U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:21 AM

213 posts, read 445,093 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be visiting Lethbridge the first week of July, so I'm looking for suggestions as to the "must see's" within a six hour drive. I'd really love to hear about the hidden gems, be it food, lakes, music ect.. Places vacationers wouldn't necessarily find out about via the internet.

I plan on going to Calgary one day; hoping to see where the Olympics were held, and hopefully Banff to see Lake Louise, and maybe Edmonton on another day. I know there's a Japanese garden in Lethbridge I plan on attending, as well as the Galt museum. I'm debating about going over to Saskatoon and/or Regina. That completely depends on how much I can squeeze in with a six day vacation. Luckily, I don't mind driving.

I don't drink, but wouldn't mind going somewhere and listening to music or a comedy show (preferably in a place without alcohol). I will have my dog with me, so if there's a recommendation as to where to take "Fido" for some swimming or a nice walk, that would be great too.

If it matters, I am driving up from the U.S. I chose Lethbridge because it's smaller than Calgary, as big cities are not my thing, and I've seen some beautiful pictures online. I am not your stereotypical vacationer.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Couple of ideas,

Waterton lakes=

Parks Canada - Waterton Lakes National Park - Waterton Lakes National Park

Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump=
Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump World Heritage Site

Dinosaur Provincial Park=

https://www.albertaparks.ca/dinosaur/

Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 AM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
First week in July, you'd be remiss to not go to Calgary for the Stampede. Try to take in the chuckwagon races if you can. - Homepage | Calgary Stampede

As far as off the beaten path around Lethbridge...

Frank Slide - Frank Slide Interpretive Centre

Leitch Collieries - Alberta's Provincial Historic Sites, Interpretive Centres and Museums

Remington Carriage Museum - Remington Carriage Museum

Writing on Stone Provincial Park - https://www.travelalberta.com/us/lis...ial-park-1927/

Fort MacLeod has a recreation of the original RCMP fort that helped bring law and order to the area. Nanton has a WWII Bomber Museum and a Grain Elevator that is open for tours.

If you're going to Banff, head up Highway 22, and turn at Longview to take Highway 40 up the back side of the Kananaskis valley. Virtually tourist free, and beautiful. It's only open from June to October over the top due to snow and wildlife migrations. They simply close the highway for the winter.

As Jambo said, both Head-Smashed-In and Dinosaur Provincial Park are UNESCO sites, and certainly worth the trip.

Also, Waterton, head south over Big Chief border crossing to St. Helena, Montana and do the Going To the Sun Rd. in Glacier National Park.

I'd leave Saskatchewan out and probably Edmonton too, as there's just not that much in Regina or Saskatoon to warrant that amount of driving. Do Banff up to Lake Louise (don't forget Moraine Lake, nicer than either) and then take the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper. You can come back down the same way, or turn out at Saskatchewan River Crossing and head out to Rocky Mountain House, and work your way back south. As a bonus, National Park passes are free in 2017 in celebration of Canada's 150th. You still have to get one, but they have no cost.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 01-13-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,749,261 times
Some great suggestions here. I'll mention a few things that haven't been addressed yet.

For your dog, take him down in the coulees (the river valley park). Lots of trails for the two of you to walk on, and if he feels like jumping in the river, he can. The current is not strong, and he should be safe. You can get there by driving west on 3rd Avenue. Another park he might like is Henderson Lake Park, but I am unsure if he would be allowed to have a swim in the lake there. It is east of Mayor Magrath, between Parkside and South Parkside Drives.

You likely won't find music or comedy without alcohol, so be aware of that. But if you're willing to put up with it, you'll find a good entertainment scene. Listings as to what's on and where can be found at labeat.ca, or you can check out the websites of individual places: The Owl Acoustic Lounge and The Slice seem to be a couple of places where you can count on good local talent regularly. Average Joe's is a sports bar, but they occasionally get major bands in--the Sweet, Prism, Nazareth, and Streetheart have all appeared there. It is also the place for standup comedy; at least once a month, YukYuk's comedy comes through.

Ah, just remembered--New West Theatre does music and comedy revues at the Yates Theatre. Local performers, but quite talented, and their shows are a lot of fun. And no alcohol.

Have fun!

Old 01-13-2017, 05:59 PM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
First week in July, you'd be remiss to not go to Calgary for the Stampede. Try to take in the chuckwagon races if you can. - Homepage | Calgary Stampede

As far as off the beaten path around Lethbridge...

Frank Slide - Frank Slide Interpretive Centre

Leitch Collieries - Alberta's Provincial Historic Sites, Interpretive Centres and Museums

Remington Carriage Museum - Remington Carriage Museum

Writing on Stone Provincial Park - https://www.travelalberta.com/us/lis...ial-park-1927/

Fort MacLeod has a recreation of the original RCMP fort that helped bring law and order to the area. Nanton has a WWII Bomber Museum and a Grain Elevator that is open for tours.

If you're going to Banff, head up Highway 22, and turn at Longview to take Highway 40 up the back side of the Kananaskis valley. Virtually tourist free, and beautiful. It's only open from June to October over the top due to snow and wildlife migrations. They simply close the highway for the winter.

As Jambo said, both Head-Smashed-In and Dinosaur Provincial Park are UNESCO sites, and certainly worth the trip.

Also, Waterton, head south over Big Chief border crossing to St. Helena, Montana and do the Going To the Sun Rd. in Glacier National Park.

I'd leave Saskatchewan out and probably Edmonton too, as there's just not that much in Regina or Saskatoon to warrant that amount of driving. Do Banff up to Lake Louise (don't forget Moraine Lake, nicer than either) and then take the Icefields Parkway up to Jasper. You can come back down the same way, or turn out at Saskatchewan River Crossing and head out to Rocky Mountain House, and work your way back south. As a bonus, National Park passes are free in 2017 in celebration of Canada's 150th. You still have to get one, but they have no cost.
Excellent suggestions.

Seen all of them.

I really liked Writing On Stone Provincial Park which is almost due south of Lethbridge,
near the US border, but if you've been to more spectacular rock formations on Utah
you might want to skip it.
I would then head west to Waterton Lakes National Park,
possibly take a tour boat or drive up to Cameron Lake, there is a short but steep trail to
Summit Lake. Then I would head south, cross the US border at Big Chief and do Going to the Sun Hwy,
which crosses Glacier National Park, east to west, checking out Flathead Lake, Kalispel and Whitefish,
then head north on HWY 93 ...crossing the border back into Canada...continue north,
passing through Fernie and Sparwood, crossing the the continental divide back into Alberta
at Crowsnest Pass, stopping just by to see the Frank Slide.
I would then head north on Alberta forestry trunk road up to Longview, then head west up
through Highwood Pass (highest paved road in Canada, closed in winter), stopping at
Spray Lakes before descending down to Canmore.
From Canmore you can either head east to Calgary or west to Banff.
Personally, from Banff, I would head north on the Icefields Parkway as far as the Columbia Icefields,
then exit Banff/Jasper going east via Nordegg, then south down to Calgary.

I really like Dinosaur Provincial (north of Brooks) is a bit out of the way but well worth it
if you a badlands nut like me, from there, I even headed NE via secondary roads
up to the Drumheller Badlands ....Drumheller is really....a small city right in the Badlands.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:53 AM

Wow, so much to do! Thank you all for all of your suggestions. I already have a list going, so I will add your ideas to it and try to make routes where I can see multiple sites per day. And, thanks for the river/lakes suggestions. My dog loves to play in the lake, so that will make both of us happy. :-)

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 AM

According to Wikipedia, Banff has wolverines, grizzly bears, amongst other things. Is it normal for humans to see them while out exploring? If so, I'd rather not go. :-(

Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 AM

34,358 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonchickfan View Post
According to Wikipedia, Banff has wolverines, grizzly bears, amongst other things. Is it normal for humans to see them while out exploring? If so, I'd rather not go. :-(
Chances of seeing these animals in the wild are slim but the possibility exists so i guess you better rethink your itinerary if this is going to be a problem.
Ya'll come back now.=
http://www.wildernessprints.com/imag...-grizzly18.jpg

Old 01-14-2017, 03:27 PM

^^ Lol.

I'm just a big chicken. I see the parks get a lot of visitors, so my thought is as long as I stay around the crowds, I should be OK. I think walking the trails alone, with just the dog is where there could potentially be some issues.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:49 PM

2,166 posts, read 1,749,261 times
I've never seen wolverines in Banff, but I have seen elk, mountain goats, and bears. At Waterton, I've seen bears, deer, and bighorn sheep. I've never worried about them; the more dangerous animals (bears and bighorn sheep, which I've only seen from the safety of my car) prefer to stay away from people, and places where people gather. The others do wander into the townsites from time to time

Regardless, always remember that all the animals are wild animals. Take as many photos as you like, but do so from a safe distance. Don't approach the animals. Every summer, local news media reports on tourists who got too close, and ended up injured somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada