Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,356,566 times

Advertisements

I've been to Calgary a couple of times and love the city. When i lived in Vancouver if it was not for my job i would have move there. Now, i've never visited Edmonton because i've always thought of it as a castaway city, but i was reading a thread about it on another website and i was blown away buy how big it has gotten. Do you guys think Edmonton is slowly closing the gap or will Calgary remain the king of Alberta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,470,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I've been to Calgary a couple of times and love the city. When i lived in Vancouver if it was not for my job i would have move there. Now, i've never visited Edmonton because i've always thought of it as a castaway city, but i was reading a thread about it on another website and i was blown away buy how big it has gotten. Do you guys think Edmonton is slowly closing the gap or will Calgary remain the king of Alberta?
Edmonton used to be a larger city than Calgary, for example during the 70's, but there's never been a very big gap in population between the two. It's not that Calgary was king and Edmonton is catching up, it's that there's never been such a thing as a King of Alberta, there is, and always has been, two relatively equally weighted cities. Sometimes one passes the other, but there's never much of a gap. Edmonton isn't a castaway city and never was.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,201,141 times
Bimbam is spot on. Edmonton historically is the centre of Government, Calgary the centre of business and transportation.

Culturally, Edmonton has always been ahead of Calgary, but that gap has narrowed gradually over the years, but they still have better Government supported perks. Also, you can't compare the Saskatchewan River Valley to the Bow. I think Calgary has done well/better making everything accessible, but the park spaces don't compare, unless you're talking Nose Hill. Edmonton downtown is horrible compared to Calgary's but the new Arena District will help a lot.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:33 PM

26,765 posts, read 37,673,521 times
I agree with most on here.

Edmonton never declined and wasn't even left in the dust by Calgary. It was always fairly close on Calgary's heels.

That said, I would bet on Calgary remaining the larger of the two, even if anything can happen.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:30 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,196,932 times
I have never heard of Edmonton being considered a "castaway" city, very odd terminology. If anything, I've always thought of Edmonton as being culturally more interesting than Calgary, and I think many others would agree with me. This is not meant to be a slight to Calgary though, just a personal opinion. Calgary is more of a corporate city and seems to be more well known than Edmonton, but both cities are great.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:59 PM

2,453 posts, read 2,356,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
I have never heard of Edmonton being considered a "castaway" city, very odd terminology. If anything, I've always thought of Edmonton as being culturally more interesting than Calgary, and I think many others would agree with me. This is not meant to be a slight to Calgary though, just a personal opinion. Calgary is more of a corporate city and seems to be more well known than Edmonton, but both cities are great.
When i lived in Canada, better before even moving there i had heard vaguely of Edmonton. Canada for me and most of my friends was Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec...

Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,470,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
When i lived in Canada, better before even moving there i had heard vaguely of Edmonton. Canada for me and most of my friends was Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Quebec...
What about the capital city? Did Ottawa register? It's the third metro in Canada, along with the two being discussed, that is in that size range of just over a million.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,632,292 times
They probably should just merge to form a real city. Calgary has 1 million people on surface, but definitely doesn't look like a city with that many people. You can't help wonder where those people are most of the time?

Old 01-21-2017, 05:39 AM

26,765 posts, read 37,673,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
They probably should just merge to form a real city. Calgary has 1 million people on surface, but definitely doesn't look like a city with that many people. You can't help wonder where those people are most of the time?
Edmonton and Calgary merge? They are 300 km apart.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:08 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,632,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Edmonton and Calgary merge? They are 300 km apart.
I know, I know. Just dreaming
You know the problem I am talking about - cities where downtowns/central city are considered just a place to work and becomes ghost towns after 6pm. For a city, the suburbs and its population is basically irrelevant.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...says-1.2748527
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada