U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:42 PM

6,209 posts, read 6,370,006 times

Advertisements

How has climate change affected Canada?

Have you guys, especially the southern half been getting normal levels of snow these past years. I know NY has been getting less and less these past few years. It is middle of January and no blizzard yet. Same as last year.

Last year I wanted to take a trip to Quebec to experience the winter outdoors, but the outfitters were telling me they did not get enough snow. And I am talking about Quebec City and Saguenay areas I was inquiring about.

I am hoping this is not that case this year. Do I need to go further into interior like Thunder Bay, and more north like Edmonton in order to find guaranteed snow? What about Banff? Its in the mountains right? Where are the other places in Canada that is equivalent to Mont Tremblant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:58 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How has climate change affected Canada?

Have you guys, especially the southern half been getting normal levels of snow these past years. I know NY has been getting less and less these past few years. It is middle of January and no blizzard yet. Same as last year.

Last year I wanted to take a trip to Quebec to experience the winter outdoors, but the outfitters were telling me they did not get enough snow. And I am talking about Quebec City and Saguenay areas I was inquiring about.

I am hoping this is not that case this year. Do I need to go further into interior like Thunder Bay, and more north like Edmonton in order to find guaranteed snow? What about Banff? Its in the mountains right? Where are the other places in Canada that is equivalent to Mont Tremblant?
Things change year to year. Some years there's lots of snow, others there's less. That'll never change, so make plans based on how the weather is any given year. One of the biggest impacts of climate change in Canada so far I would say has been the progression of ticks (and Lyme disease) north of the border which has been devastating moose populations in Southern Quebec and leading to Lyme disease cases in an area that's unfamiliar with the disease. In BC, the winters in the interior in recent years weren't cold enough often enough to control the mountain pine beetle which completely devastated our pine forests and drove many towns that relied on forestry into economic crisis, and this was of course also a huge blow to local ecosystems. In the arctic, challenges from permafrost melting (it's not supposed to melt, that's why it's called permafrost) are the biggest practical challenge so far. For example, an old toxic waste depot from an abandoned mine excavated from permafrost was supposed to contain the toxins indefinitely, but the permafrost melted and led to an environmental event. There have been changes to the natural cycles of wild life up there because the changes are more drastic up north. The challenges to polar bears due to sea ice are the most famous example, and these issues affect the people who live up there and rely on the land. Erosion due to melting permafrost is going to be a big problem.

So far these effects are pretty small, nothing to worry about now, but as the decades wear on, even if we stopped emitting today, we'll see more and more effects. There's a big lag time because of ocean currents and other systems so we're only just starting to feel the effects.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:05 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
all I can say is that the weather continues to suck in Canada. Even Vancouver is blanketed by snow storms. Toronto, who knows, it will have something bad for sure.

Last winter was not too cold in general, then spring didn't come until May. You had many days under freezing points in April and people were dressed as if it were January.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:33 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
We can't mix up weather patterns and climate change.

New report outlines climate change challenges on Canada's Arctic coast - North - CBC News

Quote:
According to Couture, the effects of climate change are already being reflected in*the land, the water and*the atmosphere.

"For instance, you get warming or thawing of the permafrost," she said. "You're getting changes in air temperatures but also in wind, and you're also seeing changes in what's happening on the sea."

The result, said Couture, is the eroding of permafrost, flooding in*low lying areas, increased storm activity and melting of sea ice.
Just because winter is still cold and not pleasant doesn't mean that the impacts of climate change aren't being felt, particularly in our north.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:07 PM

10,132 posts, read 11,881,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
all I can say is that the weather continues to suck in Canada. Even Vancouver is blanketed by snow storms. Toronto, who knows, it will have something bad for sure.

Last winter was not too cold in general, then spring didn't come until May. You had many days under freezing points in April and people were dressed as if it were January.
Even places like Istanbul and lowland Northern California got snow this year. It has been cold winter for many

Old 01-14-2017, 05:08 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,071,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We can't mix up weather patterns and climate change.

New report outlines climate change challenges on Canada's Arctic coast - North - CBC News

Just because winter is still cold and not pleasant doesn't mean that the impacts of climate change aren't being felt, particularly in our north.

Absolutely agree....many people conflate the two.

The problem with climate change is the overall change on year average temperatures not having less rigid winters or hotter summers.

Even a 3-4 degree change on the average can be catastrophic.
An excellent primer, worth every second of listening time....simple, deep, straightforward and not ideological.

https://www.peakprosperity.com/podca...ange-revisited

Old 01-14-2017, 05:46 PM

2,090 posts, read 1,458,410 times
I haven't noticed anything drastic. This winter so far locally has seen very mild temperatures but I'm not ready to believe that will be a normal trend.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Absolutely agree....many people conflate the two.

The problem with climate change is the overall change on year average temperatures not having less rigid winters or hotter summers.

Even a 3-4 degree change on the average can be catastrophic.
An excellent primer, worth every second of listening time....simple, deep, straightforward and not ideological.

https://www.peakprosperity.com/podca...ange-revisited
Awww we finally completely agree

Old 01-14-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Even places like Istanbul and lowland Northern California got snow this year. It has been cold winter for many
Yeah we were in Madrid over New Years and it was COLD.. Normally its pretty cold but this year it WAS COOOLLLD

Old 01-14-2017, 07:24 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,490,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Yeah we were in Madrid over New Years and it was COLD.. Normally its pretty cold but this year it WAS COOOLLLD
Well, this year is a La Nina year, which leads to cold weather, the counterpart to last year's El Nino which leads to warm weather. They are created by ocean current cycles off the West coast of South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or