U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2017, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,912 posts, read 2,730,376 times
Reputation: 5084

Advertisements

I don't feel uncomfortable with Canada not paying its fair share while 22 more vulnerable European countries choose not to either. Canadian troops are defending Europe's eastern border this year.

Why is the U.S. spending so much? I suspect it's because it feels it is in it's own best interest. Otherwise, Trump would be talking cutbacks.

Last edited by cdnirene; 01-16-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2017, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't feel uncomfortable with Canada not paying its fair share while 22 more vulnerable European countries choose not to either. Canadian troops are defending Europe's eastern border this year.

Why is the U.S. spending so much? I suspect it's because it feels it is in it's own best interest. Otherwise, Trump would be talking cutbacks.
Well I disagree with you in the sense I simply don't think we are spending enough on Defense. 2 percent of our GDP isn't an egregious amount when we are talking about our own sovereignty. Besides, we may not always be as invulnerable as we have grown comfortable and accustomed too. 2 Percent - Its a reasonable amount, 1.1 percent not quite in my opinion. As for the U.S, I agree they do spend too much and it would better serve its citizenry cutting down military expenditures to more reasonable levels, reinvesting that money to either pay down their debt or use it towards domestic spending to deal with income inequality issues. They spend far more than the number 2 country in the world (China) in military expenditure so yes - they should claw back a bit and we should pony up a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,091 posts, read 1,459,600 times
Reputation: 1425
We should spend more than 2%. 2% of an economy like Canada and landmass our size is still not enough. I say 3%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 06:09 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nobody is ready for Trump, even Trump.
Speak for yourself. Nobody is too strong a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't feel uncomfortable with Canada not paying its fair share while 22 more vulnerable European countries choose not to either. Canadian troops are defending Europe's eastern border this year.

Why is the U.S. spending so much? I suspect it's because it feels it is in it's own best interest. Otherwise, Trump would be talking cutbacks.
You suspect?
It is 100% driven by self interest. Nothing else.

And let's not pretend it is "defense budget". It goes far beyond "defense".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 AM
 
449 posts, read 279,674 times
Reputation: 755
I wonder how much money is really needed to defend a country? Why an arbitrary guideline of 2% of GDP? I mean, 1% of GDP might sound pretty low, but when you consider the fact that Canada is the 10th largest economy in the world, that's still a lot of money, isn't it? Oh, and I absolutely agree with the previous post. Canada and Europe should not become unnecessarily militarized like the US is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,091 posts, read 1,459,600 times
Reputation: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I wonder how much money is really needed to defend a country? Why an arbitrary guideline of 2% of GDP? I mean, 1% of GDP might sound pretty low, but when you consider the fact that Canada is the 10th largest economy in the world, that's still a lot of money, isn't it? Oh, and I absolutely agree with the previous post. Canada and Europe should not become unnecessarily militarized like the US is.
Every country has a responsibility to defend their own sovereignty. At this time we can't even properly defend our own borders let alone contribute to NATO missions without asking for piggyback rides on other country's equipment.

We're right near the bottom of the list of percentage GDP spending at .99%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,955 posts, read 7,325,655 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
I wonder how much money is really needed to defend a country? Why an arbitrary guideline of 2% of GDP? I mean, 1% of GDP might sound pretty low, but when you consider the fact that Canada is the 10th largest economy in the world, that's still a lot of money, isn't it? Oh, and I absolutely agree with the previous post. Canada and Europe should not become unnecessarily militarized like the US is.
The argument could be made if not for the US' large defense budget, a lot of money that Canada and Europe spends on social programs would have to go to defense. However, I would favor a cut in my country's very high defense budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,593 posts, read 11,082,415 times
Reputation: 10306
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Speak for yourself. Nobody is too strong a word.
The Universe and all of creation then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The Universe and all of creation then.
still, speak for yourself. Your opinion counts as one individual, no more no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top