U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 08:38 PM

191 posts, read 133,117 times

Advertisements

For Montreal, I feel there has been more rain in recent years compared to the past. From what I remember as a kid and from what older people tell me, there used to be more snow.

Rain honestly sucks more than snow in the winter as the above freezing temperatures are short-lived. A frigid cold spell would soon follow and freeze everything. Not to mention the damage it causes on the ski hills.

I would also say that the season also seems to have been pushed back a little. For a few years before this year, winter seems to have started later and ended later as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 10:18 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,130,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, this year is a La Nina year, which leads to cold weather, the counterpart to last year's El Nino which leads to warm weather. They are created by ocean current cycles off the West coast of South America.
Well as cold as it was it was still cool to celebrate New Years in Madrid. Its an awesome city..

Old 01-15-2017, 11:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

....... What about Banff? Its in the mountains right? Where are the other places in Canada that is equivalent to Mont Tremblant?
Banff would be a good choice. There is plenty of snow there and elsewhere in the Rocky Mountains during winter.

Old 01-15-2017, 07:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Banff would be a good choice. There is plenty of snow there and elsewhere in the Rocky Mountains during winter.

Whistler is great too, if he's heading west. It's not the equivalent of Mont Tremblant, rather Mont Tremblant is a poor imitation of resorts like Whistler which is a truly world class tourist destination with billions of dollars of investment into tourist attractions. It is an enormous mountain compared to Tremblant, but is a bit commercial for my tastes (like the Disneyland of ski resorts). Sun Peaks, Big White, and Whitewater are BC mountains with great skiing in the interior, farther from the tourist hordes.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:08 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How has climate change affected Canada?

Have you guys, especially the southern half been getting normal levels of snow these past years. I know NY has been getting less and less these past few years. It is middle of January and no blizzard yet. Same as last year.

Last year I wanted to take a trip to Quebec to experience the winter outdoors, but the outfitters were telling me they did not get enough snow. And I am talking about Quebec City and Saguenay areas I was inquiring about.
We have had wilder temperature swings than before. I don't think you can say there has been less snow -- 2008 was the worst year on record. This year is above average and we've got plenty of snow on the ground despite warmer temps (~40F for part of last week).

I don't know when you inquired about QC but I don't remember a time when there wasn't a significant amount of snow on the ground between January 15 to March 15, there may have been 1-2 years without snow in early January or late March but that's very rare.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

9,521 posts, read 9,402,418 times
I think a good indicator would be the quality of maple sap.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think a good indicator would be the quality of maple sap.
...for some parts of Canada maybe.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-16-2017 at 01:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:59 PM

78,539 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Methane gas releasing from the melting permafrost in the north. Years of summer forest fires in southern BC, and bark beetle infestations killing the pine forests. Other than that, I haven't heard.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:37 PM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Methane gas releasing from the melting permafrost in the north. Years of summer forest fires in southern BC, and bark beetle infestations killing the pine forests. Other than that, I haven't heard.
Wildfires happen all over BC, not just southern BC. Yukon, NWT and northern Alberta and Saskatchewan have been hit very hard too. (and Alaska) The fires start in very early spring and continue through summer into late autumn when the rainy season starts.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:34 AM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
NASA news=
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...ecord-globally
How does global warming affect me here in Montreal? well its mid January and i've yet to use my snow shovel this winter and weather forecast puts daytime high temps above freezing all week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or