U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:10 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I always figured you guys did that on purpose (taunting).

However, here in the middle of nowhere, in the vicinity of Winterpeg, we had two days AND nights in January where the temperature remained above freezing. And we had rain. Pretty unheard of for here. And we had the latest recorded first snowfall but I can't remember exactly what day that was as my husband was in the hospital. But we were having very mild temperatures - as high as 11C, I think - in November, and around 5C in the first week or two of December. And we basically went suddenly from above freezing to -20C and lower from about mid-December to mid January when we had that warm-up. We are back in the deep freeze now though.

As far as climate change, we have had several very rainy seasons. The ground has been saturated for at least two years and we have a large amount of snow and there are fears of a flood again. Nothing ever really dried up last year, which caused a lot of harvest problems. Farmers were reporting record yields on corn crops (100 bushels an acre), but then they had trouble getting out on the field to harvest it. Farmers were doing field work in my area up to the first week of December, not due solely to the wet weather, but also because the unseasonably mild temperatures allowed them to do so.

But it's hard to say how much is seasonal variations and how much is due to climate change.
Yes, taunting Torontonians is a time honoured tradition out here on the west coast. We really kick into gear once the flowers start blooming.

They in turn taunt us with hot sunny summer days if we get a particular rainy part of summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 07:59 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, taunting Torontonians is a time honoured tradition out here on the west coast. We really kick into gear once the flowers start blooming.

They in turn taunt us with hot sunny summer days if we get a particular rainy part of summer
really? Hot summers are not something to boast about. I think about 22-26 degrees with low humidity is the perfect, in which case vancouver's summer is pretty ideal. I find the sun too strong on many days in the summer in Toronto.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
really? Hot summers are not something to boast about. I think about 22-26 degrees with low humidity is the perfect, in which case vancouver's summer is pretty ideal. I find the sun too strong on many days in the summer in Toronto.
Well Mr. Sunshine, not everyone agrees, besides I wasn't talking about a beautiful sunny summer day in Vancouver, I was talking about a rain in Vancouver during summer.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well Mr. Sunshine, not everyone agrees, besides I wasn't talking about a beautiful sunny summer day in Vancouver, I was talking about a rain in Vancouver during summer.
It rains in the summer in Toronto too.

Anyway wanting hot days seems to be a cold country syndrome. In Europe people go to Sicily or south of France/Spain under the burning sun in July and August as if that's the best months to trave, which is very bizarre to me. I think anything higher tha 28C with strong sunshine is not suitable for outdoor activity.

Old 02-04-2017, 04:08 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,162 times
Vancouverites taunting Torontonians and vice versa because of weather is really really funny......

Old 02-04-2017, 04:38 PM

10,134 posts, read 11,887,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Vancouverites taunting Torontonians and vice versa because of weather is really really funny......
Wouldn't it be the same as someone from Naples taunting someone from Milan about the weather? Or someone from Nice taunting someone from Paris? I don't see the difference...

Old 02-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It rains in the summer in Toronto too.

Anyway wanting hot days seems to be a cold country syndrome. In Europe people go to Sicily or south of France/Spain under the burning sun in July and August as if that's the best months to trave, which is very bizarre to me. I think anything higher tha 28C with strong sunshine is not suitable for outdoor activity.
...and wanting cooler days seems to be a hot country syndrome, which is as much as an generalization as your comment.

Different people like different weather. You don't like super hot weather. For myself I like a nice hot climate for a holiday. I was in Mexico last November for a couple of weeks, and really enjoyed the 30C plus weather while I as there. Once home, I was happy to see rain and cooler weather again. I wouldn't want to live in a super hot climate.

What I HATE is hot HUMID weather.

The rain in summer in Toronto is usually quick heavy downpours. If Vancouver gets a bad summer where you get a week of rain and clouds, that is the kind of thing friends in Toronto taunt back for.

People in Europe go south. Well, ya. Most of Europe isn't that warm most of the year. It can be quite bleak in fact.

July and August are just natural holiday times for most. In France the kids are out of school by the beginning of July, and many people take August off.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Wouldn't it be the same as someone from Naples taunting someone from Milan about the weather? Or someone from Nice taunting someone from Paris? I don't see the difference...
Nah. Italians don't have a sense of humour

Old 02-04-2017, 09:26 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
No is not the same....Naples has way better weather than Milan, not even a contest.....not to mention from where I come from (Sicily).

Yes we southerners make fun on Milan weather all the time and for a good reason....they have no chance but to take it and they know that it is true....you will never hear a Milaner taunting a Sicilian about the weather...it would be truly pathetic.

I suspect is the same with Nice and Paris (maybe not at the same level) but, sorry for the bragging, the Mediterranean sea coastal ring has probably (actually no, not probably, for sure) the best weather in the world...

But Vancouver and Toronto?? They both suck big time, a different kind of suck but they do suck regardless, weather wise....it's like asking "would you rather be kicked in the groin or in the head???"

Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.....not to mention from where I come from (Sicily).
Just booked a return ticket to Sicily! Yay! Always curious about the island.

Last week it was 19-20 degrees in Palermo That's like Toronto/Vancouver in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or