U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
Reputation: 10316

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I read on Wikipedia that the best-selling brand in Canada last year was Budweiser.
It likely is. It's hard to compete with marketing and presence. Part of the challenge with macros is that often they have a serious monopoly. Try going to a sporting event or concert where one of the big boys is a sponsor and drinking anything else. They may have some "craft" beer there, but it will be one of the boutique brewers owned by the larger corporation.


The one major thing to note for beers is where they're brewed. You cannot discount the quality of the water or other ingredients. Drink Bud made in St. Louis, Houston or New York you could notice small variances that are worked on daily to maintain a consistency. Now, take the same brand, brewed under license by Labatt, and change your entire supply chain. There will be a noticeable change. Yes it's the same recipe, but local variations change it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6718
Bob and Doug would be shocked at what became of their beloved beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
Reputation: 10316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Bob and Doug would be shocked at what became of their beloved beer.
Once you get past the first six, it doesn't really matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,461,380 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It likely is. It's hard to compete with marketing and presence. Part of the challenge with macros is that often they have a serious monopoly. Try going to a sporting event or concert where one of the big boys is a sponsor and drinking anything else. They may have some "craft" beer there, but it will be one of the boutique brewers owned by the larger corporation.


The one major thing to note for beers is where they're brewed. You cannot discount the quality of the water or other ingredients. Drink Bud made in St. Louis, Houston or New York you could notice small variances that are worked on daily to maintain a consistency. Now, take the same brand, brewed under license by Labatt, and change your entire supply chain. There will be a noticeable change. Yes it's the same recipe, but local variations change it.
I guess it all boils down to how much paint thinner you need to add to keep it tasting the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,958 posts, read 27,383,424 times
Reputation: 8612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I read on Wikipedia that the best-selling brand in Canada last year was Budweiser.
Well, before Bud it was likely Labatt's Blue, so I don't know if that's really trading up or trading down...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,602 posts, read 11,093,754 times
Reputation: 10316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, before Bud it was likely Labatt's Blue, so I don't know if that's really trading up or trading down...
I'm actually surprised it's not Bud Light like the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Way back when I started to drink beer, Canadian macro brews for the most part tasted stronger, or seemed to have more taste.
The US macro brews tasted weaker and were fizzier. Also, in the US, until 1996, they couldn't advertise the alcohol content on beer, like we do in Canada. . That could of caused some confusion as to what you are drinking since we tend to think heavier tasting equal higher alcohol content. The lighter taste in those days of macro US beers was one the reason we used to say US beer tastes like P***

Another thing that is different is that different states have different laws regarding alcohol content. Minor differences, but after six it may make a difference LOL.

This from Beer for Dummies

"A pint of alcohol, on the other hand, weighs only 0.79 pound. So a beer with an alcohol content of 3.2 percent by weight is actually 4 percent by volume. A beer that is 4 percent by weight is actually 5 percent by volume."

Understanding the Alcohol Content of Beer - dummies

For me though, this is all beer under the bridge. Macro brews for the most part I find lacking. So many more choices out there now in both countries.

It's a good time to be a beer drinker in Canada and the US. I for one, who remembers drinking wonderful brews in Germany and even The Netherlands in the '80's is glad for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,552 posts, read 9,429,171 times
Reputation: 6718
I thought dark beer would be more popular in Canada than the US. A heavier beer for colder climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I thought dark beer would be more popular in Canada than the US. A heavier beer for colder climates.
Do have any stats for that? I can't find any yet.

My guess though, is that in both countries it was lagers and pilsners mainly back in the day and that still carries through a bit depending on your generation?

I doubt Hipsters are drinking Molson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
5,960 posts, read 7,331,199 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Canadian alcohol content is measured in ABV, not ABW, so a 5% ABV Canadian beer equals a 4% ABW American one in alcohol content. It's a popular Canadian myth up here that our macro beer has more alcohol.
I didn't turn 21 that long ago so I don't know how beers were in the early 2000's of course but when I go out, I see plenty of beers with at least 6% ABW down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top