U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2017, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,747 posts, read 8,310,386 times
Reputation: 5798

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Exactly...there is a big difference between campaign rhetoric and reality on what you can do.....


Just to refresh your collective memory, Obama was against NAFTA on the campaign trail in 2008.....he even later admittred after "ohh it's all just campaign BS talk...."



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZJcxV-VQEY


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtnpqVUOtQ
He also vowed to close Gitmo during the campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 AM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,337,524 times
Reputation: 2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for heaven's sake! Would those be the same huevos that have got you quagmired in Iraq, stymied in Afghanistan, run out of Libya, embarrassingly ejected from Vietnam?

Get real kiddo; people die over your stupid "eggs" regardless if you have them on toast or just soft boiled.

Read some history about Canada's "cajones" and you'll readily see Kelly Leitch is nothing more than a "big mouthed" nutcase hoping to leverage a very minor segment of Canadian pop.

Regardless of the ethical imperatives behind deciding to put an embassy in Jerusalem; existance of gonads should have nothing whatsoever to do with it.

You vote for the loudmouth, bad comb-over, narcissistic, egomaniacs and we'll "hopefully" vote for demonstrated intellect. In that regard Kelly Leitch ain't even in the same postal zone as the more intelligent of her opponents running.
Sometimes you need to take a stand in life. If your neighbor is parking his car on your lawn, are you going to allow him to keep doing it because he has a short fuse and might seek retribution? Cowering in fear and acquiescing to lunatics is not going to bring peace. Acquiescence emboldens those who use such tactics. This week one car on your lawn, next week two cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 06:47 AM
 
18,282 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Sometimes you need to take a stand in life. If your neighbor is parking his car on your lawn, are you going to allow him to keep doing it because he has a short fuse and might seek retribution? Cowering in fear and acquiescing to lunatics is not going to bring peace. Acquiescence emboldens those who use such tactics. This week one car on your lawn, next week two cars.

Okay...if you say so.

By the by; if your stand results in an Arab uprising, Saudi Royal Family de-stabilization (your buddies with oil) so that the U.S. is drawn into yet another mid-east rumble in the desert, are you going to be first in line to don a lid and tote a pack?

How many Americans would agree with your "sometimes ya gotta take a stand" if that stand resulted in yet more of your troops dying with no visible end in sight other than walking away with your tail between your legs and calling it a "strategic withdrawal".

I essentially do not disagree with the concept of supporting Israel with location of embassies, diplomatic missions, etc..

We have ignored so many other times to take a stand. One being when Israel had to withdraw from land it had gained during the numerous wars Arabs started. Allowing them to keep conquered territory might have gone a long way to convince petulant and ignorant Arabs to stop behaving badly across the whole region for the last two generations of "so-called" Palestinian kiddies, while still in the womb, being trained to hate Jews.

It will undoubtedly be interesting to watch Trump pattern his foreign policy and to some degree satisfying to see to the extent to which Russia, versus the U.N. has a say in that policy.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-18-2017 at 06:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 AM
 
2,412 posts, read 1,323,950 times
Reputation: 5744
Unfortunately it is clear that all too many Canadians these days have few critical thinking skills and seem simply too lazy to do much more than gobble up the daily dose of MSM news regurgitated by the Canadian media and think it is truth.


Yes, I am ready for Trump. While I think that his presidency may have some ramifications for Canada, and not all of them will be good as far as most of you are concerned, I am fairly certain he will be good for America - and the world in general - if he can begin to reverse some of the damage done by administrations over the past several decades.


Sovereignty - I don't quite understand why Canadians don't support the US when it comes to trying to regain some sovereignty and enforce the rule of law. Don't we want the same up here?


Being taken over by other countries IS happening - to both the US and Canada - but the way it is being done is not for the most part violent so you don't apparently recognize that it is war nonetheless. We are being quietly infiltrated by 'change agents' who seek to diminish our sovereignty over time and to replace American and Canadian 'values' with their own. This is why immigration control is critical. It is fine to admit people but the flow rate and the quality of the immigrants must be controlled vehemently and smartly if we want to retain any national identity - and if we don't have a national identity, we don't have sovereignty and at that point we WILL cease to be a country. Canada isn't being overrun by illegals at this point as the US is but we could very well be in future if we don't stay vigilant.


Being governed by 'world bodies' has gone way too far as well. The further government is from your house, the less you can have any influence whatsoever over its control over you. And their insidious invasiveness is increasing radically every year. Time to put the brakes on that. You cannot even elect these people who are now the nanny state at arms length. Into whose pockets do you really think things like 'carbon taxes' are going to go? And what good do you think that money going into those far removed pockets will do to help your own neighbourhood, your own country in the end?


And let's not even get into what passes for education these days. In the US, more and more state universities are requiring that their students - all of them, not just liberal arts students - take 'Civics' courses that these days are really a cover for 'activism 101' - how to incite violence on the streets (required assignments = protesting!) - not the learning that should take place about the institutions that govern the country and the history that went into making their country unique. I would hazard a guess that if that kind of course has not yet hit Canadian universities, it will soon. Civil unrest is the enemy of what we all should be seeking - not just because it can destroy individual lives and businesses, but because it distracts from the things we really need to be concentrating on. Canadian universities now seem on track to similarly indoctrinate their students (at rapidly rising costs!) with liberal values that are less than smart or stellar. When their mission is and should be to promote open minds .. they are closing them rapidly. It is easy to just yell mantras and run into the streets screaming about one injustice after another these days .. what is difficult is to really reason and understand and carefully examine all sides of an issue before acting in everyone's interests.


And to the person who said that Canada was not a country during WW2 - perhaps you have some basic history reading to do. Of course Canada was a 'country' (though its people were still technically British subjects till 1949) - since 1867. Do you even know that Canada is celebrating its 150th birthday this year? Its constitution existed - it was just physically resident in Britain at the time. Britain could however NOT demand that Canada or Canadians enter the war - Canada did that of its own accord because it cared about its allies, because Canadians wanted to show support for Britain, because Canada was a part of the Commonwealth (but Canada was not controlled by Britain at that point in our history). Canada also lost more people (all volunteers) during WW2 on a per capita basis than the US did .. just fyi - not more men total but the effect on Canada was actually more devastating than that of the losses in the US (though both were horrible).


Trump believes in peace through strength. So do I. There is nothing wrong with military spending (and indeed it can be good for the economy as a whole if the spending is mostly within the country - and is a great place for young people to learn skills and discipline) if it means you never have to use it. And the military alone has pulled many out of poverty. Veterans should be revered and well taken care of. The amount spent balances out over time when the benefits it can yield become evident. Walk softly and carry a big stick works. You may not think Trump is a guy to 'walk softly' but I think (I hope) we will all be pleasantly surprised that he can be if we give him the chance. He has earned the right to that chance - far more than any other presidential candidate in recent years has. Stop fighting and ridiculing him ... let's just see where he can take us all - both Canadians and Americans.


p.s. Trump is sly like a fox. He was right to not rile up Russia during these past few months. The US is lucky to have elected someone with that much ability to act the right way for a change. The Russian situation is very complicated and possibly presents much danger over the next while if not handled correctly. I have much more confidence that Trump will handle Russia much better than the other candidate who fortunately was not elected.

Last edited by Aery11; 01-18-2017 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Reputation: 7309
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Nat are you capable of a modicum of critical thinking without just spewing mainstream media narrative?

Putin is not the aggressor, the west has encircled Russia for years hoping to break it apart and Putin finally fought back as any country would do under siege.

The US and others meddle in other countries election all the time, payback is a bi.....

Obama has openly tried to influence the UK referendum on Brexit.
My critical thinking skills are fine. I fully understand how " the world works " and have had great discussions with a former Canadian diplomat, Russian immigrants, and people that I got to know through a friends work who live in the Baltic states. Hint, the Baltic States are worried.

For Canadians, choosing an aggressor, I'd go with the US over Russia ANY day. This is NOT an endorsement of some of the horrible and oil driven wars the US has created, but a choosing over which country is more aligned with my values overall.

Comparing Obama's trip to the UK to encourage a NO vote, is not quite the same as secretly trying to influence the US elections. That said, I'm not so blind as to know that the US has done the same to other countries.

HOWEVER this time the game is much more dangerous than a trade deal being changed.

Do you REALLY think that it's a good thing that the Russians have influence over the US president and that US president doesn't like his own intelligence agencies because he disagrees with the information? Or do you think that it's all just a big MSM conspiracy because that takes NO evidence, or very little, to believe?

I think the answer is fairly obvious, regardless of what you post here. You have already chosen the U.S.A.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-18-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Reputation: 7309
It boggles the mind. Anyone that thinks that TRUMP has the capability of making sound choices, should question themselves by just watching the Senate Confirmation choices.

This one is so sad.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6k2b-AEfU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,521 posts, read 20,910,960 times
Reputation: 13856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It boggles the mind. Anyone that thinks that TRUMP has the capability of making sound choices, should question themselves by just watching the Senate Confirmation choices.

This one is so sad.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6k2b-AEfU
In many major cities, the real swindlers are the educational bureaucrats, working hand-in-hand with Democratic politicians who have grown fat and corrupt through decades of power, are beholden only to the teachers and custodians unions, and who shortchange the children in their charge and the families whose tax dollars they squander on social engineering and second-rate academics. ANY change is worth a try.

If you need convincing, ask the concerned Democrat Senators whether their children attend public schools in Washington D.C. Ask the Democrat politicians in Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, or any major blue-state city the same thing.

Offering minority parents the option of sending their children to alternative schools, as the wealthy Democrat politicians do, is frightening to progressives. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Reputation: 10308
I could care less about the policies in general, as well as the appointees, and all the other rigamarole. Both parties are all bought and paid for so many times over, it's meaningless which one gets in.


Trump worries me more because of three things. He's petty, he's vindictive, and he acts quickly without full information and/or understanding of the consequences.


There is a 0.0% chance that a President should have a public comment about satire regarding him. Yet every SNL or negative thing that comes out, he has a need to issue a tweet denouncing it as sad, or the person is a failure, or something to pump his own tires.


He specifically goes after people that, in his mind, have wronged him, and issues statements that have tangible consequences. Such as the impact to GM share prices when he went off on Canadian jobs moving to Mexico, because he didn't hear the full report.


He is a dangerous loose cannon, and not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,073,162 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My critical thinking skills are fine. I fully understand how " the world works " and have had great discussions with a former Canadian diplomat, Russian immigrants, and people that I got to know through a friends work who live in the Baltic states. Hint, the Baltic States are worried.

There are as many people worried about Western meddling and influence in the Russian sphere of influence not to mention NGO organizations that actively worked inside Russia to destabilize the country.

You could even have a chat with some Syrian immigrants in Vancouver about ISIS and how they view Russia

Quote:
For Canadians, choosing an aggressor, I'd go with the US over Russia ANY day. This is NOT an endorsement of some of the horrible and oil driven wars the US has created, but a choosing over which country is more aligned with my values overall.
You see, that is where the lack of critical skill and capability to see the big picture is evident...Russia is not the aggressor here, at all....Russia has been encircled for years by western military bases not to mention the political maneuvering (corrupt, cajoling and co-opt) in its neighbor states and the orchestration of a coup in Ukraine to remove a legitimate elected president (corrupt as much as the new regime but still a democratically elected one)...what about the entire Syrian debacle where one of the real final objective is to strangle Russia economically (hint: Persian Gulf natural gas to Europe)

I'm not saying that Putin is an angel....far from it, he is a tough SOB but it stands for the integrity of the Russian state and the protection of Russian sphere of influence....he's being seen as an "aggressor" because finally, after years, he's fighting back (and with internal approval number to shame any US administration).....and you and the other brainwashed masses swallow the official narrative hook line and sinker.

Quote:
Comparing Obama's trip to the UK to encourage a NO vote, is not quite the same as secretly trying to influence the US elections. That said, I'm not so blind as to know that the US has done the same to other countries.
First of all, there are still no definitive proof of Russian hacking other than what the Intelligence agencies say so far...and Obama meddling with the UK referendum is as serious, the EU is not just a trade organization.

Second, Americans should be grateful to know what was going on at the DNC, regardless of who did the hacking.

Quote:
HOWEVER this time the game is much more dangerous than a trade deal being changed.
The game is about Russia wanting to be left alone and I would gladly go along with it.

Quote:
Do you REALLY think that it's a good thing that the Russians have influence over the US president
That is pure fantasy,

Quote:
and that US president doesn't like his own intelligence agencies because he disagrees with the information? Or do you think that it's all just a big MSM conspiracy because that takes NO evidence, or very little, to believe?
Both the traditional parties are war parties paid to keep the enormous military industrial complex going, I have no illusion of Trump trying to change that course but I'm sure I'm glad to see someone trying. If you think that Hillary was not a warmonger I have a bridge in Vancouver to sell.....interested??

Quote:
I think the answer is fairly obvious, regardless of what you post here.
The answer is obvious if you follow the logic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 2,073,162 times
Reputation: 1256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It boggles the mind. Anyone that thinks that TRUMP has the capability of making sound choices, should question themselves by just watching the Senate Confirmation choices.

This one is so sad.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6k2b-AEfU


...so what is that is supposed to demonstrate?? That people getting in these positions usually do not need student loans for their kids?? Or that political appointees for heads of department often do not have specific experience in that field??

Student aid financial outlays are out of control and I welcome a fresh set of eyes to look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top