U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 07:04 AM

18,282 posts, read 10,383,572 times

Advertisements

I'm really proud of you all for not taking the bait.

Kudos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 12:18 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Just booked a return ticket to Sicily! Yay! Always curious about the island.

Last week it was 19-20 degrees in Palermo That's like Toronto/Vancouver in May.

We discussed this before....in my city you can swim in Caribbean turquoise waters in summer and, at relatively short distance, ski in winter....talking about different landscapes within a small area.

Weather wise we are truly blessed and so are all the Mediterranean coastal areas.

By the way Botti, I'm going in September....want to meet there?? I will give you a tour!! ...and food is simply spectacular.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:23 PM

10,134 posts, read 11,890,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
No is not the same....Naples has way better weather than Milan, not even a contest.....not to mention from where I come from (Sicily).

Yes we southerners make fun on Milan weather all the time and for a good reason....they have no chance but to take it and they know that it is true....you will never hear a Milaner taunting a Sicilian about the weather...it would be truly pathetic.

I suspect is the same with Nice and Paris (maybe not at the same level) but, sorry for the bragging, the Mediterranean sea coastal ring has probably (actually no, not probably, for sure) the best weather in the world...

But Vancouver and Toronto?? They both suck big time, a different kind of suck but they do suck regardless, weather wise....it's like asking "would you rather be kicked in the groin or in the head???"
It's all relative isn't it? Two people from Hawaii might laugh at Italians arguing over who has the better weather They both might say but it's so cold anywhere in Italy in winter and you can't grow coconuts or swim at the beach comfortably in January so who cares

You have to look at something within the context of the country it is in.

Last edited by deneb78; 02-05-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 01:50 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,073,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It's all relative isn't it? Two people from Hawaii might laugh at Italians arguing over who has the better weather They both might say but it's so cold anywhere in Italy in winter and you can't grow coconuts or swim at the beach comfortably in January so who cares

You have to look at something within the context of the country it is in.

...actually as Sicilian I'm not that jealous of Hawaiian weather (or Floridian weather) and specially the beaches....it actually could be the other way around, an Hawaiian could get jealous of Sicily...swimming in January is not the whole story....

The people that I know that have been in both places prefer Sicily to Hawaii every time....for my own wife, before meeting, Hawaii (Kaua'i specifically) was one of her favorite places to go, now she wants to go to Sicily all the time.....she wants to go there more often than I do

Again, the Mediterranean sea coastal ring has probably the best weather in the world....we have 4 seasons, very mild and relatively short winters with a lot of sunshine (but at least we do get winters) with snow at higher elevation, beautiful springs full of flowers and scent in the air and very pleasant summers not too humid with only few peaks of unbearably hot days, lack of recurrent extreme weather phenomena and beaches where in general you do not have to worry about sharks or very strong currents.

We are truly the perfect weather superstars.

Last edited by saturno_v; 02-05-2017 at 02:11 PM..

Old 02-05-2017, 02:34 PM

7,256 posts, read 6,591,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm just glad it happened today and not yesterday, as I had to drive out Maple Ridge, then to Royal Columbian in New West, then back to Maple Ridge, and then back home in downtown Vancouver, all with my wheelchair bound mother.

So thankful her appointment wasn't for today
Wednesday and Thursday were cold and windy but so sunny, so clear and not a speck of snow or ice in sight. This weekend we have this stuff with no end of it in sight, it just keeps on coming down. So yeah, it was good you took your mom to her appointment before this started again. This afternoon I have seen some people cross-country skiing down the side streets. There are lots of cars stuck snowbound up against the curbs.

Attached Thumbnails
How has climate change affected Canada-02-05-17-arctic-blast2-orchids  

Old 02-05-2017, 03:03 PM

7,256 posts, read 6,591,773 times
One more to show how thick it is in the air sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails
How has climate change affected Canada-02-05-17.jpg  

Old 02-06-2017, 11:47 AM

12,691 posts, read 8,762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
One more to show how thick it is in the air sometimes.

I have to head out there again tomorrow. At least I have four wheel drive if need be. It's pretty though.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:38 PM

3,020 posts, read 2,697,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How has climate change affected Canada?
Here is something interesting. 100 years ago in Vancouver, December was the warmest winter month. Today December is the coldest month of the year. Not because it has been getting colder (it has, but barely), but because January and February have warmed significantly. As a result, Vancouver and Victoria have a higher chance of having a white Christmas today than they did 20 years ago.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Here is something interesting. 100 years ago in Vancouver, December was the warmest winter month. Today December is the coldest month of the year. Not because it has been getting colder (it has, but barely), but because January and February have warmed significantly. As a result, Vancouver and Victoria have a higher chance of having a white Christmas today than they did 20 years ago.
If Jesus was born in Bethlehem and died in Jerusalem, I just never get Christians' obsession with "white Christmas". Jesus himself probably never saw snow in his life.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:54 AM

3,913 posts, read 2,731,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If Jesus was born in Bethlehem and died in Jerusalem, I just never get Christians' obsession with "white Christmas". Jesus himself probably never saw snow in his life.
Snowy Jerusalem – BiblePlaces.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or