U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:11 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,787,713 times

Advertisements

Re: Michael Chong ...
I want to mention the elephant that should be in the room here.
Is Canada really ready to have a semi-ethich Prime Minister? Look at all the hate Oliva Chow got ( yes .. yes I know she was also a woman and did some other things that were controversial)?
It is like Obama in the sense that even though he is 1/2 white ... a lot of people just coined him as the black possibly Muslim guy running for President and a lot of what he stood for was over shadowed by ignorance and things that were not really relevant ex where his father was from and his ethnic name.

I think Canada should be ready for a Prime Minister from any ethnic background or gender.... but I also am female, 2nd generation Candian, live in a major city which is very multicultural that is also a city that tends not to vote conservative.

I guess the better question is are the parts of Canada that typically vote in support of conservative leaders tolerant enough to vote in a semi-ethnic Prime Minister? I personally think qualifications should always out weigh all other factors... but sadly sometimes this is not really what ends up happening ( ex Trump vs Clinton)

Will Conservative Canada... which to my understanding is more "white" Canada ( an I could likely be very wrong as this is my assumption) be willing to back something with the last name Chong?

Regardless ... as long standing Liberal ... there is like a 5% chance I would vote conservative regardless of who was the head or tail of the party, but as in the case with Harper ... even though I did not vote for him he still one. So I am realzing now that even though I likely will not vote conservative, since there is a 50/50 chance it could do either way I should actually care alot about who the conservative party leader is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 07:34 AM

18,286 posts, read 10,386,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Is Canada really ready to have a semi-ethich Prime Minister? Look at all the hate Oliva Chow got ( yes .. yes I know she was also a woman and did some other things that were controversial)?
It is like Obama in the sense that even though he is 1/2 white ... a lot of people just coined him as the black possibly Muslim guy running for President and a lot of what he stood for was over shadowed by ignorance and things that were not really relevant ex where his father was from and his ethnic name.

I think Canada should be ready for a Prime Minister from any ethnic background or gender.... but I also am female, 2nd generation Canadian, live in a major city which is very multicultural that is also a city that tends not to vote conservative.

I guess the better question is are the parts of Canada that typically vote in support of conservative leaders tolerant enough to vote in a semi-ethnic Prime Minister? I personally think qualifications should always out weigh all other factors... but sadly sometimes this is not really what ends up happening ( ex Trump vs Clinton)

Will Conservative Canada... which to my understanding is more "white" Canada ( an I could likely be very wrong as this is my assumption) be willing to back something with the last name Chong?

Regardless ... as long standing Liberal ... there is like a 5% chance I would vote conservative regardless of who was the head or tail of the party, but as in the case with Harper ... even though I did not vote for him he still one. So I am realzing now that even though I likely will not vote conservative, since there is a 50/50 chance it could do either way I should actually care alot about who the conservative party leader is.
A very good point. I know exactly whereof you speak about the inherent reluctance of mainstream Canada to adopt visible minorities as national leaders. We rise above it in accepting those selected for us as cabinet members or holders of certain portfolios but it is a valid concern to ponder if Canadians would perform the "selecting" themselves.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:13 AM

8,598 posts, read 11,088,073 times
Quote:

I think Canada should be ready for a Prime Minister from any ethnic background or gender.... but I also am female, 2nd generation Candian, live in a major city which is very multicultural that is also a city that tends not to vote conservative.

It's less of an issue since we don't actually vote for the PM.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:56 AM

242 posts, read 165,088 times
Quote:
Does he even live in Canada? This would be an issue for me. Yes is owns property in Toronto and in Boston, but where does he really live? I am not really liking the idea of the semi-Canadian president. You either live here or you don't. Pick a residence.

If the person running for Prime Minister does not live in Canada full time and I am not feeling this. Otherwise we might as well just outsource the role of Prime Minster to the lowest most quality person or coportation willing to take on the job.
He has been quoted as saying that he considers Boston home (Where is home? Kevin O’Leary who). I agree that if you are running for prime minister you ought to live in Canada. In fact this turned out to be an issue for Michael Ignatieff in 2011.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:06 AM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's less of an issue since we don't actually vote for the PM.
What do you mean? If I like the liberal party, but could not stand the leader... my vote may very likely be up for grabs. I am liberal... but I could swing NDP if I like the party leader better. The way I seen things I am getting to select a party and leader that I want to represent the country. I usually vote liberal because these values better reflect my interests and values. To date they have never picked a party leader I really did not like. If that was the case I would consider changing my vote.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Default ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 514gal View Post
He has been quoted as saying that he considers Boston home (Where is home? Kevin O’Leary who). I agree that if you are running for prime minister you ought to live in Canada. In fact this turned out to be an issue for Michael Ignatieff in 2011.
Well ... lol. That is how quickly he lost my support for being the conservative leader. Call it disqualification based on technical realities. You don't live in the country full time... they I am not okay with you being the head of the country. On the next canidate as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

8,598 posts, read 11,088,073 times
Quote:
What do you mean? If I like the liberal party, but could not stand the leader... my vote may very likely be up for grabs. I am liberal... but I could swing NDP if I like the party leader better. The way I seen things I am getting to select a party and leader that I want to represent the country. I usually vote liberal because these values better reflect my interests and values. To date they have never picked a party leader I really did not like. If that was the case I would consider changing my vote.
I mean quite simply, you don't vote for PM.

Your decision process may include who is the leader, but your actual vote only elects an MP.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:15 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,511,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kevin O'Leary monolingual? Is it even possible for him to become prime minister of Canada if he doesn't speak French?
Ironically he was born in Quebec....Montreal....
and did a fair amount of his schooling in the province...
but back then it was not unusual for "Anglo" Quebekers
to not parlez vous

I bet he now regrets not making more of an effort
trying to speak French growing up.

As for not living in Canada ..yeah that could be a problem.

I like him, could be good for Canada, I think he thinks
much more like Trump than Trudeau.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:21 AM

34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Kevin O'Leary monolingual? Is it even possible for him to become prime minister of Canada if he doesn't speak French?
lets say his French is very poor and would not pass the test of speaking French to francophones.I'm not sure its mandatory for a prime minister to speak to francophones in French,courteous yes but mandatory? seems our current Prime minister doesnt feel the need to respond to English questions in English if he's in Quebec so language from a PM comes down to personal choice.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 AM

18,286 posts, read 10,386,738 times
It'll soon descend to which language do I open with when addressing a totally bilingual event in a province other than Quebec and you can bet your bippy there will be repercussions either way he chooses to go.

All this language nonsense has assumed pre-eminence to the exclusion of common sense, logical indifference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada