U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:58 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,749,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is Carling popular in Canada?
As always, when you speak of Canadian beer, you have to ask, "Carling what?"

Carling Black Label? It's available here in Alberta, but not terribly popular. Other Carlings are unavailable locally, but I do remember about three other Carlings from when I lived in Ontario.

I used to get a kick out of American business associates who were up here on business. At the end of the day, we'd go out for dinner. They'd ask for a Molson, and the waitperson would ask, "Molson what?" The American would look surprised, and usually respond, "There's more than one?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
I well remember the old ditty of an ad that went Mable, Black Label, Carlings Black Label Beer.....

Anybody remember Red Cap Ale... Growing up it was Red Cap or Labatts 50 in the trunk of the 55 Pontiac to go cruising the side roads. Save up the Can Trash gas coupons and buy a new tire (6.25 X 15") every couple of weeks for the off-side rear wheel after you'd burned it down to the cords impressing your friends.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
As always, when you speak of Canadian beer, you have to ask, "Carling what?"

Carling Black Label? It's available here in Alberta, but not terribly popular. Other Carlings are unavailable locally, but I do remember about three other Carlings from when I lived in Ontario.

I used to get a kick out of American business associates who were up here on business. At the end of the day, we'd go out for dinner. They'd ask for a Molson, and the waitperson would ask, "Molson what?" The American would look surprised, and usually respond, "There's more than one?"
LOL

When I worked on VIA back in 1980 we didn't have any US brand beers for sale on the train. So when Americans got over the shock, they would then ask for a Canadian Beer. It always got amusing when I tried to clarify if they want A Canadian, or any Canadian beer.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Is Carling popular in Canada?
It started in Canada in 1843 in London, Ontario.

It's now owned by Molson's.

https://www.carling.com/heritage

Extra Old Stock ( Black Label )was very popular at one time, not so much now. They now have a Black Label Supreme, which is 8 percent.

There are just too many really good craft beers out there. The local government liquor stores are carrying more and more local brews.

A friend arranged a craft beer crawl for a few of us here in Vancouver. Some really tasty fresh beers. The ONLY major brewery I buy from these days is the occasional Alexander Keith's or perhaps a Kokanee on a hot day.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:30 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,402,418 times
I drink Coors. A six-pack of 16-ounce cans costs less than six dollars here.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:23 AM

34,361 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Heres some beer prices from our local grocery store in Montreal=https://www.iga.net/en/online_grocer...Beverages/Beer

Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I drink Coors. A six-pack of 16-ounce cans costs less than six dollars here.
A lot of tax on alcohol here. We call it the SIN tax

Old 04-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A lot of tax on alcohol here. We call it the SIN tax
I arrived home in Canada just in time for some snow to arrive and to once again get re-acquainted with Ontario's cluster flop monopoly set up of essentially having to pay twice for one case of beer. Cripes!

Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I arrived home in Canada just in time for some snow to arrive and to once again get re-acquainted with Ontario's cluster flop monopoly set up of essentially having to pay twice for one case of beer. Cripes!
Ya, but it keeps me in line

Just paid $11 something on a six pack of this local brew.

Main Street Pilsner – Main Street Brewing Company

It's good though, having one now

Old 04-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ya, but it keeps me in line

Just paid $11 something on a six pack of this local brew.

Main Street Pilsner Main Street Brewing Company

It's good though, having one now
Sounds good.

In reference to an earlier post, O'Keefe used to have one called Extra Old Stock as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or