U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
One year from today is next year.

I figure it will take a year. Purely a guess, some give him 6 months. Already some Trump supporters are regretting their choice.

Also, for us, it's easy to sit by the sidelines hoping it won't affect us too much. ( wishful thinking ) My concerns are no where near the concerns the majority of people in the US have, who are VERY concerned since it affects them directly.
If you talk about the arrogant media people, the intolerant liberals, hypocritical Meryle Streep and her Hollywood, and greedy corporations who reduce cost at any cost, yes, they should be worried. American people will be just fine.

And it will have close to zero impact on Canada. America will always be our loving papa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:33 AM

12,670 posts, read 8,737,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you talk about the arrogant media people, the intolerant liberals, hypocritical Meryle Streep and her Hollywood, and greedy corporations who reduce cost at any cost, yes, they should be worried. American people will be just fine.

And it will have close to zero impact on Canada. America will always be our loving papa
Well since you " love " me, I won't be too harsh

You're delusional.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 PM

106 posts, read 69,441 times
Whatever they do I hope the ability for a USA citizen to try to find a job in Canada without a business having to prove that they can't fill the job with a Canadian citizen first stays in place. In Canada that law does exist but USA citizens are exempt from it because of NAFTA. Really the only good thing about I think as the USA has really gotten screwed over on the Mexican side of the deal.

I'd love to see NAFTA exist between the USA, Canada, and a EU-free United Kingdom with Mexico kicked out of it.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

3,897 posts, read 2,723,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I'd love to see NAFTA exist between the USA, Canada, and a EU-free United Kingdom with Mexico kicked out of it.
I'd like to see more solid evidence/statistics and analysis rather that rhetoric before I was convinced that Canada and the U.S. would be better off without Mexico in NAFTA.

For example:

Quote:
"Without NAFTA, large segments of the U.S. automotive industry would have moved to other low-wage countries in Asia, Eastern Europe, or South America," CAR said.
Quote:
According to the most recent data, more than 40% of the components in the average car manufactured in Mexico last year came from the U.S. For so-called Canadian-made cars, the ratio is about 25%
Quote:
"For example, overall U.S.-Mexico trade data show that, on average, a 10% increase in employment at a Mexican affiliate operation leads to a 1.3% increase in U.S. employment, a 1.7% increase in U.S. exports, and a 4.1% increase in U.S. R&D spending."

Since the U.S. economy is so much larger than Mexico's, those small percentages add up to large numbers of real jobs. If a large company with more than 40,000 employees in the U.S. were to expand its small, 5,000-person plant in Mexico by 10%, that would make the Mexican plant expand to 5,500 people.

But the knock-on effect of that ratio means that company would likely also add 500 new jobs in the U.S., too.
NAFTA's demise would cost U.S. auto industry 30,000 jobs, think-tank says - Business - CBC News

Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM

242 posts, read 163,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

The US is Canada's biggest trading partner and the two countries are very closely tied. A Trump presidency could very well have a significant impact here

Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
US / Canada situation is a lot different than US / Mexico. Mexico has a tremendous COL advantage with the USA, Canada does not. There has never been many jobs leaving the USA for Canada. USA looses few jobs and gets lots of energy.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 AM

5,687 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Trump will turn on Canada, warns former Mexican congressman - Politics - CBC News

The trouble with renegotiating NAFTA while Trump is President is that facts don't matter to him. I think it would be better to see how we can align ourselves with Mexico and then we wait for Trump to finish shooting himself in the foot one too many times. Then negotiate whatever there is to negotiate with Pence.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:05 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
In the news today is 600 jobs leaving for Mexico,
as GM lays off at plant near Ingersoll, Ontario.

Could be tip of the iceberg, I hope not.

Trump....great for keeping American jobs ....no so good for Canada

Old 01-27-2017, 04:42 PM

2,992 posts, read 3,743,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
In the news today is 600 jobs leaving for Mexico,
as GM lays off at plant near Ingersoll, Ontario.

Could be tip of the iceberg, I hope not.

Trump....great for keeping American jobs ....no so good for Canada
It is not Trump's responsibility to be concerned about Canadian jobs, that is Trudeau's responsibility.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
It is not Trump's responsibility to be concerned about Canadian jobs, that is Trudeau's responsibility.
You're correct....Trudeau's responsibility....and that's the problem, let's just say, he's no Trump,
we need a leader that'll put Canada first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada