U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:39 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I'm sure tabs are being kept. They are entitled to their beliefs, no matter how revolting you or I make think they are.
Oh i'm certainly not advocating that their beliefs should be extinguished, its just scary they have them to begin with. They go against my core values but it is what it is and yes, they are free to have these beliefs. I just hope they don't become strong enough to promulgate to the point that they start to change the direction of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wow... what other crazy stuff is going on right under my nose ... scary.
One minute I got MS 13 blooming up just blocks way from where I live and now I am realizing I might be living in white supremist Turf in South Scarborough ... thank god I have fence !

Wow this guy who was shot dead lived at 2 North Dr... which is the upper beaches ( not my area ) ... but close enough. Really crazy. And they use to have meeting there too. Wow ... really messed up. I know from walking around certain certain streets in my area there seems to be some really old style grubby bars in around kingston road. I honestly thought most of them were fronts because so people could get tax breaks on the properties they owned because I am not sure how anyone could maintain a business with only a handful of drunks who were regular customers.

Ernst Zündel's use of live on Carleton St. and use to hold events at Latvian House and lot of members of these groups apparently like to hang out at Sneaky Dee's? Which is sort of ironic ... racists hanging out at a place that serves tex-mex food?

I think I need to start actually meeting my neighbours ... to figure out the heck I am living around before wake up to a burning cross on my lawn .... ( okay that is over the top melodrama..., but I am seriously pretty shocked about this ).
It is an odd dichotomy that in one of the worlds most multicultural cities you have this stuff going on. That said, Toronto is no stranger to these types/groups. It is scary what lurks underneath the obvious layers..

Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,789,009 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I'm sure tabs are being kept. They are entitled to their beliefs, no matter how revolting you or I make think they are.

Ya sure... but I just realized some of these people live in my neighbourhood ! I would have been cool with that until I realized how close this stuff was going on to where I live .

Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
There are white supremacist groups in every city across this country. They might not be as popular as they were in the 90s, but there are always some around. It seems a bit naive to be surprised at these groups existing in Toronto. Thankfully they are not gaining any major following.....at least not for now. That could change. Specially with the rise of right wing groups in other countries, some people might want to jump on the bandwagon.

Also about the comment about people living outside of cities. It really depends where you go. I am a person of color and have lived in both of Canadas biggest cities and also in rural parts of the Maritimes. Racism is alive and well in our cities and I can't say I never experienced racism in Nova Scotia, but Maritimers in general are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I currently live in Manitoba and for the most part people are very nice but I have definitely detected a more aggressive racist red neck attitude out here than I did back east. I have seen people here with confederate flags on their trucks and more recently a confederate flag hanging in front of a house. Maybe one of these people are from the south of the USA, it is very doubtful they all were.

As far as our big cities go, yes it is true they are liberal, diverse and tolerant cities, but I find that many ethnic groups often group off among their own and often have very racist, classist and stereotypical views of other groups. Specially of groups that might not be doing so well economically. The most blatant racism I have seen and experienced has been in both Montreal and Toronto.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Specially with the rise of right wing groups in other countries, some people might want to jump on the bandwagon.

This is what i'm most concerned about really..

Old 01-12-2017, 06:50 PM

5,880 posts, read 2,385,909 times
Quote:
The grim history of the Ku Klux Klan in Toronto - Spacing Toronto

Oh my god ....

I just did a search more specifically on this in Toronto and realized that this man name Don Andrews who basically grew up in the area of the city I live in now was the head of the Toronto version of the KKK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Andrews

Lot of crazy stuff went down in Toronto before I was born !
I will admit I grew up in a part of the city that was very diverse and most of the population was new imigrants and now live in a pretty white part of the city ( which I really never knew existed until I was an adult). Mind you this is gradually changing, but I dont know how this is still possible, but on my street most of the people that live there are white/ anglo Canadians. I am not saying this is bad or good... it is just really different then where I grew up in the city. This might sound stupid for some people reading this but seriously for most of my life growing up in Toronto "white" anglo people have always seemed to be a huge minority and since moving to this part of South East Scarborough ... very different. Both homes I have bought in this area of the city were from the kids ( kids in their 60 to 80s) of English Canada people that had passed away ( ex people that bought the homes in the 1940s and passed aways in the 2000s and their kids put the homes up for sale).

Wow to think this history has just been sitting right under my nose and I never know about it.

This is scary ... this man was a city employee and even was runing for mayor ... holly cow. Now I am starting to understand how people like Trump can win elections ... many of us (self included) are not really aware of bad stuff that is going on right under our noses.
Quote:
Now I am reading about this guy ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfgang_Droege

What the heck? How did I not know about any of this ???

This people are pretty much living in/ were livinig in and around my area of the city.
Hate to tell you..BUT there was such hate Groups ..and sure there were those that tried to infiltrate into politics..BUT fortunately..THEIR HATE never took ROOT! Sure there are some who harbour biases towards blacks and "Other's"..BUT nothing compared to South of the Border (49th parallel) !!

Canadian's have always been welcoming..BUT don't CROSS US..or you're deemed "Undesirable" and shunned! Outcome with this ended up keeping such HATE groups suppressed ( not irradiacted)! So prejudices may be here..BUT no one dares express it publicly ! Those that DO..Better have a good Lawyer on retainer!! This stuff doesn't fly up here nor acceptable !!

I am old enough to recall mixed marriages was considered a No No..course was over 60+ years ago. Now it makes no difference and everybody's rights are respected..including SS Marriage !

Why is it that a Country which came into being back in 1867 ( tho was still considers part of the "Commonwealth" at that time) . Yet USA/America came into being back in 1776..and still divided on who has rights? you know those "Other's" that some politicians like to refer to!!

Prejudice is something learned and mentored..NOT inborn genetically. Guess Canadian gene pool lacks the tendency to bring up our kids to be bigoted or racist or taught to have a mission to rid their Country of anyone unlike them! Some Canadian's may think that way..BUT ZERO tolerance tells them..to **** and mind your own business or suffer the legal consequences!

There's still GANGS..but their mission is a completely different mandate!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Default Good points ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
There are white supremacist groups in every city across this country. They might not be as popular as they were in the 90s, but there are always some around. It seems a bit naive to be surprised at these groups existing in Toronto. Thankfully they are not gaining any major following.....at least not for now. That could change. Specially with the rise of right wing groups in other countries, some people might want to jump on the bandwagon.

Also about the comment about people living outside of cities. It really depends where you go. I am a person of color and have lived in both of Canadas biggest cities and also in rural parts of the Maritimes. Racism is alive and well in our cities and I can't say I never experienced racism in Nova Scotia, but Maritimers in general are some of the nicest people I have ever met. I currently live in Manitoba and for the most part people are very nice but I have definitely detected a more aggressive racist red neck attitude out here than I did back east. I have seen people here with confederate flags on their trucks and more recently a confederate flag hanging in front of a house. Maybe one of these people are from the south of the USA, it is very doubtful they all were.

As far as our big cities go, yes it is true they are liberal, diverse and tolerant cities, but I find that many ethnic groups often group off among their own and often have very racist, classist and stereotypical views of other groups. Specially of groups that might not be doing so well economically. The most blatant racism I have seen and experienced has been in both Montreal and Toronto.
Regarding the East Coast ... I have mixed reviews. I pass for being white as I dont really stand out as a minority. When in New Brunswick I met lost of really nice people... but many of these same really nice people where also really unknowingly racist at times. I recall numerous occasions where I would have patients sayingt he most vulger and racist things about the doctors (who were frequently ethnic minorities). There was one time I really was so shocked to here this this 90 year old white man refer to the Cardiac Surgeon that just literally saved his like as " you mean that stupid paki". My jaw dropped. It really was one of those moments I had to stop and say wow ... how would he be treating me if my skin was a few shades darker. He really does not know who I am. This one of the scary things being someone like me ... you fly under the radar as a minority...and you often get to hear the most harshes things people have to say about people like you that just happen to be a few shades darker.

I have had several very crushing moments like ths over the years that will always say with me ....

