U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,501,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
^^ Lol.

I'm just a big chicken. I see the parks get a lot of visitors, so my thought is as long as I stay around the crowds, I should be OK. I think walking the trails alone, with just the dog is where there could potentially be some issues.
Yes, you can see them.

I know that as a fact.

Hiking down from Summit Lake in Waterton Lakes National Park, I found myself
about 30 feet from a black bear (thankfully not a grizzly) ....I just froze
and the bear took off as a group of hikers going up the trail made a lot of noise,
scaring off the bear. About as close I ever want to get, that's for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM

213 posts, read 445,399 times
Common sense is a wonderful tool, it will even keep you safe. More people should try it.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
^^ Lol.

I'm just a big chicken. I see the parks get a lot of visitors, so my thought is as long as I stay around the crowds, I should be OK. I think walking the trails alone, with just the dog is where there could potentially be some issues.
Pets have to be leashed at all times in the Parks. On a lead 10' or less.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Pets have to be leashed at all times in the Parks. On a lead 10' or less.
I really hope this is enforced. The parks where I live don't enforce this, so both my dog and I are stressed out. I take her about 30 minutes north, where there's less people, and we can both be at peace. Unless at a dog park, I prefer for people to have their dogs on a leash, and yes, this includes my dog. When we go to the lake, she's on a 100' tie out. She won't go in water above her chest, so I don't use much of 100 feet.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:36 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Quote:
I really hope this is enforced. The parks where I live don't enforce this, so both my dog and I are stressed out. I take her about 30 minutes north, where there's less people, and we can both be at peace. Unless at a dog park, I prefer for people to have their dogs on a leash, and yes, this includes my dog. When we go to the lake, she's on a 100' tie out. She won't go in water above her chest, so I don't use much of 100 feet.
Park Rangers are quite emphatic about it. They generally discourage dogs in general in Banff.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:21 PM

Doh. I'd love to walk the trails with my girl. I understand though.

I'm looking into the Calgary Stampede too, which starts the day before we leave. Maybe I will go to Banff that morning, then hit the Stampede, and head back to Lethbridge in the early evening. I'm not much for crowds, so I don't see myself spending more than an hour or two at either place.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 AM

34,381 posts, read 41,480,724 times
Quote:
Doh. I'd love to walk the trails with my girl. I understand though.

I'm looking into the Calgary Stampede too, which starts the day before we leave. Maybe I will go to Banff that morning, then hit the Stampede, and head back to Lethbridge in the early evening. I'm not much for crowds, so I don't see myself spending more than an hour or two at either place.
You might want to check the mileage as its a 3 and a half hour drive from Lethbridge to Banff, not something i would think you could squeeze into a morning outing.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:57 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,752,214 times
I'm unsure if Banff in the morning and the Stampede in the afternoon is a good idea, especially if Lethbridge is your starting and ending point that day.

Banff is a lot more than just the town--there is also the Cave and Basin, Sulphur Mountain, Bankhead, Lake Minnewanka, Johnston Canyon, and Lake Louise (with its lakeside hikes and a trail to Lake Agnes, but it is still a half-hour west of Banff town). To do an hour in Banff town (which is basically just souvenir shops, bars, and restaurants) would be doing the rest of the park an injustice.

Somewhat similar, is the Stampede. Basically, it's a fair, with carnival rides and games, and vendors selling schlock. If you want to see the rodeo events (afternoons) or the chuckwagon races (evenings), you'll need tickets after you get through the gate. Some events sell out early, and parking is expensive--that is, if you can find it. Parking near the Stampede grounds is always difficult and expensive during Stampede.

Lethbridge to Banff can be done in under three hours, if you cut off Highway 2 at High River and go up through Black Diamond, to Highway 22, which meets up with Highway 1 just south of Cochrane. But it is still 2.5 to 2.75 hours. Calgary to Lethbridge is about two hours. Either way, if Lethbridge is your starting and ending point for your day in Banff and/or Calgary, you're looking at a four to six hour round trip.

I don't mean to discourage you from your plans, but you should be aware of the distances and the activities involved. Perhaps you might plan for a night or two in Banff or Canmore, if your base is Lethbridge and you want to take in Banff and Calgary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada