U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 03:09 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The only time that I don't tip the driver is when they set the price without using the meter, which really steams me, or when in Japan where it is considered rude. Taxi drivers are not getting rich at their craft.
if they don't use the meter they don't get my business. Or I might report him.

Whether the taxi drivers get rich or not is their business and not mine. I don't pay tips when it makes no sense. Whether he has 5 kids to feed bears no relevance to the reasonable price I pay. I have no business in making him rich whatsoever. They earn what they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:22 PM

873 posts, read 813,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I tip because it is common practice here. I am not a fan of the tipping culture in Canada at all. I think if someone goes above and beyond that is one thing.... but getting a tip just for doing what you are paid for (even when you are not that good at it) is comical. The bottom line is 99% of the time I am eating out I am hungry ... I dont want to talk to anyone and make BS converstaions or get some sales pitches about what is on the menu as I can read for myself. I would actually be totally okay with just typing in what I want ... then walking up to the counter and getting it myself. This is one of the many stupid things we do.
If I get horrible service, I purposely tip a small amount so they get the message. If you don't tip at all they may assume you just forgot and continue giving bad service.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,761,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I always tip at full service restaurants but I get a kick out of the tip jars I see at coffee shops and fast food places. You aren't a tipped employee so why should everyone give you one?
I see how happy the coffee maker at my local coffee cart gets when I drop a dollar in his tipping jar. He feels appreciated and it seems to make his day. I leave feeling happy too.

I have a well paying job with health insurance, raises, etc. It doesn't hurt me to give a dollar or 50 cents here or there once in a while.

I used to have the above mentality but I realized giving brings more positive things to my life and if I can make someone's day, even better

Old 01-15-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Well, the waitor forgot something too, good service to deserve what they want.

I almost never tip taxi drivers because I don't see the logic. It is completey different from the restaurant setting where service is in addition to the food. Unless I needed to driver to lift very heavy bags I can't handle myself (that never happens - just putting my 10 pounds carry on bag in the trunk doesn't bring $2 tip, sorry), or he helped me in ways that exceed normal driving service.
Taxi drivers have learned to navigate cities and their respective areas and attempt to get you to your location promptly, that is why you tip them.

Servers run back and forth serving you drinks, getting you condiments, getting another order in for you, etc...that's why you tip them.

Plus, they have to deal with people's crabby attitudes all the time. That in itself deserves a tip.

I don't mind tipping, it's not going to break my bank doing so. I'm a very frugal person too.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't mind tipping at all. I used to work in the food industry and those tips were a big help. I know the struggles restaurant workers go through, lol. My little sister is currently in University and has a part time waitress job, those tips are really helping her out also. If the service is good and food is good I don't see a reason for not tipping.
I agree 100%, as long as they are offering a good service, I will tip.

When I was in graduate school I worked at Starbucks for like 6 months, serving people is harder than many realize. Tips were very helpful, even if it was only 5$ for a night.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
What's wrong with dropping your spare change in the jar for some people who aren't making much more than minimum wage? If everybody did it, their lives might just be a touch better and it costs very little to the giver.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or