U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 05:43 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Doing away with the tip system would breed mediocrity in service oriented jobs that depend on tips. If all servers are making the same money give or take a buck, what's the incentive to work any harder than the lowest common denominator?

Interesting that many of the people opposed to tips or who do not like to tip are the same people who think that other people should be paying the freight for the less fortunate. They won't even drop some change in the jar for some poor guy who pours coffee for a living, yet I'm a cold-hearted and evil capitalist. Very telling.
not at all.

Very few countries in the world have this hard tip system. So are they all mediocre when it comes to service? Hardly.

And yes, I hate those jars demanding tip even for jobs that don't normally have tips (starbucks etc). If wage is a concern, law should be changed to raise minimum wage. I don't know why restaurants servers are allowed to be paid $3 an hour. that's just criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Exactly - and tips are shared with the kitchen staff, many of whom are paid minimum wage.
in that case, you should tip your bank cashier or shop assistant at the stores too, since they are paid minimum wage as well.

If you buy a $100 coat, do you tip the girl $15 who brought you all the clothes for trying on? She makes minimum wage in most cases.

Tipping is stupid, and is not applied consistently for this "minimum wage" argument.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM

1,147 posts, read 470,565 times
Quote:
Doing away with the tip system would breed mediocrity in service oriented jobs that depend on tips. If all servers are making the same money give or take a buck, what's the incentive to work any harder than the lowest common denominator?
Employers should reward high achievers with a raise, just like in the corporate world.

There is nothing wrong with tipping as an individual choice, but tipping culture (i.e. where everyone in the society feels pressured to tip) is problematic. It removes the responsibility of employers to pay their employees decently.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:12 AM

2,567 posts, read 1,334,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not at all.

Very few countries in the world have this hard tip system. So are they all mediocre when it comes to service? Hardly.

And yes, I hate those jars demanding tip even for jobs that don't normally have tips (starbucks etc). If wage is a concern, law should be changed to raise minimum wage. I don't know why restaurants servers are allowed to be paid $3 an hour. that's just criminal.
More countries do than don't. Many have a "service charge" added to the bill. That is government mandated tipping and leaves the consumer without the option to show his displeasure with poor service. How is a government mandated tip better than a free market tip?

Old 01-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Then you must hate France. Tips " Service Compris " is added in most cafes and restaurants. You also tip washroom attendants ( notice the little tip dish? )
You tip Taxi, hotel maids, porters at trains stations and airports etc.

In Italy it's even worse. In Restaurants not only will you see the tip added, but added charges for service, meaning the use of cutlery and plates.

Just like your ignorant rant about supermarkets, of which you were TOTALLY incorrect about their origins, you are also incorrect in stating that tipping is a North American thing, and Canadians are just copying.

Here a litte ETIQUETTE link for you. I'm just concerned that next time, a waiter might recognize you and spit in your food.

Etiquette 101: Your Guide to Tipping Around the World - Condé Nast Traveler
I tip when it makes sense. Don't worry about it. And I have never have the luck to see a washroom attendant.

I don't mind "service charges" in the bill at all, for several reasons

1) It is included in the price that I see.
2) It doesn't let the restaurant owner off the hook for paying decent salary.
3) the amount of tip can often depend on factors other than service - pretty waitresses earn more tips. Also customers may tip less due to factors beyond servers control, for example, slow kitchen, bad food, noisy environment.
4) I don't want waiters smile or have chit chat with me because she expects more money at the end.

It is not about my unwillingness to pay people for their service, but rather the tipping culture and practice itself is ill designed and doesn't serve its purpose.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Employers should reward high achievers with a raise, just like in the corporate world.

There is nothing wrong with tipping as an individual choice, but tipping culture (i.e. where everyone in the society feels pressured to tip) is problematic. It removes the responsibility of employers to pay their employees decently.
Good servers make more money with the tipping system than under any wage based system. A quality server in a high end restaurant can pull down $500 and more on a decent weekend night. They can easily make $50,000+ per year and some make over $100K. In Italy, where servers are paid a salary, a really good one makes about 1500 - 2000 euro per month. Ask that guy if he'd rather work in a tip based culture.

Tipping allows somebody to control their income based on their effort and production rather to be at the whims of the employer. It's kind of like working for commission vs salary.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Is it ok if I say "tax evasion" again?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:36 AM

5,950 posts, read 7,318,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I do not tip if I do not get service. Those jars are just like pan handling to me. You do nothing ... you get nothing. A while back I was at a restaurant in Toronto with a freind. You actually had to get up to and go to the counter to order your food and then you had to pick it up at the counter when it was done. On top of that you had to go to the counter to get and pay the bill. When it came to pay there was a prompt of the machine suggesting I should tip. In that case I did not tip as I had no reason to tip.... I did not get any service. I reality in until I pay off my mortgage I DONT technically have any spare change ! Maybe I should have a cup with a note on my desk asking for tips lol .
I agree completely. You're just doing what you're supposed to be doing and not giving me any exceptional service, why should I give you a tip? I didn't get tips for doing that as a cashier at a store.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is it ok if I say "tax evasion" again?
In most restaurants, the employer is required to report each server's tips and withhold payroll taxes accordingly. Most POS software will keep a record of all tips and they get reported monthly to the IRS. Perhaps back in the old days it was easy to avoid taxes, but today it's a lot tougher. A server might pocket a couple of bucks here and there, but the days of full blown tax evasion are pretty much done.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
More countries do than don't. Many have a "service charge" added to the bill. That is government mandated tipping and leaves the consumer without the option to show his displeasure with poor service. How is a government mandated tip better than a free market tip?
No they are not the same. the serves don't get the service charges on the bill. At the end of the day, the owner will not carve out that 15% and pay it to the waiters. Waiters get their fixed salary irrespective of whether business is great or slow. T Tipping, as you know, is quite the opposite. if there is no customer today, you have no tip because the employer is only responsible to pay for $3 an hour or whatever. To say it is a government mandated tip is missing the point, because income of waiters don't depend on how good or bad business is, or how generous customers are.

How can they be the same? in your "free market", servers take most of the income risk (from the economy, whether the food is good or not, customer generous or not), while in the "mandated" system, it is the business owner who takes the risk (obligated to pay a decent salary irrespective of factors mentioned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or