Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times

Advertisements

I don't mind tipping at all. I used to work in the food industry and those tips were a big help. I know the struggles restaurant workers go through, lol. My little sister is currently in University and has a part time waitress job, those tips are really helping her out also. If the service is good and food is good I don't see a reason for not tipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
It should be the employer's responsibility to ensure that employees are paid a decent wage. The customer should not be expected to cover what the employer should.

Tipping should be an independent choice, rather than a choice primarily influenced by cultural pressure.
I agree with this but generally if the food is good and the service is good I have no qualms tipping. That said, we don't eat out a whole lot and generally cook food so when we do go out its all part of the experience.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't mind tipping at all. I used to work in the food industry and those tips were a big help. I know the struggles restaurant workers go through, lol. My little sister is currently in University and has a part time waitress job, those tips are really helping her out also. If the service is good and food is good I don't see a reason for not tipping.
Likewise, I worked for tips too. Tips teach us the reward of working harder and better at a relatively young age.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Likewise, I worked for tips too. Tips teach us the reward of working harder and better at a relatively young age.
Exactly - and tips are shared with the kitchen staff, many of whom are paid minimum wage.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:09 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I can understand some of the logic but at this point it's such a common part of the culture that you're expected and even pressured to give a minimum of 15% even if the service is crappy. It's seen as a part of their salary that they are entitled to regardless of whether they are good or not.

I've witnessed servers who deserved a kick in the butt more than a tip confront people for not giving at least 15%, or chase people leaving the restaurant for not tipping the requisite 15%.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
If we're really honest we'll also acknowledge that tipping is very much about tax evasion.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:12 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Seems like people want a tip for everything in the USA. It is not just waiters . Tipping is out of control and much of it is glorified begging I waited on people my entire working life. I'm glad there was no tipping involved. I think employers should pay a proper wage, and not expect the customer to be making up the difference . Seemed to me on trips to Canada, that the tip was figured into the bill. Maybe not.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:58 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can understand some of the logic but at this point it's such a common part of the culture that you're expected and even pressured to give a minimum of 15% even if the service is crappy. It's seen as a part of their salary that they are entitled to regardless of whether they are good or not.

I've witnessed servers who deserved a kick in the butt more than a tip confront people for not giving at least 15%, or chase people leaving the restaurant for not tipping the requisite 15%.
There's no obligation to tip 15% for bad service or bad food. That's the nice thing about tips rather than an included gratuity - the customer decides whether the tip is warranted and how much to tip.

There's always a tip - everywhere, with the only difference being whether the tip is included or voluntary. In Canada, it's voluntary.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:26 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Doing away with the tip system would breed mediocrity in service oriented jobs that depend on tips. If all servers are making the same money give or take a buck, what's the incentive to work any harder than the lowest common denominator?

Interesting that many of the people opposed to tips or who do not like to tip are the same people who think that other people should be paying the freight for the less fortunate. They won't even drop some change in the jar for some poor guy who pours coffee for a living, yet I'm a cold-hearted and evil capitalist. Very telling.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, I'm old and set in my ways. I always have and still do believe in showing my appreciation for good personal service rendered to me. Most of the world has moved beyond showing appreciation. Just because the rest of the world is going that way doesn't mean I have to be like that too. We reap what we sow.

well, nobody says it is wrong for you to show our appreciation. I think that's nice.

However, tipping in Canada is hardly "optional". It is expected and almost required. Not tipping is frowned up, called "cheap" and somehow (according to some) entitles servers to do tricks in your food. That's what's wrong with it.

I am sure if you tip a French or Japanese waiter 15%, which is unexpected, he will not be angry at you. But to impose this unreasonable practice on everyone, that's just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada