U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 07:15 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,802,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Speaking of Trini I got a bottle of Angostura Rum Punch as a gift from a colleague at work. Have you had this before? Its got a bit of kick to it!
No I don't drink alcohol, but I think I have heard of it or have seen it. We have a bunch off different traditional holiday drinks made with rum in Trinidad. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic and a boy friend that use to get drunk a lot when I was a teenager so I actually get really uncomfortable around people when they are drinking so unless it is an ingredient in food I don't consume alcohol. Rum is a big deal in Trinidad. We had bottles and bottles of that stuff sitting around at home growing up. My parents don't drink, but they use to have a lot of guests/ parties and it is a social norm to offer guests rum or certain other types of alcohol usually consumed there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Latin Americans are very similar, they have nicknames for everyone and many are not PC. My aunt's nickname is 'gorda,'(fat), there's 'chino' for people who look Asian. My husband's nickname in Portuguese is something similar to 'blackie.' All his friends call him this. I had an uncle who called me 'negrita' when I was younger.
Oh good .... lol. Re 'gorda' (fat).... that had got to be my most cringe worthy comment. In Trinidad it is pretty common for Aunts or Older women to playfully make comments like "... hey girl ... you are looking good, but you looking like you are getting a little fat or your look like you are loosing some weight ". No hi ... how are you ... straight in with the digs... . I swear the older women in my family are evil lol. You get ripped/ critiqued about everything. I think being critical, mean or hurtful is a way the show rank ex keep you in line.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:28 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The history goes back farther than that, it goes back to the anti-Catholic movement in England. It was then brought to the Anericas. Anti-Catholic sentiments for example have always been present in US culture, it is a very anti-Catholic society.

Anything that is out of the WASP umbrella is unacceptable for KKK members.
Thank goodness I know this now. I was telling my husband if we even get lost in certain parts of the USA and we start seeing confederate flags ... if we people ask where he is from say Quebec for we get jumped( because he has an accident and does speak some French). Now I realize that might not make it any better .

The idea of someone hating me or me hating someone I never met just seems crazy. I don't get it... and I don't want to get it... but I guess it just something to be aware of when venturing outside of your regular roaming turf.

I use to date this Russian Jewish guy and this Isreali guy and in both cases when they found out my family is from Trinidad, but of significant Arab descent ... I sudden to them and their friends become " the Christian Arab Girl". It was totally odd to me how quickly I no longer become me ... and got shoved in to this classification. Also important to note neither of these guys were born in Canada and literally just moved to Canada less then 5 years from when I met them.

Last edited by klmrocks; 01-15-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 02:49 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,742,451 times
In the news today: Ku Klux Klan pamphlets distributed in east Abbotsford - British Columbia - CBC News

Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,176,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
No I don't drink alcohol, but I think I have heard of it or have seen it. We have a bunch off different traditional holiday drinks made with rum in Trinidad. I had an uncle who was an alcoholic and a boy friend that use to get drunk a lot when I was a teenager so I actually get really uncomfortable around people when they are drinking so unless it is an ingredient in food I don't consume alcohol. Rum is a big deal in Trinidad. We had bottles and bottles of that stuff sitting around at home growing up. My parents don't drink, but they use to have a lot of guests/ parties and it is a social norm to offer guests rum or certain other types of alcohol usually consumed there.
Oh I see.. I drink but i'm responsible about it and rarely get drunk.. I do like my nightcaps though. I do completely understand where you are coming from though. I just though of my trini rum punch when I read your post. Whenever I visit a country I almost always sample the local drink(s). Whenever I am gifted a bottle from a place I haven't sampled I enjoy it.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:41 PM

4,826 posts, read 4,462,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
So it begins...

Old 01-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh I see.. I drink but i'm responsible about it and rarely get drunk.. I do like my nightcaps though. I do completely understand where you are coming from though. I just though of my trini rum punch when I read your post. Whenever I visit a country I almost always sample the local drink(s). Whenever I am gifted a bottle from a place I haven't sampled I enjoy it.
Also ... Alcohol typically has 7 kcal per gram ... and fat has 9 kcal per gram ... not that I am really holding back on my intake as much as I should, but if I am going to inhale a boat of calories in a small volume ... I want dessert, chocolate or a chicken wing ... ex something I can chew lol!

Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
So it begins...
When had a recent increase of hate/ white power type posters being posted in certain pockets of the Toronto recently. It was on the news a few weeks ago. As quick as they were posted people were tearing them down.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:04 PM

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ewsletter.html

Old 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM

9,574 posts, read 9,453,978 times
The Kan Kon Klan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada