U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:33 AM

18,272 posts, read 10,371,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Ask Jim Keegstra if hate speech laws are rarely enforced.
He will tell that is simply not true.
And of course his situation and opinion would constitute proof of a trend other than RARE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:40 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,780,600 times
Default 100% agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada there is often so much focus on Donald Trump, Octomom, Trayvon Martin, Ferguson MO and before that... the Central Park jogger, Rodney King, OJ Simpson, the Manson family, David Duke, Susan Smith, Al Sharpton, Waco TX, Iran-Contra, etc., that Canadians aren't even aware of a lot of the stuff that goes on in their own country.
I 100% agree. I know at least for myself this has become very obvious. I can tell you lost more things going on in some other parts of the world then in Canada for sure. This is a very scary reality because it almost suggests it could be easier for things to fly under the radar in Canada before things get out of control... because too many of us are paying too much attention to other things and are distracted from things going on in our own backyard.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I 100% agree. I know at least for myself this has become very obvious. I can tell you lost more things going on in some other parts of the world then in Canada for sure. This is a very scary reality because it almost suggests it could be easier for things to fly under the radar in Canada before things get out of control... because too many of us are paying too much attention to other things and are distracted from things going on in our own backyard.

Ever heard of this? It was a pretty common practice by police on the Prairies not that long ago. I've met educated people from Western Canada who've never even heard of this stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlight_tours

Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 AM

Regarding comments surrounding how likely a person is to have hate crime charges enforced in Canada... I think the court of public opinion may just be as punishable. For example look at the recent cases about people accused of crimes or saying sexist/ racist things and the public backlash ex people losing their jobs, become social outcasts and having long standing negative labels associated with them.

ex Jian Ghomeshi - It does not matter what the court said most people will likely associate with being a rapist/ sexual predator

On most days when I do check out the news there is someone being called out publically for something they posted on social media. Mistakes like this can really damage something reputation and public image.

I personally had to unfriend certain people because they were posting things that I did not want to have associated with my name as it was too controversial and I need to be mindful of what I do for a living. I know when I hear comments made by people in postions of authority that are racist, sexist, homophobic etc... it makes me that much more alarmed. For example when I riding in that Limo hearing the stuff those people many of which I went to school with were saying it was heart breaking because these people work in positions of authority often with vulerable people ex kids, lower income, new immigrants and how do these opinions effect vulnerable people they interact with in this city/ the GTA.

Imagine you have social workers, immigration officers at the airport and school teachers that are being opening racist. They were not even joking that is the thing that scared me.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Ever heard of this? It was a pretty common practice by police on the Prairies not that long ago. I've met educated people from Western Canada who've never even heard of this stuff.

No. I have never heard of this and it is absolutely scary to think this could happen here. This type of situation reminds of the stuff I hear about happening if third work countries we labels as backward and corrupt.... yet it happend in Canada.

I got to say despite growing up around a not so great area of the city I never been stopped by police in this country. To be honest I would be so confused that I would not really know what to do. I would be scared, insulted and angry at the same time.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Quote:

The Prairies is not the only place that 'starlight tours' have happened. It has happened in the west and east too, and not only to aboriginals. When I worked in the DTES I heard accounts from homeless individuals of various races from all parts of the country who have reported experiencing or hearing of similar incidents from coast to coast. People who were troublesome were taken out of town and dropped off somewhere in the boonies and warned not to come back. Sometimes they were roughed up as well.

It has happened in Canada but it's also been a common practise in many other countries for decades, even hundreds of years. Who do you think the Canadian police got the idea from?

I don't think being educated or not educated has anything to do with people from any part of Canada hearing about this kind of stuff. If it doesn't make it into the news headlines because of some tragedy, if a certain practise is swept under the rug with the idea being that what the public doesn't know won't hurt them, or if people just don't say anything about it to anyone else because of shame then how are the general public supposed to know about it?

Did YOU know that it has happened in places right across Canada and not only to aboriginals, or that it's always been a common practise in other countries too?

Ever heard of people being tarred and feathered and run out of town tied up on a rail? Same principle but I think THAT is worse than stern words and a ride to the boonies in a cruiser.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-13-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 11:52 AM

7,232 posts, read 6,579,297 times
I think somebody's melodramatic helpless outraged engenue act is getting laid on a bit too thick.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Prairies is not the only place that 'starlight tours' have happened. It has happened in the west and east too, and not only to aboriginals. When I worked in the DTES I heard accounts from homeless individuals of various races from all parts of the country who have reported experiencing or hearing of similar incidents from coast to coast. People who were troublesome were taken out of town and dropped off somewhere in the boonies and warned not to come back. Sometimes they were roughed up as well.

It has happened in Canada but it's also been a common practise in many other countries for decades, even hundreds of years. Who do you think the Canadian police got the idea from?

I don't think being educated or not educated has anything to do with people from any part of Canada hearing about this kind of stuff. If it doesn't make it into the news headlines because of some tragedy, if a certain practise is swept under the rug with the idea being that what the public doesn't know won't hurt them, or if people just don't say anything about it to anyone else because of shame then how are the general public supposed to know about it?

Did YOU know that it has happened in places right across Canada and not only to aboriginals, or that it's always been a common practise in other countries too?

I did not know this was possible as it seems like kidnapping and I was not aware that the police were allowed to up kidnap people or hold them without reason. I also thought we had laws in this country to protect people form stuff like this, but I guess if you don't have the money, position or power to fight back against people who infringe on your rights this is what can happen.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:36 PM

5,952 posts, read 7,321,977 times
Quote:
And on the other side of the coin, it was a huge deal for many Catholics that the POTUS was a Catholic. My Acadian grandmother in the Maritimes had no real ties to the U.S. and wasn't Irish in the slightest, but she had a picture of JFK in her living room for this reason.
Interesting how the only other president who has faced the religious BS of Kennedy is Obama.... Some WASPs can't deal with the idea of non WASPs running the show.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:37 PM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Ever heard of people being tarred and feathered and run out of town tied up on a rail?

I don't claim to know everything, but yeah... I'm aware of a lot of stuff. But thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada