Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times

Advertisements

I am pretty excited about the upcoming change. I mean, there is a possibility the world order have change a bit.

It will be nice to the US raising trade barriers as Trump promised. It has been a US tradition anyway and the world is sick of "globalism" which made the rich richer everyday. If a trade war with China, great.

It will be great if the US force EU and Canada and other countries like Japan and Korea to defend themselves. The US defense budget is ridiculous high and it is stupid since the country can't afford to take care of its poor population. Simply makes no sense.

If Trump becomes friendly with Russia and stops this ideological based confrontation, he will be doing the world a big service. I don't think Russia is a bad country (fake news, CNN!), and there is nothing wrong for Russia to care for its national interest, just like the US does.

It will be interesting if Trump does recognize Taiwan. You sell a country billions of dollars of weapon each year and refuses to admit its existence, that's just hypocrisy. Eventually, you need to make a decision. Either recognize it or abandon it.

Exciting to see Trump's plan to relocate US embassy to Jerusalem. I have no interest in this, just want to see how it plays out.

His plan to make H1b visa more difficult (applicants have to make over $100k) will be interesting to see. There is this policy that companies shouldn't hire foreigners unless they can't find a qualified American... only in paper and seldom in practice. Time to stop this.

Tough on illegal immigrants - whether it is "mass deportation" as Boston Global envisions (tried to scare voters) or building that war, all great news. Illegal is illegal. There is no nice way around it. Make yourself legal before engaging a conversation. The laws are there for a reason.

Anyway, I am sick of the old world, all the sameness year after year. Let's make some change (the change Obama didn't achieve during his mandate). Don't really think Trump can make America great again, but at least changes will happen.

In sum, I am ready. In fact, can't wait. I am just afraid Trump might chicken out of the promises he made during the campaign, or in his tweets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 03:38 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Trudeau

Canada is so cool!

And we're............

not.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Exciting to see Trump's plan to relocate US embassy to Jerusalem. I have no interest in this, just want to see how it plays out.
It will end up being one of those decisions in history that people years later might forget who was responsible for it, because everybody will only remember the inevitable horrific attack(s?) on the US embassy in Jerusalem. It's kind of like goading your enemy...

Old 01-17-2017, 06:08 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It will end up being one of those decisions in history that people years later might forget who was responsible for it, because everybody will only remember the inevitable horrific attack(s?) on the US embassy in Jerusalem. It's kind of like goading your enemy...
So the US shouldn't build an embassy in its ally's capital because some animal thugs might not like it?

At least somebody north of the border has some huevos (can women have huevos? )
Kellie Leitch vows to move Canada’s embassy in Israel to Jerusalem

Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
So the US shouldn't build an embassy in its ally's capital because some animal thugs might not like it?

You would put lives at stake just to prove you have huevos? Seriously, there's a reason why Clinton, Bush, Obama all invoked a clause that will delay this action...it's a massive security risk, cowboy.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

Oh for heaven's sake! Would those be the same huevos that have got you quagmired in Iraq, stymied in Afghanistan, run out of Libya, embarrassingly ejected from Vietnam?

Get real kiddo; people die over your stupid "eggs" regardless if you have them on toast or just soft boiled.

Read some history about Canada's "cajones" and you'll readily see Kelly Leitch is nothing more than a "big mouthed" nutcase hoping to leverage a very minor segment of Canadian pop.

Regardless of the ethical imperatives behind deciding to put an embassy in Jerusalem; existance of gonads should have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

You vote for the loudmouth, bad comb-over, narcissistic, egomaniacs and we'll "hopefully" vote for demonstrated intellect. In that regard Kelly Leitch ain't even in the same postal zone as the more intelligent of her opponents running.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:30 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Canada is also a member of NORAD which I think is more crucial to the defence of Canada than is NATO. There is no such equivalent in Europe.