1. Play ground a child a little boy approached my first cousin who appears more Indo-Trinidadian making fun of her calling her a dirty brownie. I got in trouble for throwing sand in his eye ... but the punk deserved it and I had no intention of saying sorry no matter my grandmother said.

2. Eating dinner and my freind my the East Coast house when her dad realized a guy we where freind with who was Chinese likes her and her made the comment " My daughter is not going to dare ever date no Chinese guy". I have people in my family that are of Trinidadian/ Chinese heritage... I was not mortified I wanted to died.

3. Being in my freinds wedding party in the Limo she is Anglo Canadian and the guy she married was Italian and for the whole ride to the hall I had to sit and listen to them making racist jokes about Indian people, black people and chinese people and being that it was my freinds wedding day and I did not want to cause a seen so I had to hold my tongue. Please note a lot of these people in this Limo that were making these comments work as school teachers, social workers in the city and for customes Canada. After that night I sort of unoffically ended out freind ship.

I agree immigrants are not better in terms of their tendencies to be racist towards other groups. So it is more of a human issue vs a certain group of people being more racist then any others. I some times actually think new immigrants can be worse then being that grew up in the city at least in my generation regarding this.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Hate to tell you..BUT there was such hate Groups ..and sure there were those that tried to infiltrate into politics..BUT fortunately..THEIR HATE never took ROOT! Sure there are some who harbour biases towards blacks and "Other's"..BUT nothing compared to South of the Border (49th parallel) !!

Canadian's have always been welcoming..BUT don't CROSS US..or you're deemed "Undesirable" and shunned! Outcome with this ended up keeping such HATE groups suppressed ( not irradiacted)! So prejudices may be here..BUT no one dares express it publicly ! Those that DO..Better have a good Lawyer on retainer!! This stuff doesn't fly up here nor acceptable !!

I am old enough to recall mixed marriages was considered a No No..course was over 60+ years ago. Now it makes no difference and everybody's rights are respected..including SS Marriage !

Why is it that a Country which came into being back in 1867 ( tho was still considers part of the "Commonwealth" at that time) . Yet USA/America came into being back in 1776..and still divided on who has rights? you know those "Other's" that some politicians like to refer to!!

Prejudice is something learned and mentored..NOT inborn genetically. Guess Canadian gene pool lacks the tendency to bring up our kids to be bigoted or racist or taught to have a mission to rid their Country of anyone unlike them! Some Canadian's may think that way..BUT ZERO tolerance tells them..to **** and mind your own business or suffer the legal consequences!

There's still GANGS..but their mission is a completely different mandate!!
I am pretty concerned about this. I think just like a roach infestation ... you need to be always on top of the situation or it is just going to get out of hand. We will always have roaches...just like we will always have racists... but if we don't stay on top of it ... the infestation is going to get out of control.

I think this discovery is going to serve as a reminder to myself that I have to speak up, keep my eyes and ears open and talk to my child about this. Kids are pretty innocent and I want to make sure mine is aware of how to try to manage this types of situations if they do arise.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Toronto's Fringe Mayoral Candidates

Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,491,264 times
Quote:
I was thinking about all those places in between major cities I have no idea about in Canada and the USA. I was also remembering that people across Canada really do not have the same level of cultural diversity as in the major cities I am use to. Then I came to think about what it would be like being in different parts of Canada and being not white. I know a few years ago I was thinking about driving to Florida and was looking for interesting places to stop along the way and some how I got a little turned off by some of the places a long route that seemed to have a less friendly attitude towards people that are not white ex South Carolina, Parts of PA and The Virgina States. I almost forgot about the existence of really racist people.

This made me start to wonder how much of an issue does canada have with racist groups like the KKK/ neo- Nazis? Coming from Toronto this almost seems not like, but I doubt impossible. I was reading something online stuff today suggesting there was a KKK branch in George Town/ Brampton Area... which in it's self sounds like really as when I think of Brampton that is the last thing I would thing of?
The tuque has often confused people south of the border, but it is definitely not a conehead hat, and it doesn't have to be white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada