U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
79,024 posts, read 70,880,910 times
Reputation: 77062

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambinobetrippin View Post
Can I eventually become a permanent resident? Do I still have to do rehabilitation if I do want to immigrate to Canada?
Why would you have to do rehabilitation? You said the records had been expunged.


Have you ever Googled yourself? Look yourself up on one of those People search websites, pay the small fee, and see if anything comes up under "criminal records".

 
Old 01-16-2017, 08:17 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,315 posts, read 6,621,532 times
Reputation: 14361
Contact an immigration lawyer.

.
 
Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,687 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would you have to do rehabilitation? You said the records had been expunged.


Have you ever Googled yourself? Look yourself up on one of those People search websites, pay the small fee, and see if anything comes up under "criminal records".
Because after asking around from what I've read expunged records aren't recognized in Canada since it was a crime committed outside of Canada. As I stated in another post since I gone through a diversion program and didn't even serve any jailtime for the charge I was still "convicted" even though the charges were dropped and expunged after I completed the program.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 03:25 AM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,862,044 times
Reputation: 5187
Please contact an immigration lawyer... they can help you more so than posters here. Or better yet, go to wherever the crime took place and see if they can tell you about your records. You need this anyway for permanent residency. Once you know, then contact an immigration lawyer.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 AM
 
6,440 posts, read 3,521,931 times
Reputation: 5848
The question isn't are you ready for Canada but is Canada ready for you? This all seems very disorganized. I've moved countries several times and you aren't hearing, listening or comprehending what people are telling you.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,687 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The question isn't are you ready for Canada but is Canada ready for you? This all seems very disorganized. I've moved countries several times and you aren't hearing, listening or comprehending what people are telling you.
All I want to know is what are my options at this point since I'm considered a inadmissible. As I said before I asked this question awhile ago on Yahoo answers about applying for criminal rehabilitation and this one guy said that I have to wait eight years and even if I do get approved I can only get a temporary visa and still won't be able to immigrate. So I hate saying this, but I don't know who to believe the website I was provided or the guy on yahoo answers.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 04:55 PM
 
3,156 posts, read 2,079,155 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambinobetrippin View Post
All I want to know is what are my options at this point since I'm considered a inadmissible. As I said before I asked this question awhile ago on Yahoo answers about applying for criminal rehabilitation and this one guy said that I have to wait eight years and even if I do get approved I can only get a temporary visa and still won't be able to immigrate. So I hate saying this, but I don't know who to believe the website I was provided or the guy on yahoo answers.

You still haven't told us why you really want to move to Canada so an attempt give you an advice can be offered.

Based on what you said about yourself, I tried to do that and told you to stay where you are.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 05:10 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,687 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You still haven't told us why you really want to move to Canada so an attempt give you an advice can be offered.

Based on what you said about yourself, I tried to do that and told you to stay where you are.
Like I said plenty of times I wanted to go to Canada to study engineering (software engineering or civil engineering) and hopefully get employed while in Canada as well, but after asking around I don't know who to believe. I called the parole board and they told me to call the consulate near me to get information about criminal rehabilitation then when I did called them they couldn't help me, and like I said on the other post about the one guy on yahoo answers telling me I have to wait 8 years to apply for rehabilitation and he's telling me it won't be a guarantee as it clears me for tourist visas and not immigration. So again I don't what to do at this point because there are so many people giving me mixed answers.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,228 posts, read 2,862,044 times
Reputation: 5187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambinobetrippin View Post
All I want to know is what are my options at this point since I'm considered a inadmissible. As I said before I asked this question awhile ago on Yahoo answers about applying for criminal rehabilitation and this one guy said that I have to wait eight years and even if I do get approved I can only get a temporary visa and still won't be able to immigrate. So I hate saying this, but I don't know who to believe the website I was provided or the guy on yahoo answers.
As I posted before, please go to where you were arrested and see your records. You need a letter written by the local police station from anywhere you live anyway, even if you don't have a record. Until you know what your record is, you can't ask us what to do because you really don't know yourself.

I just asked my dad who is in law enforcement and he said, "if you go through rehabilitation, it's usually expunged. HOWEVER, if someone forgets to take it off the book, then it could show up in immigration. The person should go to wherever they were booked and see what their records state."

Please go to where you were booked as soon as possible and find out where you stand, then contact an immigration lawyer. I wouldn't believe most of the answers on Yahoo, to tell you the truth.
 
Old 01-17-2017, 05:39 PM
 
30 posts, read 15,687 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
As I posted before, please go to where you were arrested and see your records. You need a letter written by the local police station from anywhere you live anyway, even if you don't have a record. Until you know what your record is, you can't ask us what to do because you really don't know yourself.

I just asked my dad who is in law enforcement and he said, "if you go through rehabilitation, it's usually expunged. HOWEVER, if someone forgets to take it off the book, then it could show up in immigration. The person should go to wherever they were booked and see what their records state."

Please go to where you were booked as soon as possible and find out where you stand, then contact an immigration lawyer. I wouldn't believe most of the answers on Yahoo, to tell you the truth.
There's this state agency where I'm at (SLED) that handles expungements. I can pay 25 dollars to get a copy of my records that way. Does that count or do I still have to go to the local police station where I was booked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top