Besides, who would want to invade and occupy Canada? Considering our location, size and climate, it would be a logistical nightmare.
The only nation that has ever invaded Canada is the United States. The only nation that has ever invaded the United States is Britain through its Canadian colony. I think our adolescent nations have grown up a bit since then and we clearly are beyond all that, this is not 1812. NO foreign nation has the power to invade and occupy the US or Canada, we are protected by the oceans and our geography. North America is quite safe, NATO is more intended to secure and protect Europe. We all know what ww2 cost the US and Canada in both blood and treasure, the stability of NATO and even the EU are very valuable. Trump is wrong about this and almost every American supports NATO. Stability in Europe is in everyone's interest.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The only nation that has ever invaded Canada is the United States. The only nation that has ever invaded the United States is Britain through its Canadian colony. I think our adolescent nations have grown up a bit since then and we clearly are beyond all that, this is not 1812. NO foreign nation has the power to invade and occupy the US or Canada, we are protected by the oceans and our geography. North America is quite safe, NATO is more intended to secure and protect Europe. We all know what ww2 cost the US and Canada in both blood and treasure, the stability of NATO and even the EU are very valuable. Trump is wrong about this and almost every American supports NATO. Stability in Europe is in everyone's interest.
cost what?
If not for WW2, the US wouldn't be this rich and powerful in the first place. WW2 did the US a huge favour and it has only benefit from it. The gain massively overweighs the "cost".

Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
cost what?
If not for WW2, the US wouldn't be this rich and powerful in the first place. WW2 did the US a huge favour and it has only benefit from it. The gain massively overweighs the "cost".
Yes your correct about the economic benefit after we won the war, and I know Canada also benefited too. Our industry in North America was not damaged by the war and a lot of wealth was generated. However over 400000 Americans died in WW2, I don't know Canada's butcher bill bit no doubt it was also very high. No economic gain is worth that kind of loss of human life. NATO is intended to stand guard against aggression so we do t have to endure another world war like that. Also many in the US see the role our nation has taken on as a superpower as being a curse. It is expensive, much of what we try to do is well intentioned but has limited success all while making us one of the most hated nations on earth. World War Two and the allied victory is the event that led us to this role ( as you said). Before the war we were quite isolationist, a lot of Americans would like to see us return to isolationism.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes your correct about the economic benefit after we won the war, and I know Canada also benefited too. Our industry in North America was not damaged by the war and a lot of wealth was generated. However over 400000 Americans died in WW2, I don't know Canada's butcher bill bit no doubt it was also very high. No economic gain is worth that kind of loss of human life. NATO is intended to stand guard against aggression so we do t have to endure another world war like that. Also many in the US see the role our nation has taken on as a superpower as being a curse. It is expensive, much of what we try to do is well intentioned but has limited success all while making us one of the most hated nations on earth. World War Two and the allied victory is the event that led us to this role ( as you said). Before the war we were quite isolationist, a lot of Americans would like to see us return to isolationism.
I agree that nothing to worth losing 400000 lives, but it was America's choice and it benefit from it, the post war generations. Canada is irrelevant because there was no such country per se at that time. Canada fought because England demanded it too.

I am not sure about well intended - in fact, it is not well-intended at all in most cases, at least in the past few decades. The US becomes the leader because it chose to, not because it had to. And I don't think the US is most hated country either, however, it is only fair because that's the price one pays for power and influence.

And yes, the US returning to isolationism would be doing the world a great favour, judging by its failure in foreign policies elsewhere, well intended or not. The entire first 16 years of 21st century is filled with such failure and disasters that followed. The US is tired, and its people are tired. Maybe it is sensible to stop spending money in "defense" and start spending more on its people who are suffering. With all its wealth, the fact millions of Americans are living in poverty is mind boggling. Isn't that more important than carrying out just self-claimed justice in Iran or Ukraine?

And it is time to rethink about globalism too. This is why Trump can be a good thing. I am just glad Mr. Clinton didn't get to be on Obama's third term. That's the big picture. All the race/gender related issues are nothing yet people are obsessed with them because the liberal media make sensational headlines every day and feed it to it audience. The election was never about race/gender and only a misguided fool would think it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada