Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you act as if the servers have to right to mess up with the food, as if when the customers are not nice or generous, they deserve to be "punished".

life is full of unpleasant experiences and unpleasant people, and it is unethical to do that just because you can without being caught. A rude customer is only being an unpleasant person, but a server who spits in customer's food, that is unprofessional and unethical. He is not winning my sympathy.

and with such behavior, I doubt these servers will go much further than being a server in their lives because they are so petty in their small world, with the little pathetic "power" they think they possess.
Sometimes you have to report that the food isn't up to par. I was served an undercooked Chicken tagine in Morocco recently. I'm sure as hell not going to eat it so I politely told the Waiter that it wasn't properly cooked and that I can't eat it. He agreed, smiled and apologized and 15 minutes later I was served the best Chicken Tagine I had in Morocco. Did the cook spit in it - well I don't know I hope not but what can you do. I can't control everything but i'm certainly glad I didn't eat the undercooked tagine - it might have become the gift that kept on giving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:56 PM

393 posts, read 304,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It's very rare for me to single out an employee like a server for poor service. I think that usually in a business if there is a problem, it is a problem with management, maybe even from a head office far removed from the individual who tends to get the blame when things go wrong.
I 100% TOTALLY DISAGREE, because a bad manager isn't always mean a bad server. I have had some good servers with the SAME BAD manager at our local Applebee's. The problem is, the server I was always asking for is no longer there, so now-a-days if I go, service is just horrible.

The managers aren't the problem if the employee has a GOOD WORK ETHIC and if the employee themselves eats out a lot. You won't know how to serve if you have no idea what it's like to be in the customer's seat. I know through my personal experiences, because when I worked at a donut shop/diner back in 1998 I started, my mom always cooked, so we rarely at out a lot and even with boyfriends, they didn't have much money to take me out at that age, so I had no idea what it was like to be a customer(just at McDonald's, but even then, it wasn't my money paying). So one day, I really did this, I made a man keep a raw donut, like for real, I did. Do you think I'd do that today? OF COURSE NOT! I am 39yrs old, I was 21yrs old(stated at 20yrs old technically) at the time as it was my first job(yes I got a job very late since my parents wanted me to concentrate on college).

So my point is, if the employee has some experience being a customer, you won't need as much training. Think about it... I have been to restaurants and the servers don't bring appetizer plates in a party of 4 that we had to ask or even with me and my husband had to ask for that. That should be common sense to a person that eats out, but to a person that doesn't, stuff like that needs to be trained and that's where I blame management for that, but at the same time, I still lower the tip if they do things like that wrong simply because it should be a little of common sense to a degree(Obviously I didn't have any back in my donut shop job days when I first started), but I still think that being a hard worker comes from the PERSON they are. Even if I did that with the raw donut, I honestly got a raise within a month and a half of starting the job, 35 cents from min. wage. $5.15 to $5.50/hr and we did make tips, just not nearly as much as a waitress of course.

So I don't fully agree that the management is fully responsible because sometimes you can get a worker that is good even if the managers suck.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM

7,236 posts, read 9,209,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I 100% TOTALLY DISAGREE, because a bad manager isn't always mean a bad server. I have had some good servers with the SAME BAD manager at our local Applebee's. The problem is, the server I was always asking for is no longer there, so now-a-days if I go, service is just horrible.

The managers aren't the problem if the employee has a GOOD WORK ETHIC and if the employee themselves eats out a lot. You won't know how to serve if you have no idea what it's like to be in the customer's seat. I know through my personal experiences, because when I worked at a donut shop/diner back in 1998 I started, my mom always cooked, so we rarely at out a lot and even with boyfriends, they didn't have much money to take me out at that age, so I had no idea what it was like to be a customer(just at McDonald's, but even then, it wasn't my money paying). So one day, I really did this, I made a man keep a raw donut, like for real, I did. Do you think I'd do that today? OF COURSE NOT! I am 39yrs old, I was 21yrs old(stated at 20yrs old technically) at the time as it was my first job(yes I got a job very late since my parents wanted me to concentrate on college).

So my point is, if the employee has some experience being a customer, you won't need as much training. Think about it... I have been to restaurants and the servers don't bring appetizer plates in a party of 4 that we had to ask or even with me and my husband had to ask for that. That should be common sense to a person that eats out, but to a person that doesn't, stuff like that needs to be trained and that's where I blame management for that, but at the same time, I still lower the tip if they do things like that wrong simply because it should be a little of common sense to a degree(Obviously I didn't have any back in my donut shop job days when I first started), but I still think that being a hard worker comes from the PERSON they are. Even if I did that with the raw donut, I honestly got a raise within a month and a half of starting the job, 35 cents from min. wage. $5.15 to $5.50/hr and we did make tips, just not nearly as much as a waitress of course.

So I don't fully agree that the management is fully responsible because sometimes you can get a worker that is good even if the managers suck.
Key word = USUALLY. Just as you state '"sometimes" you can get a worker that is good even if the managers suck.'

So what are you disagreeing with?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Key word = USUALLY. Just as you state '"sometimes" you can get a worker that is good even if the managers suck.'

So what are you disagreeing with?

Quote:
It's very rare for me to single out an employee like a server for poor service.
I don't agree with your logic in most cases, in fact, nearly all.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with your logic in most cases, in fact, nearly all.
Well, you can't be disagreeing with the fact that *I* rarely single out an employee for poor service since that's just a fact. Do you mean to say you disagree with my statement that "usually" management is to blame for poor service? You're certainly entitled to disagree with that, if that is the case.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,626,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh yeah? I've seen servers huff and puff because the tip wasn't sufficient according to them. I've seen them chase after clients and saying loudly "Sir, I think you've forgotten... something!"

I've also seen taxi drivers pull away aggressively and screech their tires when a tip wasn't what they thought they'd get.
Well, the waitor forgot something too, good service to deserve what they want.

I almost never tip taxi drivers because I don't see the logic. It is completey different from the restaurant setting where service is in addition to the food. Unless I needed to driver to lift very heavy bags I can't handle myself (that never happens - just putting my 10 pounds carry on bag in the trunk doesn't bring $2 tip, sorry), or he helped me in ways that exceed normal driving service.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Do you mean to say you disagree with my statement that "usually" management is to blame for poor service? You're certainly entitled to disagree with that, if that is the case.
How do you know this though? I mean I know from my personal experiences that the employee working is sometimes better than the manager is.

I don't see how you rarely have it if it's just not a true thing? Why did we have good service with that waitress at Applebee's, then once she left, it sucked and this same GM has been there for years(like probably since we got married in 2002 probably longer)? If we would have kept having her, our service wouldn't had been bad. I can't see her changing her ways honestly. Not to say it couldn't happen, but usually hard workers tend to stay that way I find.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:55 AM

2,632 posts, read 2,029,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Well, the waitor forgot something too, good service to deserve what they want.

I almost never tip taxi drivers because I don't see the logic. It is completey different from the restaurant setting where service is in addition to the food. Unless I needed to driver to lift very heavy bags I can't handle myself (that never happens - just putting my 10 pounds carry on bag in the trunk doesn't bring $2 tip, sorry), or he helped me in ways that exceed normal driving service.
The only time that I don't tip the driver is when they set the price without using the meter, which really steams me, or when in Japan where it is considered rude. Taxi drivers are not getting rich at their craft.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:22 AM

15,109 posts, read 15,711,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
The only time that I don't tip the driver is when they set the price without using the meter, which really steams me, or when in Japan where it is considered rude. Taxi drivers are not getting rich at their craft.
If they don't use the meter I get out and move on until I find one that does. As soon as they unilaterally go to set the price you know you're going to be hosed automatically. The only exception to this is if there are set fares to zones within a city. This is something that occurs in some airports where the fare is set depending on where you're going.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
How do you know this though? I mean I know from my personal experiences that the employee working is sometimes better than the manager is.

I don't see how you rarely have it if it's just not a true thing? Why did we have good service with that waitress at Applebee's, then once she left, it sucked and this same GM has been there for years(like probably since we got married in 2002 probably longer)? If we would have kept having her, our service wouldn't had been bad. I can't see her changing her ways honestly. Not to say it couldn't happen, but usually hard workers tend to stay that way I find.
The qualifier "usually" allows for an employee to "sometimes (the qualifier you used)" be better than the manager.

You know, I'm just not that passionate about this subject. Obviously we have had different experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada