis on CBC. With Russia's relatively recent aggression and Trump's new cozy relationship with Putin, maybe we should start caring about our northern sovereignty and put some money where our mouth is before the Russians get any ideas.

How Russian advances in the Arctic are leaving NATO behind - North - CBC News

Old 01-08-2017, 06:21 PM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Just saw this analysis on CBC. With Russia's relatively recent aggression and Trump's new cozy relationship with Putin, maybe we should start caring about our northern sovereignty and put some money where our mouth is before the Russians get any ideas.

Russia has enough of its own Arctic and will not go after Canada, so don't worry. Russians like to go for vacations in warmer places

Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Russia has enough of its own Arctic and will not go after Canada, so don't worry. Russians like to go for vacations in warmer places
Let's hope you are right

Old 01-08-2017, 08:01 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post

It's a transportation route that both the US and Russia have their eye on. One important thing that Harper did was stake Canada'a claim on Canada's land and waterways.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
It's a transportation route that both the US and Russia have their eye on. One important thing that Harper did was stake Canada'a claim on Canada's land and waterways.
Yup, and with climate change that route will become more important.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
I would not at all say Canadians "don't care" about our North. At the same time that doesn't mean t's appealing. Extremely cold, no sun for half the year, expensive, no work opportunities, high crime, and a culture that most Canadians don't understand nor even want to.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I would not at all say Canadians "don't care" about our North. At the same time that doesn't mean t's appealing. Extremely cold, no sun for half the year, expensive, no work opportunities, high crime, and a culture that most Canadians don't understand nor even want to.
There is no economic reason at the moment which makes sense to want to encourage a large population in the environmentally sensitive Canadian north. How many people live in the far north of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Russia? Very few relative to their populations I'd imagine. Alaska has a very low population even for its standards outside of the southern coastal areas as well.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
What I'm going to say is probably off topic, but yet I have a question : people here are saying that life in the Canadian Arctic and Subarctic regions is unsustainable and has to be heavily subsidized. Then why are NASA and others talking of "colonizing" Mars or other Planets? Life is more unsustainable there than in the Arctic for there is not even a breathable atmosphere! so why are billions of $ throwed at suchh endeavours? isn't it a terrible waste of resources?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada