Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 03:14 AM

134 posts, read 190,620 times

Advertisements

As an Aussie, I have a friend who is Canadian, I got the impression that Canadians were alot like Aussie, I heard they have Universal health care, have unemployment benefits and a minimum wage like Aussies did, so why do they tip on top of their minimum wage, Aussies get a "high" minimum wage ($17 Aussie) by world standards but people don't recognise (which is why i did inverted commas around the high word) is that the cost of living is higher too, but why tip, whats the reason behind tipping if one gets a living wage? what are the reasons, just customary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,660,251 times
because Canada does pretty much everything Americans do, even the pounds and feet don't die entirely.

For those proud Canadians who don't agree with my explanation: imagine the US gets rid of the tipping practice this year, what are the chances Canada will stick to it next year? Very slim.

I deeply hate the tipping culture. And there is no evidence that it produces better service either. It is just stupid and illogical. A waitor who brings you a $50 steak deserves 10 times the compensation than a waitor who brings a $5 salad, making any sense?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,099,295 times
I dont tip to enhance a service workers salary i tip to reward exceptional service.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,037,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because Canada does pretty much everything Americans do, even the pounds and feet don't die entirely.

For those proud Canadians who don't agree with my explanation: imagine the US gets rid of the tipping practice this year, what are the chances Canada will stick to it next year? Very slim.

I deeply hate the tipping culture. And there is no evidence that it produces better service either. It is just stupid and illogical. A waitor who brings you a $50 steak deserves 10 times the compensation than a waitor who brings a $5 salad, making any sense?
Waiters in the US make $2.01 an hour and are supposed to be incentivized to provide excellent service, which they generally do. Waiters in Canada makes less than standard minimum wage as well, but not to the same extent as the US. In the big Canadian cities that I have visited, service was comparable to the US. In the Maritimes, the service was often very slow and inattentive. I tipped less there when the service was lackluster. Actually, I do the same everywhere, but that is uncommon.

Higher end restaurants are supposed to have superior service with highly experienced servers, so logically in order attract the best, they have to be able to earn more.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,116,509 times
Tipping is just part of the culture in North America. A decently sized seafood chain in the US tried to do away with tipping about a year ago and patrons loved it, including me, but many waiters hated it as they were making less than they were before (they were getting paid $12.50 an hour I believe under the no tipping policy). I hate the tipping culture as well. I tip above the basic 15% but I'd never go above 20% like some do.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,911,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
As an Aussie, I have a friend who is Canadian, I got the impression that Canadians were alot like Aussie, I heard they have Universal health care, have unemployment benefits and a minimum wage like Aussies did, so why do they tip on top of their minimum wage, Aussies get a "high" minimum wage ($17 Aussie) by world standards but people don't recognise (which is why i did inverted commas around the high word) is that the cost of living is higher too, but why tip, whats the reason behind tipping if one gets a living wage? what are the reasons, just customary?
Gratuity is not included in the bill, and we both love the service and want to support people who are working their way up ... so we tip.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

26,786 posts, read 37,782,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Sorry to my fellow Canadians but I agree with this!

I hate the tipping culture. It's totally unncessary as most of the world does without it.

I also hate not having "all-in" pricing in stores.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:42 AM

14,690 posts, read 14,832,500 times
Tipping is 600 years old and it did not originate in North America. The custom originated in England in the 1400's and started with the tipping of household servants and other public service people. The British brought the custom with them to other countries that they visited or colonized and the tipping culture evolved from then on to what it is today.

Here is the history of tipping (gratuities given) plus information about which cultures today do it and which do not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratuity

I'll tip anyone who provides me with caring, personal service. The better and more considerate and caring the personal service, the higher the tip. It could be a waiter, the chef, my hairdresser, my accountant, the lady that works at the laundromat or the boy who carefully bags my groceries and helps me out to the parking lot with them and loads them into the car. I don't care who it is.

If I get careless or impersonal service they don't get a tip.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-11-2017 at 10:59 AM..

Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,688,167 times
I tip because it is common practice here. I am not a fan of the tipping culture in Canada at all. I think if someone goes above and beyond that is one thing.... but getting a tip just for doing what you are paid for (even when you are not that good at it) is comical. The bottom line is 99% of the time I am eating out I am hungry ... I dont want to talk to anyone and make BS converstaions or get some sales pitches about what is on the menu as I can read for myself. I would actually be totally okay with just typing in what I want ... then walking up to the counter and getting it myself. This is one of the many stupid things we do.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,037,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I tip because it is common practice here. I am not a fan of the tipping culture in Canada at all. I think if someone goes above and beyond that is one thing.... but getting a tip just for doing what you are paid for (even when you are not that good at it) is comical. The bottom line is 99% of the time I am eating out I am hungry ... I dont want to talk to anyone and make BS converstaions or get some sales pitches about what is on the menu as I can read for myself. I would actually be totally okay with just typing in what I want ... then walking up to the counter and getting it myself. This is one of the many stupid things we do.
Job killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada